The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

XBL Sale Roundup: October 4th, 2016

• Posted on 05 October 16 at 15:40Permalink
    Crash Bandicoot: Mind Over Mutant is listed at $4.99 for US and Canada
  • TitianDanTitianDan764,021
    Posted on 05 October 16 at 18:07Permalink
    I don't know if i should post this one here, but on my ready to install section, Bejeweled 3 has just popped up, even though I've never brought it. I checked online to see whether or not I had, and I haven't. But cool, free game :)
    D Jones
  • Majjus91Majjus91122,257
    Posted on 05 October 16 at 20:21Permalink
    Do you have EA Access, TitianDan? ;-)
    I think, that all the PopCap Games are downloadable with Access!
  • TitianDanTitianDan764,021
    Posted on 05 October 16 at 20:31Permalink
    Majjus91 said:
    Do you have EA Access, TitianDan? ;-)
    I think, that all the PopCap Games are downloadable with Access!
    No i don't actually lol :p i think i just got lucky maybe? Unless other people r having it too :p
    D Jones
  • MBGrunnNLMBGrunnNL561,239
    Posted on 05 October 16 at 22:20Permalink
    Wednesday 5 october . In Ready To Install Section My games and apps, Feeding Frenzy 1 & 2, Heavy weapon and Bejeweled 2 Popped up as ready to install, never bought them so get it while it's still there! People also reported that zuma also included in the list , maybe a gold freebee or something Bc being anniversary or some? Don't know but thought to let u know!smile
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,805,195
    Posted on 05 October 16 at 23:22Permalink
    Why buy a digital Division for $36 when you can a used copy from GameStop for $25? SMH.
  • Kamata50Kamata50369,701
    Posted on 06 October 16 at 06:03Permalink
    Can anyone recommend both Crash games? They're still expensive for a second hand copy at the shops.
  • NaberiosNaberios889,994
    Posted on 06 October 16 at 17:13Permalink
    Silicon Iceman said:
    Rista B said:
    AC Syndicate pricing is silly. Amazon has the base game for sale under $20 almost every single day. They need to reflect the real market price in the US (can't speak to other regions) and get serious about offering a decent price on either the base game, the gold edition or both.
    They don't NEED to reflect the market price because A) They can price whatever they want since it's their marketplace and B) they can charge a premium because of the convenience you are getting for not having to go to the store and buy one or wait days for it to be shipped to you. The convenience of getting it "on demand" is usually worth something to consumers.
    And so is the savings that companies get from having ZERO overhead on digital products. I'm so tired of this ignorant argument. They call it a "convenience" and sheep just gobble it up and pass that shit along like it's the gospel.
    [insert witty yet thought provoking comment here]
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead504,752
    Posted on 07 October 16 at 02:15, Edited on 07 October 16 at 02:16 by HolyHalfDeadPermalink
    Naberios said:
    And so is the savings that companies get from having ZERO overhead on digital products. I'm so tired of this ignorant argument. They call it a "convenience" and sheep just gobble it up and pass that shit along like it's the gospel.
    ZERO overhead you say, what about the cost of the servers, replicated storage, backup, power, cooling, ISP charges, data center staff salaries, building rental. All of which is passed on to the publisher as a marketplace listing free and sales cut. A store can clear it's shelves or warehouses of old games, whereas even delisted DLC has to remain available from the data center for a substantial period, so part of the price is going towards that. Xbox 360 DLC that was delisted 10 years ago that Microsoft has received no income from since then is still available to re-download.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,805,195
    Posted on 10 October 16 at 13:46Permalink
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Naberios said:
    ZERO overhead you say, what about the cost of the servers, replicated storage, backup, power, cooling, ISP charges, data center staff salaries, building rental. All of which is passed on to the publisher as a marketplace listing free and sales cut. A store can clear it's shelves or warehouses of old games, whereas even delisted DLC has to remain available from the data center for a substantial period, so part of the price is going towards that. Xbox 360 DLC that was delisted 10 years ago that Microsoft has received no income from since then is still available to re-download.
    A store can clear its shelves or warehouses of old games after having already purchased inventory from the distributor, taking up space on the shelves and finally having to take a loss on the physical product. After which point the publisher has already made their money when the store purchased it.

The servers, replicated storage, yada yada is all part of the package already. If a game is an online game, all of that is already there. And if a dev decides to ship a game when they know it's going to need a patch, guess what? All of those issues crop up already. And how many games are there that don't have some sort of patch? Not many.

Selling a game digitally means they not only make a sale, but they don't sell it wholesale, either. That means they're keeping the markup. And if the digital price is higher than a store price (new OR used), then they're keeping that difference.

The overhead isn't zero, but it's a lot less than the difference between a digital online price and a retail online price. The prices could be much lower, and it's ridiculous that a game like The Division is being heralded as on sale for $36 when I can buy it right now at GameStop for $25. Or for $31.60 if I want it new from Amazon.

And Ubi, if you're reading this, I still want my damn Dog of War.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.