Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Twisted Pixel Acquired by Microsoft

AuthorMessage
litepink
litepink
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:05
A bold step forward

Please click here to read the story: Twisted Pixel Acquired by Microsoft

Credit goes to xPut Name Herex for this story
Ahayzo
Ahayzo
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:07
I see this only as a good thing. Twisted Pixel's development and ideas + some of Microsoft's money = Gunstringing 'Splosion Maw Comics!!
Vash Gryphon
Vash Gryphon
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:09
I hope this move really opens some doors for the guys at Twisted Pixel, there work is top notch :D
Matrarch
Matrarch
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:11
As I've said before to others, so long as MS lets them do their thing- like the absolutely wonderful Wavy Tubeman Chronicles"- then I see absolutely no problem with this. It only means more, better funded goodness from the minds at Twisted Pixel.
Joshnorm
Joshnorm
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:14
If they stay hands off and allow them to do what they want to do this will be great (similar to the Turn 10 studios who keep pumping out amazing Forza's) but I would be worried since they picked them up after Gunstringer that they might be forcing them into Kinect only zone or push them to where Rare is today (still Rare give me my KI3 and stop teasing)
Dynosaw
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:17
Looks like MS will let them continue doing what they're doing, it's working, so why would MS interfere.
WoodenSheep
WoodenSheep
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:17
agree with everyone else, hoping they'll let twisted pixel work their stuff :D
Gennady25X
King Nothing
King Nothing
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:18
Very happy about this. More resources for Twisted Pixel will mean even better games from one of my favorite developers.
I'm a walking paradox, no I'm not.
OmegaRob3rt
OmegaRob3rt
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:18
If it gives them more resources for creating great games, it's definately a good decision.
wbs
wbs
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:20
Kinda scary now Microsoft can tell them what games they can and cannot make. There is benefits and draw backs to this.
wbs
wbs
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:22
Joshnorm said:
If they stay hands off and allow them to do what they want to do this will be great (similar to the Turn 10 studios who keep pumping out amazing Forza's) but I would be worried since they picked them up after Gunstringer that they might be forcing them into Kinect only zone or push them to where Rare is today (still Rare give me my KI3 and stop teasing)
Exactly what I was thinking Rare was my favorite game developer and now Microsoft is turning them into Kinect only crap. If Twisted Pixel ends up like this to it will be another good game developer down the drain.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:25
Sounds great. The one thing Microsoft games need is more character/personality. Forza, PGR and to some degree Halo are really just templates and they only really come alive when you add people's creativity into the mix.

Microsoft uses formulas to predict how profitable a game will be and it these that can sometimes make a game a little bland. Fable consistently outperforms these formulas by selling a lot more than the predictions. Perhaps this is because Fable actually has a personality/character rather than being just another template title.

I see this as a very big step in the right direction. In order to tell a decent story you need to have decent characters.
blkalleykat
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:35
Microsoft made a good decision. I agree with everyone else and the article with Rare. Hopefully Microsoft doesn't try to dictate what type games they should and shouldn't make then the creative juices should be free to flow into any genre.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:49, Edited on 12 October 11 at 16:58 by
Also I think it's time to do away with some of the rose-tinted Rare memories. They had some duff games too y'know. Personally I found DKR and Mickey Mouse Racing to be poor compared to Mario Kart. What Rare used to excel in (N64-wise) was taking a Nintendo engine/approach and tweaking it to produce their own game (Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 were based upon what Mario 64 had started).

Goldeneye was a fluke. The multiplayer was added shortly before launch as an afterthought. Then the original creators left Rare and setup Free Radical. Whilst Free Radicals' TimeSplitters series was fun it never quite attained the accuracy of the original Goldeneye. So if you want to badger any company about making a Goldeneye sequel you'd best get onto Free Radical (Now owned by Crytek) and ask them to put a Goldeneye level of accuracy into the next TimeSplitters game. Because that's where the original Goldeneye brains are!

Rare always do their own thing and it seems they have fallen out of favour with some of their oldschool faithful. I suggest we have a little faith and allow them to find their own niche again.
Jaggexedge
Jaggexedge
Posted on 12 October 11 at 16:53
I love Twisted Pixel, I hope this gives them the financial ability to take even more risks and make even greater games.
V3ntilator
V3ntilator
Posted on 12 October 11 at 17:02
Rare had its glory days on N64 and even had a good launch game for GameCube, but they started to fail on Xbox.
The brains behind Rare quitted as soon as MS bought them, because they didnt wanna work for Microsoft. Microsoft Rare is not the same Rare that was on Nintendo.

Still MS payed 3 times the value of the company. Nintendo sold them like instantly, because Rare slowed down and never got to finish their games.

The only "Rare" Xbox 360 game that is really on par with their Glory days is "Kameo".
Kameo is still one of the best 360 games i played. It was originally for GameCube btw.

Twisted Pixels had their glory days on 360, so its a different case. It cant be compared to Rare.
V3ntilator
V3ntilator
Posted on 12 October 11 at 17:04
wiirule111 said:
Rare had its glory days on N64 and even had a good launch game for GameCube, but they started to fail on Xbox.
The brains behind Rare quitted as soon as MS bought them, because they didnt wanna work for Microsoft. Microsoft Rare is not the same Rare that was on Nintendo.

Still MS payed 3 times the value of the company. Nintendo sold them like instantly, because Rare slowed down and never got to finish their games.

The only "Rare" Xbox 360 game that is really on par with their Glory days is "Kameo".
Kameo is still one of the best 360 games i played. It was originally for GameCube btw.

Nintendo formed Retro Studios which replaced Rare. Retro Studios was formed ny people from several of the biggest game devs. They are also working in Texas like Twisted Pixel.

Twisted Pixels had their glory days on 360, so its a different case. It cant be compared to Rare.
RoboShatner
RoboShatner
Posted on 12 October 11 at 17:36
Better Microsoft than EA.
Jaggexedge
Jaggexedge
Posted on 12 October 11 at 17:46
Maybe now that Twisted Pixel has more disposable income they can make a Pling Pling game.
Dimmock
Dimmock
Posted on 12 October 11 at 17:46
@RoboShatner - Stole the words right out of my mouth.
ZUS ROCKS! / Dreamkiller SKX -Veal is a lot like Dimmock, an acquired taste.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.