Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TGN Top Five: Games to Keep You Company This Halloween

• EurydaceEurydace564,952
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 October 16 at 17:39
    Really couldn't give a shit about these tgn videos. Each to their own.
  • Torakiki360Torakiki360258,784
    Posted on 23 October 16 at 17:57
    CalculatdRisque said:
    +1
  • Posted on 23 October 16 at 18:05
    I miss the old style top 5's, with everything written out and a nice screenshot to head off each title in the list. At least there's a link to TrueTrophies so I can enjoy the list over there. wave
  • NawtyCawtyNawtyCawty623,245
    Posted on 23 October 16 at 18:14
    Torakiki360 said:
    CalculatdRisque said:
    +1
    I was just thinking the same thing. They are terrible.
  • Lost LegendsLost Legends1,352,808
    Posted on 23 October 16 at 18:18
    That was more like 8 games not top 5
  • Posted on 23 October 16 at 18:25
    thunderkiss92 said:
    I miss the old style top 5's, with everything written out and a nice screenshot to head off each title in the list. At least there's a link to TrueTrophies so I can enjoy the list over there. wave
    We still do those. This is a YouTube team creation. The written stuff is done by the news team.
  • Posted on 23 October 16 at 18:31
    N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
    thunderkiss92 said:
    We still do those. This is a YouTube team creation. The written stuff is done by the news team.
    Awesome! I thought maybe TGN was taking over in place of the old lists. That's good to know.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 October 16 at 19:00
    If I had to make a top 5 it'd go

1. Top being Costume Quest either 1 or 2
    2. Dead Space 2 (cause you have ellie)
    3. Silent Hill HD (trick or treat box)
    4. Goosebumps (something about halloween reminds me of being a kid and reading those and yeah)
    5. Borderlands (zombie island dlc cause of all the pumpkins and shit)

Honorable mentions

Resident Evil HD
    SAW 2, (saws came out every halloween so yeah)
    Castlevania HoD
    Splatter house (creppy ass mansion and tons of blood and wearing a mask and beating the shit outta monsters)
    The Dishwasher (something about black and white with splatters of 2d blood and pumpkin guys with chainsaws makes me think of halloween)
    50 Shades Of Grey Ain't Got Shit on ME ! ^_^
  • V3RxiV3Rxi3,001
    Posted on 23 October 16 at 19:09
    i do have to say that the evil within even though the game is not that GREAT, it does nail the head in terms of the thriller vibe.
    Posted on 23 October 16 at 19:30, Edited on 23 October 16 at 19:30 by Eurydace
    thunderkiss92 said:
    N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
    thunderkiss92 said:
    Awesome! I thought maybe TGN was taking over in place of the old lists. That's good to know.
    Yup! To be clear, there's only not a list because it's very similar to a Top Five we've already done (and, as I linked in the article, TrueTrophies actually does have a written version!). We know some prefer videos and some prefer written articles. I promise we've got lots of written stuff lined up (and video, if you prefer that) smile

No one will be disappointed, I think!
  • Posted on 23 October 16 at 19:46
    No Ghostbusters or FEAR?

For shame.
    Ask me about my rock collection.
  • Posted on 23 October 16 at 21:02
    NawtyCawty said:
    Torakiki360 said:
    CalculatdRisque said:
    +1
    Sorry to hear that, but if you could elaborate, that would help. All for constructive criticism. We're a young team, we're all for anything that can help us grow (aside from 'get gud' or 'give up'). This video already taught us a couple of things, and we've put a few things on our wishlists that will make future videos better eventually.

One day, we'll be like the site's well oiled editorial/newshound team, and you won't even recognize us,t hough some people will probably still not like us... ahhh well.

toast
  • Darkwings17Darkwings171,396,060
    Posted on 23 October 16 at 22:00
    We shouldn't have to go onto the sister site to see the written form of the list, regardless of it there has been a similar one. TA top five was much better without the video format.
    Posted on 23 October 16 at 22:30
    Again, this was made by a separate team. This is not a replacement for editorial content smile. We had an interview today done by the editorial team.
  • Posted on 23 October 16 at 23:13
    ExtremePhobia said:
    NawtyCawty said:
    Torakiki360 said:
    CalculatdRisque said:
    +1
    Sorry to hear that, but if you could elaborate, that would help. All for constructive criticism. We're a young team, we're all for anything that can help us grow (aside from 'get gud' or 'give up'). This video already taught us a couple of things, and we've put a few things on our wishlists that will make future videos better eventually.

One day, we'll be like the site's well oiled editorial/newshound team, and you won't even recognize us,t hough some people will probably still not like us... ahhh well.

toast
    Here is some constructive criticism. I apologize for doing so in my smart-ass manner, but I can't help it. I attempted to highlight the problems I noticed, and also offer some potential solutions as well.

(1) Monotone presenter. I felt like I drank a bottle of cough syrup after listening to the video and now I need a 14 hour nap to recover. There are videos about hanging drywall that are more exciting then this. I would suggest not reading from a script when making the video, so the emotions and reactions are more organic and relatable.

(2) Purpose. The heading reads 'Five Games to Keep you Company on Halloween'. What the hell is that really supposed to mean? How about a quick explanation before jumping right into the videos? The video went straight in and "raw dogged it" when a little lube (explanation) beforehand was needed.

(3) Video presentation. I think it could have been enhanced with some external graphics, headers, or sounds. The transitions between each game would have been an opportune time to do this. In other words, arrange the content to make people excited about what's coming next. The only thing that got me excited was closing out the video window.
  • Posted on 23 October 16 at 23:29, Edited on 23 October 16 at 23:32 by Our Afflictions
    If you haven't played costume quest, do it.

Also, going by the written list, how the fuck does Gears Of War make number 5 but Outlast is a honorable mention?
  • Posted on 24 October 16 at 02:14
    Good work on the video!
  • Posted on 24 October 16 at 03:25, Edited on 24 October 16 at 03:27 by ExtremePhobia
    A BANNED CRIBB said:
    Here is some constructive criticism. I apologize for doing so in my smart-ass manner, but I can't help it. I attempted to highlight the problems I noticed, and also offer some potential solutions as well.

(1) Monotone presenter. I felt like I drank a bottle of cough syrup after listening to the video and now I need a 14 hour nap to recover. There are videos about hanging drywall that are more exciting then this. I would suggest not reading from a script when making the video, so the emotions and reactions are more organic and relatable.

(2) Purpose. The heading reads 'Five Games to Keep you Company on Halloween'. What the hell is that really supposed to mean? How about a quick explanation before jumping right into the videos? The video went straight in and "raw dogged it" when a little lube (explanation) beforehand was needed.

(3) Video presentation. I think it could have been enhanced with some external graphics, headers, or sounds. The transitions between each game would have been an opportune time to do this. In other words, arrange the content to make people excited about what's coming next. The only thing that got me excited was closing out the video window.
    No apologies needed! You already did me an honest solid just by watching the video!

3) Remember the wish list I mentioned? Already on it =). Unfortunately, Halloween wasn't just going to move so that we could spend the time to make all those things, and get them just right.

2) I 100% agree. We wanted to do this, but if you can believe it, we kind of just ran out of time. Just four days ago, we were discussing the viability of adding Silent Hill. On major sites, videos like these are planned weeks in advance by people who's first job is making that video. The team as a whole has existed for just barely two months.

Note to self: when doing a test VO to get an idea of duration (for video recording), include the intro and outro. You might not get a chance to add it later!

1) I don't disagree. Currently working on that. Part of it was definitely the lacking intro, I think. I mean that literally sets the tone of what the video is. But part of it is definitely a lack of experience, and a lack of comfort. While I was recording this, I was hideously self-conscious of the idea that my upstairs neighbors might have been able to hear me. I mean, what a dweeb! It's a curious feeling for a person who literally spends 8+ hours a day talking!

0) And lots of other things.

But the only way to get better is to put yourself out there. I do really appreciate the feedback. I'm sorry it wasn't as good as you wanted. Obviously we want to come out of the gate and just blow your mind, but as much as we'd like it, it's unrealistic. Right now, we're at the "Greg Kasavin in front of a green screen" phase of getting this channel started... Maybe that's a bad analogy, because I haven't liked a video on GameSpot in years...
  • Posted on 24 October 16 at 03:39
    I think the important thing to remember, above all else, is that this is all volunteer work. Major sites pay people to be content producers as a full time job. I'm sure most people on the team probably have very little time to devote to this, but it's all about trying to help the community.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.