Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TGN Top Five: Games to Keep You Company This Halloween

• Posted on 24 October 16 at 05:50Permalink
    ExtremePhobia said:
    A BANNED CRIBB said:
    Here is some constructive criticism. I apologize for doing so in my smart-ass manner, but I can't help it. I attempted to highlight the problems I noticed, and also offer some potential solutions as well.

(1) Monotone presenter. I felt like I drank a bottle of cough syrup after listening to the video and now I need a 14 hour nap to recover. There are videos about hanging drywall that are more exciting then this. I would suggest not reading from a script when making the video, so the emotions and reactions are more organic and relatable.

(2) Purpose. The heading reads 'Five Games to Keep you Company on Halloween'. What the hell is that really supposed to mean? How about a quick explanation before jumping right into the videos? The video went straight in and "raw dogged it" when a little lube (explanation) beforehand was needed.

(3) Video presentation. I think it could have been enhanced with some external graphics, headers, or sounds. The transitions between each game would have been an opportune time to do this. In other words, arrange the content to make people excited about what's coming next. The only thing that got me excited was closing out the video window.
    No apologies needed! You already did me an honest solid just by watching the video!

3) Remember the wish list I mentioned? Already on it =). Unfortunately, Halloween wasn't just going to move so that we could spend the time to make all those things, and get them just right.

2) I 100% agree. We wanted to do this, but if you can believe it, we kind of just ran out of time. Just four days ago, we were discussing the viability of adding Silent Hill. On major sites, videos like these are planned weeks in advance by people who's first job is making that video. The team as a whole has existed for just barely two months.

Note to self: when doing a test VO to get an idea of duration (for video recording), include the intro and outro. You might not get a chance to add it later!

1) I don't disagree. Currently working on that. Part of it was definitely the lacking intro, I think. I mean that literally sets the tone of what the video is. But part of it is definitely a lack of experience, and a lack of comfort. While I was recording this, I was hideously self-conscious of the idea that my upstairs neighbors might have been able to hear me. I mean, what a dweeb! It's a curious feeling for a person who literally spends 8+ hours a day talking!

0) And lots of other things.

But the only way to get better is to put yourself out there. I do really appreciate the feedback. I'm sorry it wasn't as good as you wanted. Obviously we want to come out of the gate and just blow your mind, but as much as we'd like it, it's unrealistic. Right now, we're at the "Greg Kasavin in front of a green screen" phase of getting this channel started... Maybe that's a bad analogy, because I haven't liked a video on GameSpot in years...
    I am also glad that you recognize that I wasn't bashing the video to be a jackass, but was instead trying to provide honest feedback so the team will get better. I love this site, and any content that could enhance my XBOX hobby I fully support.

It also appears that you recognize the opportunities to improve, so I am certain the videos will only get better from this point forward. I look forward to watching what the team does next.
  • LockieLockie311,188
    Posted on 24 October 16 at 05:53Permalink
    Our Afflictions said:
    If you haven't played costume quest, do it.

Also, going by the written list, how the fuck does Gears Of War make number 5 but Outlast is a honorable mention?
    Don't you know the rules about top 5's on TA? Each list must contain either Gears of War, Halo, Mass Effect, or a combination of them. wink
    Posting from sunny Australia.
  • EurydaceEurydace502,879
    Posted on 24 October 16 at 05:59Permalink
    I haven't put any of those on my top 5s! I did once say that Halo didn't fit though does that count?
  • ArkhamArkham1,457,977
    Posted on 24 October 16 at 06:40Permalink
    I preferred the old format of the top 5s. I just don't care enough to click play on that video.
  • Posted on 24 October 16 at 06:54Permalink
    ArkhmInmate0801 said:
    I preferred the old format of the top 5s. I just don't care enough to click play on that video.
    As has been mentioned a few times in this thread, we still do written Top Fives too. We have one coming up in a few weeks, actually. Editorials fall under my umbrella, so I can promise you written features including written Top Fives are still planned between now and the technological singularity. smile
  • Vr EnglishVr English633,028
    Posted on 24 October 16 at 07:44Permalink
    I appreciate these articles but as I mostly only read them on work lunch break I can't watch videos. Hopefully remember to catch this at home. Thanks for your work!
  • Posted on 24 October 16 at 08:55, Edited on 25 October 16 at 08:55 by Captain Chao5Permalink
    I found this video watchable. okay the voice was a bit monotone and some of the game choices were 'interesting' for Halloween (yes Gears, I'm looking at you). Overall it wasn't that bad.

I've got Evil Within still to play. I started it when it came out and didn't even get as far as the first achievement (so it doesn't show up yet). Man that is not an easy game if you are not used to that genre. I thought Alien Isolation would have made the list.

As people said, this is not a pay-site so I assume these guys are volunteering their time. On that basis, good effort!

For those 'haters'...maybe you could make a video and share?

smile
    You don't stop gaming cos you get old, you get old cos you stop gaming.
  • KexolKexol378,856
    Posted on 24 October 16 at 09:48Permalink
    I appreciate you guys taking the time to work on the video and I know you'll get better with time.
  • Posted on 24 October 16 at 10:31Permalink
    ArkhmInmate0801 said:
    Guess you dont care enough to read either wink
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 24 October 16 at 11:46Permalink
    A BANNED CRIBB said:
    ExtremePhobia said:
    A BANNED CRIBB said:
    Here is some constructive criticism. I apologize for doing so in my smart-ass manner, but I can't help it. I attempted to highlight the problems I noticed, and also offer some potential solutions as well.

(1) Monotone presenter. I felt like I drank a bottle of cough syrup after listening to the video and now I need a 14 hour nap to recover. There are videos about hanging drywall that are more exciting then this. I would suggest not reading from a script when making the video, so the emotions and reactions are more organic and relatable.

(2) Purpose. The heading reads 'Five Games to Keep you Company on Halloween'. What the hell is that really supposed to mean? How about a quick explanation before jumping right into the videos? The video went straight in and "raw dogged it" when a little lube (explanation) beforehand was needed.

(3) Video presentation. I think it could have been enhanced with some external graphics, headers, or sounds. The transitions between each game would have been an opportune time to do this. In other words, arrange the content to make people excited about what's coming next. The only thing that got me excited was closing out the video window.
    No apologies needed! You already did me an honest solid just by watching the video!

3) Remember the wish list I mentioned? Already on it =). Unfortunately, Halloween wasn't just going to move so that we could spend the time to make all those things, and get them just right.

2) I 100% agree. We wanted to do this, but if you can believe it, we kind of just ran out of time. Just four days ago, we were discussing the viability of adding Silent Hill. On major sites, videos like these are planned weeks in advance by people who's first job is making that video. The team as a whole has existed for just barely two months.

Note to self: when doing a test VO to get an idea of duration (for video recording), include the intro and outro. You might not get a chance to add it later!

1) I don't disagree. Currently working on that. Part of it was definitely the lacking intro, I think. I mean that literally sets the tone of what the video is. But part of it is definitely a lack of experience, and a lack of comfort. While I was recording this, I was hideously self-conscious of the idea that my upstairs neighbors might have been able to hear me. I mean, what a dweeb! It's a curious feeling for a person who literally spends 8+ hours a day talking!

0) And lots of other things.

But the only way to get better is to put yourself out there. I do really appreciate the feedback. I'm sorry it wasn't as good as you wanted. Obviously we want to come out of the gate and just blow your mind, but as much as we'd like it, it's unrealistic. Right now, we're at the "Greg Kasavin in front of a green screen" phase of getting this channel started... Maybe that's a bad analogy, because I haven't liked a video on GameSpot in years...
    I am also glad that you recognize that I wasn't bashing the video to be a jackass, but was instead trying to provide honest feedback so the team will get better. I love this site, and any content that could enhance my XBOX hobby I fully support.

It also appears that you recognize the opportunities to improve, so I am certain the videos will only get better from this point forward. I look forward to watching what the team does next.
    At least you gave them constructive criticism, everyone else is just being twats for the sake of it...
  • Posted on 24 October 16 at 11:59Permalink
    1. Dead Space (not 2 and 3)
    2. Slender: The Arrival
    3. Silent Hill series
    4. Thief Deadly Shadows: Robbing the Cradle (this single level is worth the whole game)
    5. Alien: Isolation

These are my recommendations. If you just enjoy watching trailers:
    1. Alison Road
    2. P.T.
  • BattleWolfLVBattleWolfLV370,793
    Posted on 24 October 16 at 12:12Permalink
    ImaginaryRuins said:
    Thief Deadly Shadows: Robbing the Cradle
    I shit bricks during that level. shock
    Gamer since 1992: Elektronika BK-0010 -> NES -> SEGA Mega Drive 2 -> PC -> XBOX360 / X-ONE
  • Posted on 24 October 16 at 13:30Permalink
    TheGreatKoala said:
    At least you gave them constructive criticism, everyone else is just being twats for the sake of it...
    Nah, they were just voicing their displeasure. They could have been more informative, but not doing so doesn't necessarily mean they were being mean. As simple as their posts were, they were effectively saying "more that, less of this," which is constructive in its own way. The worse thing said was that the video was terrible, and compared to what I hope we manage to do in the future, it's probably not entirely inaccurate wink

We're all here for the same thing: Fun content, good games, and awesome fellow gamers to help us get those damn Seriously... achievements smile
  • Posted on 24 October 16 at 16:12Permalink
    I always take the time to read the top 5 at work since I don't have a pc at home and being on youtube isn't something I can do here.

Guess I'll head over to the sister site to read it.
  • EurydaceEurydace502,879
    Posted on 24 October 16 at 16:17Permalink
    MuppeT May Cry said:
    I always take the time to read the top 5 at work since I don't have a pc at home and being on youtube isn't something I can do here.

Guess I'll head over to the sister site to read it.
    For the record, we normally would write it (and obviously it was written on TT). We just didn't publish that here because it was so similar (basically the same games in a different order) to the one we did last year. Don't think this will be a regular occurrence. We know people enjoy the written content on this site and it won't be pushed aside in favor of videos! smile
  • MtldMtld1,352,458
    Posted on 24 October 16 at 17:02Permalink
    I liked the video, and I did not find the presenter monotonous. However, the video s clearly lacking an introduction. Going right into the first game without any mention of the intend of the video, of the list, etc. was a mistake. Keep up the good work though!
  • Posted on 24 October 16 at 19:19Permalink
    Horror games have gotten better than horror movies as a way to pass the time during the Halloween season imo. Some real garbage out of Hollywood lately, they just need to stop. Instead of looking for some crap movie to settle into I've decided to play a different scary game every night until Halloween. smile
  • Posted on 24 October 16 at 20:51Permalink
    Especially being that I'm at work, I'd rather have been able to read an article instead of having to watch a video.
  • Posted on 24 October 16 at 21:01Permalink
    BudgetBallin360 said:
    Especially being that I'm at work, I'd rather have been able to read an article instead of having to watch a video.
    One was linked for you.
  • SchinderdivSchinderdiv468,306
    Posted on 25 October 16 at 08:04Permalink
    ImaginaryRuins said:
    5. Alien: Isolation
    This tops my list! I'm a pretty big fan of the whole Alien franchise, and have been most of my 34 years of life, but couldn't even make it through this game. It was WAY too tense for me, by far the most paranoid atmosphere I've ever experienced in a video game. Being hunted by the alien is bad enough, but those androids... Nightmares for life!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.