Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TGN Top Five: Games to Keep You Company This Halloween

• Redd FiveRedd Five878,213
    Posted on 25 October 16 at 10:39
    Please bring back the written articles. I don't watch the vids.
  • Posted on 25 October 16 at 11:53
    Redd Five said:
    An old fashioned acronym is coming to mind right now, considering how many times we've said this...

RTFA

<3
  • Posted on 25 October 16 at 14:13
    I dont read good so please write about when and where there are two written versions so I can write about not reading them too dive
    =Semper Fi=
  • Facial La FleurFacial La Fleur1,236,641
    Posted on 25 October 16 at 14:44
    I prefer a written format so that I can read the articles while doing other things. I appreciate the creativity and effort it takes to make the videos, but I generally browse TA when I'm multitasking and videos don't get watched. Pity.
  • DelithDelith330,714
    Posted on 25 October 16 at 15:03
    I like watching these videos. I did think the voice was a little monotone and felt it was just reading from a script but even if it stays like that, I'll still watch these as I find the short, succinct, and entertaining.

Good call on Costume Quest. I loved that game and it's sequel. You summed up the feel of those games perfectly.
    Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.
  • Tanelorn82Tanelorn82445,562
    Posted on 25 October 16 at 17:14
    I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I have to point out the monotony of the presentation is, for me, the major problem with this video. It really lacks emotions. Is it due to the narrator reading a text, or something else, I don't know, but it needs to be improved.

Don't give up yet ! toast
    Welcome to TA, where stats are made up and some achievements do not matter.
  • KenH2k4KenH2k4576,640
    Posted on 25 October 16 at 17:32
    Firstly, I know the videos aren't a replacement of anything. I just wanted to offer a suggestion that videos get created to compliment written articles like this in the future. I like to read articles, but I also like to watch clips from games I haven't played to scope them out. I know the whole youtube team is brand new, but it'd be cool in the future to see video added to top 5s and the like on the site
  • EurydaceEurydace564,941
    Posted on 25 October 16 at 17:38
    Thank you for the feedback and thank you for the patience to let us grow. It's ok to beat a dead horse if it needs to be beaten.
  • Redd FiveRedd Five878,213
    Posted on 26 October 16 at 18:20, Edited on 26 October 16 at 18:22 by Redd Five
    ExtremePhobia said:
    Redd Five said:
    An old fashioned acronym is coming to mind right now, considering how many times we've said this...

RTFA

<3
    Sorry, but I wanted to add my support for the idea.
    I guess I should have done the thrilling "Copy Post and Add '+1.'"

Besides, I can read just fine, but I'm not interested in going over to TT.
  • RacxieRacxie433,638
    Posted on 26 October 16 at 20:37
    Personally I can't say I agreed with some of the titles chosen in the list, but each to their own.

As for the quality of the video itself: the first thing I remembered when seeing that it was by the TGN team was that they're new (I remember the "competition" to get picked - something I actually thought about entering) and previous experience wasn't necessarily required so I don't think it's fair for people to be hard on them.

Although saying that I think it might have been better if this had been mentioned in the article reminding people that this is still their early work and therefore might be somewhat "lacking" in certain areas, or however you might want to word it; pre-warn people not to expect pro-quality from the get-go, encouraging more people to give the TGN team a fairer chance.

As for feedback on improvement, I think A BANNED CRIBB summed most of it up pretty well. And although it might sound obvious, the advice I would give is for the team to spend more time watching/researching existing/established presenters/channels on places like YouTube and take some notes down. Maybe watch some "how to" videos and possibly even contact some of those people and ask for some tips! smile
  • RacxieRacxie433,638
    Posted on 26 October 16 at 20:41
    Redd Five said:
    ExtremePhobia said:
    Redd Five said:

RTFA

<3
    Sorry, but I wanted to add my support for the idea.
    I guess I should have done the thrilling "Copy Post and Add '+1.'"

Besides, I can read just fine, but I'm not interested in going over to TT.
    Even if you can read just fine, it would seem you don't want to because some of the TA staff members have explained quite a few times now the reason why there was no written article over here on TA.

And even then what's the issue with TT? It's run/owned by the same people as TA and it's not as if the list has any PS exclusive games which don't apply to an Xbox gamer (on the contrary the list has Xbox exclusive titles which is a bit odd).
  • Posted on 27 October 16 at 01:45
    Eurydace said:
    Thank you for the feedback and thank you for the patience to let us grow. It's ok to beat a dead horse if it needs to be beaten.
    Hey, hey! I'm the dead horse! Speak for yourself!

I'm kidding. It's obviously higher on the list of things to work on if the dead horse gets beaten enough hehe.

I'm sure we've all senn/researched/are informed by larger, more experienced channels. It's just always harder to emulate (or emulate well, at least) the things that they do right.

I do have to say that I'm pleased that it wasn't so much what I said, as how I said it. Well, and of course people not agreeing with the list. That's another matter smile
  • RacxieRacxie433,638
    Posted on 27 October 16 at 16:40
    ExtremePhobia said:
    I'm sure we've all senn/researched/are informed by larger, more experienced channels. It's just always harder to emulate (or emulate well, at least) the things that they do right.
    You're still new to all of this, just give it time :)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.