Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Evolve Support Ended, No Longer Going Free to Play

AuthorMessage
Dark Death 90
Dark Death 90
Posted on 26 October 16 at 10:13
TheGreatKoala said:
Dark Death 90 said:
Such a shame. Paid full price at launch and do not regret it. Had some great times with my friends in it.
The game can still be played...
Never said it couldn't be.
#1 Resident Evil Fan.
JCDRANZER
JCDRANZER
Posted on 26 October 16 at 10:47
I'm going to buy it and decide for myself, I'll probably still try and complete it achievement-wise.
Vaserax
Vaserax
Posted on 26 October 16 at 10:59
Well, OK then. Nice try lads, but it's time to approach Valve about Left 4 Dead 3!

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 26 October 16 at 11:24
Dad Is A Zombie said:
Well, OK then. Nice try lads, but it's time to approach Valve about Left 4 Dead 3!
I wish laugh
I'm always willing to help other players boost achievements even if I already have them. Just ask!

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 26 October 16 at 11:27
Left 4 Dead 3 confirmed
Lord Midas
Lord Midas
Posted on 26 October 16 at 12:02
Never played it, though it did look nice.
Perhaps Valve will now realise that people actually want Left 4 Dead 3.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 26 October 16 at 12:11
V3Rxi said:
they 100% deserved this.
after releasing so MANY skins without any free content.
They did have some free skins related to community challenges. Most characters have 1, some have up to 4 (from what I could see going for an achievement a couple weeks back).
PainfulLegacy
PainfulLegacy
Posted on 26 October 16 at 12:40
This game was boring as all hell. It isn't' surprising at all that it failed.
ThreeHaddock62
Posted on 26 October 16 at 12:46
It's fun....if you can find a game. The last few times I tried to play for shits and giggles- I sat in a lobby with 1-2 other people. If you have a group, I'm sure it's worth it, but solo it sucks.
Rista B
Rista B
Posted on 26 October 16 at 12:51
Let's hope this is another nail in the coffin on this kind of business model in the AAA game space.
Remember Philando Castile, a fellow gamer, a human being, Rest in Peace
Brutal Hamsters
Posted on 26 October 16 at 13:29
Dlc was horiible.
But i really enjoyed the game
Emivader
Emivader
Posted on 26 October 16 at 13:45
anyone surprised?
spankyNspronkle
Posted on 26 October 16 at 14:07
Should have either been F2P with micro-transactions or $60 for everything from day one.

Which months GwG do we think? My money is that we'll see it in December laugh
ELECTR0 BLITZ
ELECTR0 BLITZ
Posted on 26 October 16 at 14:38
It had great potential, im sad to see it being left behind like this. cry
All i hope is that they learned from there DLC focused gameplay, and wont ever do such a thing ever again.

RIP Evolve, you were a great but failed concept.
WEBHEAD 7
WEBHEAD 7
Posted on 26 October 16 at 14:47
This is really too bad. I enjoyed this game a lot, but haven't gone back to it in quite a while since putting it down. I was looking forward to some new life hopefully being breathed into it by going free to play... gotta get around to joining some sessions for this soon.
PhilTheStampede
Posted on 26 October 16 at 15:03
Good. I hope it dies as an example for every company that plans their games this way. Sure, the developers did their best and made a decent core game that was fun. But, to treat it as a platform for an extremely long DLC release with the sole purpose of making bank is just rude.

The only game with that marketing structure that is still going is Destiny. I hope that dies soon too so we can (maybe) get back to having full games that maybe get DLC that's unrelated. I mean, shit, I was much more satisfied after playing Quantum Break for 6 hours than I was after playing Destiny for 100.
spankyNspronkle
Posted on 26 October 16 at 15:50
PhilTheStampede said:
The only game with that marketing structure that is still going is Destiny.
Would be curious to see if they have been losing players with each release though... $30-$40 each DLC release has been tough since the content is no where near worth the price they are charging.
Archer Spense
Archer Spense
Posted on 26 October 16 at 16:00
there's a difference between a game selling well because its good versus saying a game is going to sell well because you keep telling yourself its good

and then busting a nut all over development when its selling like crap and slashed to $10 brand new during the holidays.

WTF were they thinking
BigWiIIieStyIe
Posted on 26 October 16 at 16:28
Elite1111111111 said:
Yeah, certainly not a bad game, but I definitely just had a point where I left and there wasn't a thought in my mind about going back. You gotta either play monster or have some people to roll with to actually have fun. Had 2 groups of people I would cycle with. It could definitely get boring fast unless you really liked the gameplay. Good thing about no free to play to worry about right now is no need to worry about it borking achievements, as they did on PC.

I think a lot of things they did in the beginning really left a bad taste in peoples mouth. A pre-order bonus that equated to $15 for one character if you didn't get it. A crapton of on-release cosmetic DLC even though there's barely any customization in game. I personally thought the (initial) cost of the extra characters was a bit high for a $60 game, bought a complete edition on sale for $15 last year.

People were so vocal about everything it scares any chance of newcomers off. But you had to really like to to find it worth $60.
This exactly. I liked the game but not having a crew made it tough if you didn't know how to do the monster. They did make it up to us by giving what they promised but it was probably a little too late.

Guess I'll have to make sure I knock out any Online only achievements just in case they take down the servers in a few years or few months (even though they said they have no plans to).
matdan
matdan
Posted on 26 October 16 at 17:22
spankyNspronkle said:
PhilTheStampede said:
The only game with that marketing structure that is still going is Destiny.
Would be curious to see if they have been losing players with each release though... $30-$40 each DLC release has been tough since the content is no where near worth the price they are charging.
I will say the Dreadnought was nowhere near as populated as the base game world maps, I am guessing the flak Rise of Iron has gained will make it even less played.

Look at Titanfall the population almost completely died out especially on DLC maps, when they put it all out as free the game regained a population.

DLC that locks out people from enjoying the full experience is never a good idea. Evolve learned that the hard way, no-one wants to pay for the color blue for a generic Left 4 Dead wannabe game (Yes very different gameplay, but the whole game banked on Left 4 Dead's success).

It seems these companies don't learn look at Total War: Warhammer charging for you Blood & Gore a basic feature of any game, Deus Mankind Divided rip-off MST that are one use items for a game that doesn't need them and so on goes the list. It sucks that games have devolved so far that this has become so common.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.