Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

The Gaming Dead: Searching for the Perfect Zombie Game

• rocking23nfrocking23nf649,738
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 15:49
    i think dead rising 3 is the best zombie game around.
  • iViluxiVilux536,577
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 16:24
    I can't wait for State of Decay 2...
  • billbillbillbillbillbill1,285,886
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 17:04
    Personally, as far as 'apocalyptic zombie-mutant-horde' games go, I'd stick with 'Sunset Overdrive'. The thing's one of the straight-up funnest games I've played and the art style and irreverent narrative are terrific.

The problem with zombie/zombie-esque media at the moment is it's become a massively saturated genre, so it's difficult to find any that are exceptional. You're just stuck with a gory blend of greys and browns covered in doom-talk...
    'Guess what, Player A?'
    'What do you want, 6-Foot Military Authority/Bordering-on-Racist Gang Boss/Steve Buscemi?'
    'Man's the real monster!'
    'Urh-nurh!!1! Then I must kill you for personal reasons, but still think on it pensively later.'

Better off with the phun than the morbid. : )
  • Posted on 29 October 16 at 17:20
    I agree sunset overdrive is my favourite game on the one. You get overwhelmed by hoards and the story is great but it's also incredibly wacky, colourful and unique. I think if a game takes itself too seriously it can be hard to get into. This is what I found with state of decay.
  • Nexus GruntNexus Grunt163,766
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 17:25
    I think State of Decay captured the feeling of "The Walking Dead" best of all. I'd like to see more of a big city included though but for the rest, a damn fine game.
  • EffordEfford803,841
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 18:03
    I love the dead rising games. But I would like if they were a
    Little more serious/realistic
  • Torakiki360Torakiki360278,469
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 18:11
    Agreed, State of decay is my favourite zombie game. It's a unique title, a game on which most of the triple-A devs wouldn't have the guts to gamble. Perma-death isn't mainstream, but it worked. It's flawed and a damn good game none the less.
  • HWNDarksideHWNDarkside958,279
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 18:28
    Try Zombi. Flawed but definitely bleak.
    www.hardcorewillneverdie.com
  • MattQuin89MattQuin89683,023
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 18:33
    If I'm honest... I wasn't a fan of State of Decay. Was fun for the first hour but then became repetitive to me.

I personally loved dying light. It had a huge horror impact for me, noticing it was getting dark and realising you are far from home was a gut wrenching moment from start to finish.
  • Large CoffeeLarge Coffee423,646
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 18:41
    Great article as always, Mark toast
    http://i.imgur.com/hhiPvya.gif
  • N3OANG3LN3OANG3L462,294
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 19:10
    What is with Lollipop Chainsaw.
    the best is yet to come
  • Posted on 29 October 16 at 19:15
    HWNDarkside said:
    Try Zombi. Flawed but definitely bleak.
    I reviewed it for TA and didn't like it too much. Thanks for the suggestion though. I never mentioned that one in the story.
  • ziplobthudziplobthud371,779
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 19:20
    I have passed this on to my friends at Undead Labs, Im sure Sanya, Geoffrey and the crew will love it. Poor old Brant, he just cant get a break from his voice acting in State of Decay. Luckily for us, there will be real proffesional voice actors in SoD 2.
    Follow on Twitter, Twitch and Facebook all @ziplobthud
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 29 October 16 at 19:36
    Bought SoD during the current sale. Can't wait to play it
    t-t-t-today junior
  • Posted on 29 October 16 at 19:43
    ziplobthud said:
    I have passed this on to my friends at Undead Labs, Im sure Sanya, Geoffrey and the crew will love it. Poor old Brant, he just cant get a break from his voice acting in State of Decay. Luckily for us, there will be real proffesional voice actors in SoD 2.
    I met Sanya at PAX East 2013. She and the team were really nice. That event was just a few days or weeks before the game released and blew up. I was really happy for them. SOD2 looks even better.
  • Necromorph11Necromorph111,237,866
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 19:46, Edited on 29 October 16 at 19:48 by Necromorph11
    zombi army trilogy. you're not looking at an outstanding and emotional story but the gameplay is incredibly fun(so it is blasting zombie heads with sniper rifles) and the game itself has that 80's horror/zombie B movie vibe all over,from the way it looks and sounds to the black humor and references
  • scotwolf2scotwolf22,010,923
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 20:02, Edited on 29 October 16 at 22:54 by scotwolf2
    i love a good zombie butt kicking game and have played most of them. and enjoy just kicking back and killing zombies with various lethal weapons and combinations of. a great way to relax.

L4D 1+2 brilliant with friends and can't wait for 3

dying light i thought was excellent fun

dead island and riptide i thoroughly enjoyed and had great fun in SP and MP with friends. i know many hate these games

telltale walking dead series again brilliant but more so for the great characters and story

bring on the apocalypserock

EDIT.....P.S
    Zombie Army Trilogy....another great zombie killing zombie game, does as they say exactly as on the tin.....brilliant fun with TA friends
  • tychologytychology76,829
    Posted on 29 October 16 at 20:48
    Have the same feeling as you. Nothing we've got so far has quite been what I desire.

Looking forward to SOD2 but scared it will be plagued with some of the issues found in the original. Gave up on playing it through again as my game won't load despite trying everything.
  • Posted on 29 October 16 at 21:05
    COD Zombies (Treyarch) is the best zombie experience you can get in my opinion.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads