Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Games That Failed to Launch a Series

AuthorMessage
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 12 November 16 at 11:31
They started with the best intentions

Please click here to read the story: TA Top Five: Games That Failed to Launch a Series
Tuschi
Tuschi
Posted on 12 November 16 at 11:38
Aww. Amalur is a shame. It's a very fun game. I would have liked to see more there.
LifeExpectancy
LifeExpectancy
Posted on 12 November 16 at 11:41
Yeah....Defiance is quite possible one of the worst 5 games ever made. Not only did it "not launch" a series, it killed it before it ever really began.

It might have been something had it released on stronger hardware, but Destiny showed that an MMO-lite works better for the FPS crowd than anything resembling Defiance.
Testave
Testave
Posted on 12 November 16 at 11:57
Thank god too human was awful.
Lumberjay85
Lumberjay85
Posted on 12 November 16 at 12:03, Edited on 12 November 16 at 12:04 by Lumberjay85
Nice list. The Xbox game that never launched a series (but i wish it had) is Kung Fu Chaos. Easily one of the best party games ever made. There is so much they could have done with a sequel, and supposedly at one point there was one in development, but it just didn't sell well enough.
Galren
Galren
Posted on 12 November 16 at 12:16
I really enjoyed Too Human, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Advent Rising. I wish all of them had received sequels.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 12 November 16 at 12:19
Lots of bad games that got bad sequels too ! Looking at you Force unleashed !
Too many Irons in the fire !
SilvrgunSuprman
Posted on 12 November 16 at 12:20, Edited on 12 November 16 at 12:27 by SilvrgunSuprman
This is a bit confusing. Are these supposed to be GOOD games that failed to launch a series?

If that's the case IMO I would go with

1 vs 100
Dragon's Dogma
50 Cent:Blood on the Sand
Gotham City Imposters

EDIT: Oh I see now, It was about pre-release HYPE! I haven't heard of half the games on the list TBH though. I didn't get into gaming until after college in 2009 so I missed out on a few I guess.
sarahoi
sarahoi
Posted on 12 November 16 at 12:31
Still love Kingdoms of Amalur, such a great game.
ianroper1
ianroper1
Posted on 12 November 16 at 12:46
very much enjoyed kingdoms of amalur and would have loved to have seen another made.
ian
DeviSlator
DeviSlator
Posted on 12 November 16 at 13:05
Too Human is great. The camera angle sometimes isn't the best but it's a solid game and I've put well over 100 hours in to it. I played it in 2010 so never saw the hype prior to release
The Silvatung
The Silvatung
Posted on 12 November 16 at 13:12
Amalur was a really good game. If they focused on the single-player game from the start, they could have had a good run.
billbillbill
billbillbill
Posted on 12 November 16 at 13:18
Just have to point out: DmC: Devil May Cry was really well received by everyone except a reactionary, retrogressive fandom. It's 'commercial failure' has been attributed to Capcom's marketing, where the game was poorly released and wasn't adequately promoted in either the East or West.

The problems mentioned, with the lore and the characterisation of Dante, have always been things that irked me... because they were the best things to get rid of. Like... a 'white haired badass'...? He was established as indestructible, wore red-leather chaps, rode a motorbike and referred to everyone as 'babe'. : / As a game of the early '00s you think, Yeah, fair enough. It was a different time.' But to transpose that NOW...? : /
If you play the earlier games they're technically brilliant (except 2...), but they're bloated and cheesy beyond all measure, their stories becoming increasingly convoluted and melodramatic. Oddly enough, they're very similar to Capcom's other staple series Resident Evil, in that regard... As different as 7 may look, it's still a sequel to 6...

The reasons listed aren't why it tanked... They're the grousing of a rabid fandom desperate for the past that never gave it a chance...
*Sigh...* Pity DmC never sold well enough and Ninja Theory moved on... : (
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 12 November 16 at 13:36
SilvrgunSuprman said:
This is a bit confusing. Are these supposed to be GOOD games that failed to launch a series?

If that's the case IMO I would go with

1 vs 100
Dragon's Dogma
50 Cent:Blood on the Sand
Gotham City Imposters

EDIT: Oh I see now, It was about pre-release HYPE! I haven't heard of half the games on the list TBH though. I didn't get into gaming until after college in 2009 so I missed out on a few I guess.
50 Cent: BotS is the second game in the series. Bulletproof was the original, and IMO, better game.

KoA is a game I always mean to buy but my backlog is big enough and it has been on sale so many times that surely it be GwG.
Still waiting for sigs to stop deleting.
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 12 November 16 at 13:43
No, Defiance was an awful game. It was fun for a few hours maybe, if I'm being generous. Too Human was a shitshow, watching Dyack lose that lawsuit after accusing Epic of fucking him over was fucking fantastic.

I AM sad Amalur didn't get a sequel though.
"Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
BRAINZ8R
BRAINZ8R
Posted on 12 November 16 at 14:34
Maybe Enslaved can get a sequel someday...
"There is no order, do what thou wilt and let the galaxy burn!" - Abaddon the Despoiler
JMJimmy
JMJimmy
Posted on 12 November 16 at 14:36
This is a very strange list and I couldn't disagree with it more.

#1 - Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
While it had it's flaws and was artificially lengthened by the absurd number of collectibles, it had a solid story, excellent production, and was quite fun to play

#2 - RAGE
Surprisingly good gameplay, a planned sequel that was ultimately canned for reasons.

#3 - Shadow Complex
Hugely popular, amazing reviews, but the sequel just never materialized. While the dev claims "it's been designed" they seem preoccupied with any and every other project.

#4 - The Saboteur
A cult favourite, development on The Saboteur 2 was cancelled when EA shuttered the development studio despite work starting on it in 2009.

#5 - Alan Wake
While it did spawn an arcade game, Alan Wake 2 rumors were squashed by the developers back in June favouring 2 new games instead of continuing their amazing success with Alan.
Life, it's funny that way.
Dimmock
Dimmock
Posted on 12 November 16 at 14:39
I really liked too human, it had its faults but I liked it for what it was.

I enjoyed brute force as well after buying it on release but once kotr hit I don't think I played it again.
WhyattThrash
WhyattThrash
Posted on 12 November 16 at 14:47, Edited on 12 November 16 at 14:52 by WhyattThrash
JMJimmy said:
#2 - RAGE
Surprisingly good gameplay, a planned sequel that was ultimately canned for reasons.

#3 - Shadow Complex
Hugely popular, amazing reviews, but the sequel just never materialized. While the dev claims "it's been designed" they seem preoccupied with any and every other project.
Here here, I'd like to add Castle Crashers and Mark of the Ninja to that list. Two of the best titles on the 360, and not a word on any sequels.

And also an honorary mention to Darksiders. Although it did get a sequel, it was planned to go on for another 2 games which didn't happen
WestsideSxE
WestsideSxE
Posted on 12 November 16 at 14:50
Fished Brute Force out of the basement 4 years ago to give it another spin on 360, see if it's any better - still floating around the room, yet to pop in...

.... maybe tomorrow.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.