Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Games That Failed to Launch a Series

AuthorMessage
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 13 November 16 at 03:40
Orodeth Prime said:
2007/Blue Dragon
=> forgotten nippon headliner... what happened to BD?
It got a sequel on DS.
juliankennedy23
Posted on 13 November 16 at 06:19
My best pick for the list would be Alpha Protocol. I still haven't played a game where your decisions mattering was handled so well.

As for the list itself, Too Human was truly awful and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was really quite good.
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 13 November 16 at 06:44
Too Human was a good game that had a lot of potential and if it did manage to create a trilogy as originally planned I think they would be have excellent games.
Rege
Rege
Posted on 13 November 16 at 08:41
Another game with a lot of potential was Hydrophobia, unfortunately was cancelled after Dark Energy Digital was closed down.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 13 November 16 at 09:52
Eurydace said:
Orodeth Prime said:
2007/Blue Dragon
=> forgotten nippon headliner... what happened to BD?
It got a sequel on DS.
And an anime. A terrible, terrible anime. It got a franchise so it's hard to say it didn't get a sequel.

Rege said:
Another game with a lot of potential was Hydrophobia, unfortunately was cancelled after Dark Energy Digital was closed down.
DE was closed down because of how horribly Hydrophobia did. They also spent their time complaining about critics daring to insult their masterpiece before fixing said masterpiece which did them no favors PR wise. Not hard to see how that failed. That said you do a good point bringing it up. It deserves a place on a list like this at some point since it was meant to start a trilogy.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
StanleyCup CAPS
Posted on 13 November 16 at 10:44
KOA: Reckoning was one of my favorite games on the 360, what a shame there will never be another.
WhyattThrash
WhyattThrash
Posted on 13 November 16 at 11:28
Rege said:
Hydrophobia was horrid. The water effects were pretty but the controls and gameplay were terrible.
Julz D 01
Julz D 01
Posted on 13 November 16 at 11:30, Edited on 13 November 16 at 11:31 by Julz D 01
One thing I don't understand it was not mentioned about defiance is why It really failed. It failed because it was one of the buggiest messes ever released. Most people don't want to have to delete the entire game off their hard drive and then reinstall it every time there is an update. As a matter of fact, this pissed me off so bad that I actually quit watching the show during season two. This had to be a bad game for me to make it so that I dislike the show, because I did like the show.
Schinderdiv
Schinderdiv
Posted on 13 November 16 at 11:31
I liked Battleborn quite a bit, but it wasn't what I wanted. I would love to go back & play it more sometime, but there are so many games to play. Sigh... It's sad I don't even get to play the games I own.
FailedSeppuku
FailedSeppuku
Posted on 13 November 16 at 12:20
People mentioning one off games that were never meant to 'Launch a Series'. I think you missed the point.
Daelus1
Daelus1
Posted on 13 November 16 at 14:43
KoA is solidly in my 10 favorite games all-time.
Q8J3 Austin
Q8J3 Austin
Posted on 13 November 16 at 15:30
I used to have Brute Force back in the day. It's kinda fun, but it's certainly no masterpiece. One game that I would LOVE either a sequel to or a remaster of (though I don't think many would) is an old Xbox game called Azurik: Rise of Perathia. When it came out in 2001, neither sales nor reception were very good, but I would personally put it in my Top 10 Original Xbox games.
AngelTiddles
AngelTiddles
Posted on 13 November 16 at 21:02
Lyzyrd said:
Mike Marcelais said:
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die should be on the list. It billed itself as the start of a series and even ended with a 'to be continued' but nothing else ever materialized.
I may be wrong, but I think this was put on the back burner and ultimately cancelled due to Swery65's health. The game was a lot of fun, even more so using the Kinect, and it's a shame we'll never get to finish the wacky tale.
He took a break due to illness (recovering from reactive hypoglycemia), he then quit the company on the 31st Oct this year to pursue a writing career :)

Shame, as he was a fun guy, always made me laugh with some of his Twitter posts :)
EX nightstalk3r
Posted on 13 November 16 at 21:50
Kingdoms of amalur is really great game its a shame that it never got sequel. Just finished it again this year and got my missing achievements its one of my favorite games on 360.
I enjoyed battleborn and did pre-order it but after few weeks couldnt find games anymore and never got back to the game. Well actually have tried few times but ended up quitting it after 10-20 minutes of not finding match and was frustrated and because of the early hype I bought season pass and it doesnt even add achievements im a bit mad.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 13 November 16 at 23:12
It adds achievements...
matdan
matdan
Posted on 13 November 16 at 23:50
MoH Warfighter is the one that comes to mind, meant to be a filler series for Battlefield and was massively over-hyped. What a flat release it had, not only failed but destroyed the chances of a bi-yearly MoH series. Also a few SEALs got in hot water for nothing.

Assault Horizon is another reboot that failed to launch a series, hoping to change the way Ace Combat was played. Much in the same way as DMC it was not received well for it's huge deviations from the series and continued on to the bargain bin not too long after launch.

Others:
Bulletstorm - Not a bad game just never saw any sequels despite the obvious sequel bait ending.
LA Noire - Poor management is just as deadly as a bad game is to creating a new series.
Ryse Son of Rome - Crytek desperate for some good PR bundled this game out the door, only to further their debts and destroy any chance of it becoming a hit series to cash-in on.
Sleeping Dogs - With the devs now bust chances of seeing a sequel are slim at best.
Russell LeCroy
Posted on 13 November 16 at 23:51
A moment of silence for KoA:R
One of the best 360 games I've ever played.

Playing BattleBorn it seems pretty clear to me that it was never meant to truly have a sequel. The story pretty much block out the possibility. It's an awesome game though. :)

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 14 November 16 at 00:51
WhyattThrash said:
Hydrophobia was horrid.
HEY!

Oh, nevermind.
Hydro Thunder Hurricane
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 14 November 16 at 01:30
We all know it would have been better with speedboats.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
JMJimmy
JMJimmy
Posted on 14 November 16 at 03:21
matdan said:
Others:
Bulletstorm - Not a bad game just never saw any sequels despite the obvious sequel bait ending.
There was a sequel in the works in 2012 under Epic Games - it was cancelled but then People Can Fly separated from Epic and retained the rights to Bulletstorm. According to Cliff Wozniak they've restarted work on Bulletstorm 2 - which by their current job postings, the fact that they've talked about working on an Unreal Engine 4 game, and that Bulletstorm is prominently featured on their website (instead of their latest game, Infinity Blade 3) all seems to support Cliff's assertion.
Life, it's funny that way.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.