Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Games That Failed to Launch a Series

AuthorMessage
Stevo6483
Stevo6483
Posted on 14 November 16 at 14:36
As I was reading through this list I kept thinking Too Human has to be here somewhere, and what do you know - there it is, rightly so at the top spot laugh

The hype around this game was something else, and if only they released a half decent game I believe we would have gotten a pretty good series. IMO the story was ok and the graphics were brilliant in parts (mostly cust scenes or back in the Aesir hub-world). But in other parts the graphics were cack, and the gameplay became incredibly repetitive, stale and frustrating after the first stage (and lets not forget that far-to-often, overly-long, unskipable death animation), and the only reason to bother replaying it was for a mind-numbing grind that offered no real reward.

I like to think the company ended up stuck in a limbo-like state with those f**king Valkyries coming down and picking them up every 5 seconds.
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
Angus PT
Angus PT
Posted on 14 November 16 at 14:45
Amalur also had another nail in its coffin, it came out pretty close to Skyrim, similar to Battleborn and Overwatch.

While they did had people from Oblivion in their developing team (or so I read somewhere before) its a worlds difference between Kingdoms of Amalur and Skyrim.

Funny enough, I later played Amalur and found it very good.
Shame they couldn't make it.

As for Too Human, I did play it, but it had too many issues...
Too easy to die and unskippable death cut scenes are the two issues I remember from the top of my mind.
No signature for me, just being down right, old, plain, silly
Wiznyatt
Wiznyatt
Posted on 14 November 16 at 17:27
SilvrgunSuprman said:
This is a bit confusing. Are these supposed to be GOOD games that failed to launch a series?

If that's the case IMO I would go with

1 vs 100
Dragon's Dogma
50 Cent:Blood on the Sand
Gotham City Imposters

EDIT: Oh I see now, It was about pre-release HYPE! I haven't heard of half the games on the list TBH though. I didn't get into gaming until after college in 2009 so I missed out on a few I guess.
1 vs 100 - I'm so mad I never got all of the achievements. I thought that game was fun as hell...I wish they'd try another gameshow type title that lets everyone play it. Really neat concept.
DrSchlepenstein
Posted on 15 November 16 at 01:22
ypod said:
I could see Brink on this list too.
That was an absolute shit game. The story made no real sense, the AI if it was on your team were retarded, if it was the enemy team they were down right master assassins, and the repetiveness of every level was beyond boring.

If it wasn't for the fact that a friend bought me the game to play with him, I would have never played (and completed) it. But if you want a game just like it, its Battleborn. As everything about Battleborn is just a pretty version of Brink.
I8ITackyticsI8I
Posted on 15 November 16 at 13:42, Edited on 15 November 16 at 13:50 by I8ITackyticsI8I
1 vs 100

Agree with Too Human, but LA Noire should have been Number 1. Not even mentioned..

WhyattThrash said:
Rege said:
Another game with a lot of potential was Hydrophobia, unfortunately was cancelled after Dark Energy Digital was closed down.
Hydrophobia was horrid. The water effects were pretty but the controls and gameplay were terrible.
Agreed. Completely unfinished game on the 360 which they then decided to finish but not release on the 360! Wasn't even a good story to begin with!
Grimace221
Grimace221
Posted on 15 November 16 at 13:49
I loved Amalur, it was a very good game. Would have loved to see sequels to this game, knew they closed up shop, but always hoped someone would buy the franchise. However, with a back story like that, I don't think anyone will pony up the cash to do so ever.

Still, it should be on the list of games to play for any RPG fan.
Grimace221
Grimace221
Posted on 15 November 16 at 13:52
I8ITackyticsI8I said:
1 vs 100

LA Noire should have been Number 1.
LA Noise was fantastic! The problem is, I don't think they ever meant for it to be a franchise. For obvious reasons, we won't be following Cole around anymore.

However, I would love to see Rockstar make other games like this in various settings. Not just LA. Stick to that 1940'site Era as well.

Who cares about all that CSI crap they put into games these days. I like the good old fashioned detective work games.
JMJimmy
JMJimmy
Posted on 15 November 16 at 14:01
Grimace221 said:
Ooo there's a great set of Top 5s to do: Top 5 [insert genre] games you may have missed

Rules: must be 360 title, must have been played by fewer than 50,000 TA members (to avoid it being a "top 5 most popular [insert genre]"), Duplicate titles have their player totals combined (ie: Diablo III & Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition (Xbox 360) count as 63k TA members played)
Life, it's funny that way.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 15 November 16 at 14:05
JMJimmy said:
Grimace221 said:
Ooo there's a great set of Top 5s to do: Top 5 [insert genre] games you may have missed

Rules: must be 360 title, must have been played by fewer than 50,000 TA members (to avoid it being a "top 5 most popular [insert genre]"), Duplicate titles have their player totals combined (ie: Diablo III & Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition (Xbox 360) count as 63k TA members played)
Similar to the Easter Egg stories they used to run. Always enjoyed those.
Still waiting for sigs to stop deleting.
Darthchewee
Darthchewee
Posted on 15 November 16 at 14:15
Brute Force has to be one of the best couch co-op games to ever be made. I had a new years party where we just stayed up all night playing through it way back when.
MAH BOI 420
MAH BOI 420
Posted on 18 November 16 at 13:40
billbillbill said:
Just have to point out: DmC: Devil May Cry was really well received by everyone except a reactionary, retrogressive fandom. It's 'commercial failure' has been attributed to Capcom's marketing, where the game was poorly released and wasn't adequately promoted in either the East or West.

The problems mentioned, with the lore and the characterisation of Dante, have always been things that irked me... because they were the best things to get rid of. Like... a 'white haired badass'...? He was established as indestructible, wore red-leather chaps, rode a motorbike and referred to everyone as 'babe'. : / As a game of the early '00s you think, Yeah, fair enough. It was a different time.' But to transpose that NOW...? : /
If you play the earlier games they're technically brilliant (except 2...), but they're bloated and cheesy beyond all measure, their stories becoming increasingly convoluted and melodramatic. Oddly enough, they're very similar to Capcom's other staple series Resident Evil, in that regard... As different as 7 may look, it's still a sequel to 6...

The reasons listed aren't why it tanked... They're the grousing of a rabid fandom desperate for the past that never gave it a chance...
*Sigh...* Pity DmC never sold well enough and Ninja Theory moved on... : (
Oh get stuffed.

It tanked because it was an inferior facsimile of the originals that ran and played worse with a completely detestable main character and a story so politically unsubtle that it makes Family Guy seem measured and discreet. That's not to mention the amount of terrible and antagonistic PR Ninja Theory engaged in before and after the release, with the gaming press as well all too eager to jump in and smear the general population for not taking to it. Looks like the victim blaming is continuing well after release, I see. Because insulting people is the best way to get people to buy your game, isn't it?

On a side note if the series seems similar to Resident Evil it's because it is. The first Devil May Cry started out life as a prototype for Resident Evil 4 I believe, with Capcom scrapping the concept and Hideki Kamiya developing it into its own series. The first game in particular is extremely similar in style.

Dante was always a bit of a tool in the previous games but he was never an abrasive cunt like the new one was, and that's the key difference. Whether or not the character is current is completely irrelevant; are you saying that being a petulant little shit is what is currently "in"? I honestly think the reception wouldn't have been nearly as hostile had they not made him as much of a prick as he was, but really when Ninja Theory's writing is on the level of obnoxious teenager that's to be expected.
OH NO, THE BIG BOOBIES ARE SCARING ME! MUUUUUUUUUM!!!! -osubluejacket
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 18 November 16 at 21:50
MAH BOI 420 said:
It tanked because it was an inferior facsimile of the originals that ran and played worse with a completely detestable main character and a story so politically unsubtle that it makes Family Guy seem measured and discreet.
I will say this. I bought DMC when it was on sale on the X1 and I've played a bit of it. The game itself isn't that bad so far. It plays a lot like any other DMC game which means it's a solid action game. I also don't mind the political angle going on.

What I can't stand is how they chose to change Dante. I could deal with them rebooting the games and trying for a more serious story this time around but that's not how it played out. Dante's origins here are super cheesy - he's basically Little Nicky. The writing and character are just as cheesy and stupid, just in an entirely different way. It's like someone said "No, I don't like cheesy 80's movies so old Dante is out. Instead we're going to make him a horrible 90's action hero who looks anorexic." Original Dante was stupid but charming in his own way this guy is just abrasive and an ass.

MAH BOI 420 said:
That's not to mention the amount of terrible and antagonistic PR Ninja Theory engaged in before and after the release
So much this. I could have easily moved on from DMC and went back to enjoying Ninja Theory games again. I liked Heavy Sword and I loved Enslaved. Both were mediocre games but the writing and visual work that went into them was fantastic. I loved the hell out of them. But once I saw how antagonistic their PR was, and realized it was coming from the co-founder and not some idiot who would be fired for it, I decided that's it for me and them. Without their utterly stupid comments I don't think the backlash would have been as bad as it was.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.