Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Voice Acting Strike May Have Revealed Several Unannounced Titles

• EurydaceEurydace623,771
  • Tendoman77Tendoman774,310,845
    Posted on 16 November 16 at 02:31
    I see a new Batman Arkham game, isn't this series supposed to be finished for good now following Arkham Knight?
  • ErunionErunion215,635
    Posted on 16 November 16 at 02:33
    Tendoman77 said:
    I see a new Batman Arkham game, isn't this series supposed to be finished for good now following Arkham Knight?
    Arkham Underworld is a phone game, already released but presumably with ongoing VA work for added characters and whatnot.
  • Tendoman77Tendoman774,310,845
    Posted on 16 November 16 at 02:38
    Erunion said:
    Tendoman77 said:
    Arkham Underworld is a phone game, already released but presumably with ongoing VA work for added characters and whatnot.
    Ah I see, thank you for confirming that.
  • Posted on 16 November 16 at 03:17
    Tendoman77 said:
    The Arkham series could very easily continue. Unfortunately and honestly almost pointlessly it would go on without Rocksteady. They said Arkham Knight was the end for them and why they passed Origins over to WB.
    One does not simply tK some of the day. tK all day.
  • Posted on 16 November 16 at 03:18
    Ooh Ooh. Is Vin Diesel doing Groot? Nobody is as articulate and charismatic enough to pull off a talking tree quite like him.
  • Posted on 16 November 16 at 03:19
    Those bottom two, Metallica and Sabbath interest me, as they're clearly references to the bands Metallica and Black Sabbath, and their production IDs are super close so they must have been planned about the same time but with the exeption of Lego Rock Band I don't think WB Games have had their hand in the music genres?

It came back with Rock Band 4 and Guitar Hero Live recently, I wonder if they're going to try and do whole band spin offs similar to GH: Van Halen, GH: Aerosmith and so on? Although there already is a GH: Metallica, so who knows.
  • Posted on 16 November 16 at 03:20
    What drives me crazy about this is the simple fact that there are people who can do the voices absolutely perfectly who are more then happy to do it for less pay but won't. I can't say I know the pay scale for anything in this nature but I assume it's safe to day they make a decent living at the very least. Don't want to do it for the pay? Fine. Nice on. But to cry and strike, but potentially taking something fans and consumers(the people who actually matter) want away from them? That irks me.
  • Posted on 16 November 16 at 03:30
    Butters tK said:
    What drives me crazy about this is the simple fact that there are people who can do the voices absolutely perfectly who are more then happy to do it for less pay but won't. I can't say I know the pay scale for anything in this nature but I assume it's safe to day they make a decent living at the very least. Don't want to do it for the pay? Fine. Nice on. But to cry and strike, but potentially taking something fans and consumers(the people who actually matter) want away from them? That irks me.
    Scabs irk me more. They are worth less than pond scum.
    Posted on 16 November 16 at 03:32
    Butters tK said:
    I don't really have an opinion on it other than to say that voice acting is not easy. Just because you have a good voice for a character doesn't mean you'd be able to voice act for that character. A lot goes into doing it well.
  • KirkSadlerKirkSadler326,992
    Posted on 16 November 16 at 03:35
    Farmer jimbob said:
    Those bottom two, Metallica and Sabbath interest me, as they're clearly references to the bands Metallica and Black Sabbath, and their production IDs are super close so they must have been planned about the same time but with the exeption of Lego Rock Band I don't think WB Games have had their hand in the music genres?

It came back with Rock Band 4 and Guitar Hero Live recently, I wonder if they're going to try and do whole band spin offs similar to GH: Van Halen, GH: Aerosmith and so on? Although there already is a GH: Metallica, so who knows.
    That caught my eye too, but above there is a Batman aka Zeppelin, so perhaps those are just codenames for another game. But here is dreaming for more music games!!!
  • Posted on 16 November 16 at 03:41
    Eurydace said:
    Butters tK said:
    I don't really have an opinion on it other than to say that voice acting is not easy. Just because you have a good voice for a character doesn't mean you'd be able to voice act for that character. A lot goes into doing it well.
    Absolutely. I'm not taking anything away from their talents but the amount of people who can recreate the voices is huge. Put out a casting call that can all be done online these days it's not hard to find. Unless it's The Joker. No matter how good someone is they will never be Mark Hamill
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 16 November 16 at 03:47
    Fun fact, voice actors "poor pay" is approximately $2000 for sitting in a chair and yelling for a couple hours. I'm not fucking joking.

Granted they don't do this on a regular schedule but even still, one "session" is on par if not greater than someone working a lousy minimum wage job for 30-40 hours a week's MONTH'S PAY.

Voice actors are entitled shitheads.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 16 November 16 at 04:02
    How is this even news? It tells us utterly NOTHING about anything.
  • Posted on 16 November 16 at 04:17
    Doominatorx6 said:
    Fun fact, voice actors "poor pay" is approximately $2000 for sitting in a chair and yelling for a couple hours. I'm not fucking joking.

Granted they don't do this on a regular schedule but even still, one "session" is on par if not greater than someone working a lousy minimum wage job for 30-40 hours a week's MONTH'S PAY.

I'd love a source. Can you show me?
  • NoaAltwynnNoaAltwynn603,134
    Posted on 16 November 16 at 04:45
    Doominatorx6 said:

Do you realize that for most Voice actors that they'll have one, maybe two gigs in a three to six month period of time? That money they earn has to sustain them until they get the next gig while they hustle and work their asses off to secure that next gig which isn't a guarantee. This is to protect the lesser know ladies and gents who do voice work and many of them have another job to cover the lean times. There's also a question about safety and not straining the tool they use to do their job, their voice, due to all the yelling that's in games lately.

The big names show up so often because they're a known quantity, they don't have to work as hard to get those gigs and companies pay accordingly for the talent. This is also the reason why someone like Nolan North, who is incredibly talented and can do many voices, gets cast to sound like Nathan Drake in every game, because people know who he is. But, this fight is not for the big names as they have the ability to work in a manner they want because of who they are. This is a fight for the little guys.

Honestly, I feel that both sides have problems they need to solve especially since the last time the Union renegotiated their contracts was back in the '90s. But, I also see the strike as valid right now.

The games industry, however, needs to take a serious look at how it treats its workforce in general. Lots of crappy things happen to the folks that make our games and I think it needs to stop. Unions are a tool to do this so long as they remain faithful to the people they represent.

So, you should probably do a bit of research into something before you call the people entitled shitheads.
    Posted on 16 November 16 at 04:56
    o DEEVIUS o said:
    How is this even news? It tells us utterly NOTHING about anything.
    It tells you what's in development. It's fun. I don't think the title was misleading.
  • OldMateClownOldMateClown981,219
    Posted on 16 November 16 at 05:00
    NoaAltwynn said:
    Doominatorx6 said:

Do you realize that for most Voice actors that they'll have one, maybe two gigs in a three to six month period of time? That money they earn has to sustain them until they get the next gig while they hustle and work their asses off to secure that next gig which isn't a guarantee. This is to protect the lesser know ladies and gents who do voice work and many of them have another job to cover the lean times. There's also a question about safety and not straining the tool they use to do their job, their voice, due to all the yelling that's in games lately.

The big names show up so often because they're a known quantity, they don't have to work as hard to get those gigs and companies pay accordingly for the talent. This is also the reason why someone like Nolan North, who is incredibly talented and can do many voices, gets cast to sound like Nathan Drake in every game, because people know who he is. But, this fight is not for the big names as they have the ability to work in a manner they want because of who they are. This is a fight for the little guys.

Honestly, I feel that both sides have problems they need to solve especially since the last time the Union renegotiated their contracts was back in the '90s. But, I also see the strike as valid right now.

The games industry, however, needs to take a serious look at how it treats its workforce in general. Lots of crappy things happen to the folks that make our games and I think it needs to stop. Unions are a tool to do this so long as they remain faithful to the people they represent.

So, you should probably do a bit of research into something before you call the people entitled shitheads.
    Pretty much this. Aside from the few voice actors that are constantly in employment (Troy Baker, Nolan North, Liam O'Brian, Christopher Sabat (more animation than games but still)) odds are that $2k for a couple of hours work has to last you a good month or more until your next job, saying people are entitled because they want to be able to live comfortably between gigs is a bit of a stretch.
  • PenguinStevePenguinSteve638,067
    Posted on 16 November 16 at 06:42
    No way a Marvel game is codenamed Blue Harvest, its Star Wars, and for the love of all that is holy be 1313
  • Posted on 16 November 16 at 06:46, Edited on 16 November 16 at 07:24 by Psychotic Jon
    I just wanted to clarify a few things on the costs associated with voice acting. To begin, I worked with a production company for a couple years and over those years I learned quite a bit. The question that most people ask is how much do voice actors and actresses get paid. The answer is that it depends on many factors. The main factors being: what do they sound like, the length of the script, and what they are being asked to read (e.g., monotone scripts cost less to produce than scripts that require the voice actor/actress to express emotion). Another costly factor is how experienced is the voice actor/actress, because the more work they've done in the past often influences how much they will demand in order to accept a new job. Of course, there are other factors that can influence the costs associated with voice acting, but for the most part those four factors play a significant role (pun intended). Lastly, most of the voice actors/actresses I worked with get paid just enough to cover their expenses and a little extra to make it worth their time. There were however a few instances where the voice actor/actress was paid more than half of what my (eight person) crew was paid. Hope I cleared up a few things, but if you have any questions feel free to ask!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.