Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Voice Acting Strike May Have Revealed Several Unannounced Titles

• ShinnizleShinnizle1,711,558
    Posted on 17 November 16 at 03:51
    DominusTenebrae said:
    Personally I could care less about the "voice acting" (as if that's a real "skill" READING IS NOT A SKILL OR TALENT!!) as long as I have subtitles. Who cares about the voice "talent"? I'd prefer to read most of the dialogue in games and movies. Yes, I put subtitles on even though I can hear just fine thank you. Reading is a lost necessity we need to embrace. Stop telling me how Batman "should" sound and let me use my own process to put a voice to the words.

Voice talent. Like it takes f-ing skill to read a f-ing placard/sheet of paper. That's as about as talented as you need to be to cut grass.
    It's too late for a rebuttal, and really, with such a silly frame of mind, I don't even wanna waste time arguing, so I'll just leave this here:
    http://i.imgur.com/iWKad22.jpg
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • YoDzYoDz628,421
    Posted on 17 November 16 at 03:56
    this reminds me of when fast food workers went on strike in my state demanding $15/hour.. long story short, they got pay in seattle raised to $13/hour but now companies hire less people and now a lot of those people are out of work. moral is you cant have your cake and eat it too. if you cant make a decent living doing your job maybe its time took look for a new career instead of striking and ruining future opportunities for others.
  • EurydaceEurydace623,771
    Posted on 17 November 16 at 04:03
    YoDz said:
    this reminds me of when fast food workers went on strike in my state demanding $15/hour.. long story short, they got pay in seattle raised to $13/hour but now companies hire less people and now a lot of those people are out of work. moral is you cant have your cake and eat it too. if you cant make a decent living doing your job maybe its time took look for a new career instead of striking and ruining future opportunities for others.
    This isn't the same thing. This is a skill-based job where hiring less isn't even possible.
  • Posted on 17 November 16 at 04:24, Edited on 17 November 16 at 04:25 by N0T PENNYS B0AT
    YoDz said:
    This pro-corporate stance saddens me whenever I see it. Wages have not increased with inflation, at least not in the US. Profit margins have expanded while wages stagnated or trickled out with small improvements that didn't keep pace with the cost of living, and when working class citizens ask for their share of a livable wage, corporations like McDonald's threaten "we can't do that, it'll harm the business." No it really won't. It'll harm the bottom lines of those at the top, and quite a ways down, sure, but is everyone not entitled to get by? They refuse to do it because it means their piece of the pie gets smaller, but that piece would still be plenty. People just don't like to go back to a previous income once they've reached a new figure. We see it in sports with athlete contracts, and it's also why ticket prices never decrease, only do they occasionally freeze.

Then corporations turn around and threaten, "well if we have to pay you people more we will just automate it and robots will do it for free." That's coming regardless. That's an unstoppable train. They pretend it's an either/or scenario -- either you accept poor wages or we replace you with automated systems, but no. That'll happen everywhere. Just ask truck drivers, Uber and Lyft, pretty much any factory work, soon all computer jobs, et al. There are few jobs, relative to the overall number available, that can't reasonably be replaced by this automation soon if it hasn't been replaced already.

The voice actor strike is similar in this regard. AAA games take a lot of work to make, and yeah if the actors get paid more changes will come to the industry. Particularly, what will follow is a unionization of the developers who are being left out of this equation. But that's on them to unionize. They can't complain that the actors have the right checks in place to assist them in getting paid better. Devs should do the same too. EA and the like can afford to pay all of them more fairly, it just takes change which corporations dread, especially when it comes to the money they pocket.

They throw out a lot of politicking to influence public opinion. "If we have to pay them more money games might get cancelled or delayed or we might not be able to make as many." So what? Make fewer games then. We don't need annualized series or even the every-other-year sequels. The whole AAA space is prone to a lack of inspiration, so put the art back into the medium by making fewer games but making them in an environment conducive to creative expression for the game makers and making them as special as you can. If a strike and further unionization in the games industry means we don't get games like Assassin's Creed Revelations and Dead Rising Off The Record, then by all means, I want that.

Sorry, I'm just sort of rambling but it always disappoints me to see anyone siding with corporations. It's always seemed like brainwashing to me. Like poor people who vote for candidates that have historically always favored making the rich richer. They're not on your team, don't be on theirs.

Edit: a word
  • FiveWizzFiveWizz555,223
    Posted on 17 November 16 at 09:17
    ^
    l
    you smashed it mate.
  • NawtyCawtyNawtyCawty804,677
    Posted on 17 November 16 at 14:02
    Would be interesting to know how much they think they are actually worth. They aren't real actors after all and I am sure there are thousands of other people who would be very willing and could do a similar or even better job of it.
  • Posted on 17 November 16 at 14:12
    NawtyCawty said:
    Would be interesting to know how much they think they are actually worth. They aren't real actors after all and I am sure there are thousands of other people who would be very willing and could do a similar or even better job of it.
    It's no secret how much they're asking for. They've shared that information. And if there are others that are willing and more talented, they'd already be doing it. Of course they're real actors. Kind of absurd to say they're not, haha.
  • Posted on 17 November 16 at 14:23
    Shinnizle said:
    DominusTenebrae said:
    Personally I could care less about the "voice acting" (as if that's a real "skill" READING IS NOT A SKILL OR TALENT!!) as long as I have subtitles. Who cares about the voice "talent"? I'd prefer to read most of the dialogue in games and movies. Yes, I put subtitles on even though I can hear just fine thank you. Reading is a lost necessity we need to embrace. Stop telling me how Batman "should" sound and let me use my own process to put a voice to the words.

Voice talent. Like it takes f-ing skill to read a f-ing placard/sheet of paper. That's as about as talented as you need to be to cut grass.
    It's too late for a rebuttal, and really, with such a silly frame of mind, I don't even wanna waste time arguing, so I'll just leave this here:
    You can use whatever meme or gif you want. The fact remains that reading is not a talent. Period. Think of all the great games on the nes, master system, genesis, snes, etc. No voice acting or very little. There is not a game out there that REQUIRES voice acting. It can all be done with subtitles. If these people want to strike, fine. Just keep in mind that the higher wages you feel these people (not actors) deserve will trickle down to the price of the games you buy. No free lunch in economics, baby.
  • SoupaBuoySoupaBuoy751,386
    Posted on 17 November 16 at 14:28
    NawtyCawty said:
    As with many contract disputes, this is surrounding the minimums that are offered to people. The people who can do a similar/better job will get offered more money than what is being disputed here.
  • SoupaBuoySoupaBuoy751,386
    Posted on 17 November 16 at 14:33
    DominusTenebrae said:
    Shinnizle said:
    DominusTenebrae said:

You can use whatever meme or gif you want. The fact remains that reading is not a talent. Period. Think of all the great games on the nes, master system, genesis, snes, etc. No voice acting or very little. There is not a game out there that REQUIRES voice acting. It can all be done with subtitles. If these people want to strike, fine. Just keep in mind that the higher wages you feel these people (not actors) deserve will trickle down to the price of the games you buy. No free lunch in economics, baby.
    Disagree. The games industry has shown over time that it's really, really reluctant to break the £50 mark for the price of games as that's the point where you see a massive drop-off in sales. With the huge budgets that are used to market games, there's more than enough flex to pay to guys providing a single line here or there a little more money - particularly with the figures they'll likely end up paying the "big names". They absolutely do not have to pass the cost onto the consumer - they just justify it that way so they can make a bigger mark-up on a sale later down the line.
  • Das KuhnenDas Kuhnen739,777
    Posted on 17 November 16 at 14:45
    Elite1111111111 said:
    I find it interesting Defense Grid 2 is listed. DLC?
    Sure hope so!
    Half the lies I tell are not true...
  • FiveWizzFiveWizz555,223
    Posted on 17 November 16 at 15:26
    N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
    NawtyCawty said:
    It's no secret how much they're asking for. They've shared that information. And if there are others that are willing and more talented, they'd already be doing it. Of course they're real actors. Kind of absurd to say they're not, haha.
    Exactly.

To OP: If you apply that logic to Animated films also, are they also not actors? I would wholeheartedly disagree. Often they are "Real" actors who have been employed due to their ability to evoke emotion. They even use "Real" actors from actual movies to voice act video games. So then that would mean they're no longer actors the moment they step into the booth?

Anyway I'm not having a go at all I just wanted to discuss the point :) But this is all certainly my opinion on it.
  • Wicked JeiWicked Jei821,939
    Posted on 17 November 16 at 16:00
    lol @ the kid that thinks voice acting is just reading a sheet of paper, you truly have no idea
    lol @ pro-corporation working class people that vote against their interests and continue to get screwed

Unions are good. Strikes are good. Power to the working class. I wish them luck.
  • Elite1111111111Elite11111111111,013,160
    Posted on 17 November 16 at 16:04, Edited on 17 November 16 at 16:07 by Elite1111111111
    DominusTenebrae said:
    Reading is not a talant? Yes hello the Ghost from Destiny would like a word with you. Yes I know there was talk that he was told to convey like that, but the point it bad voice acting can really make an experience cringeworthy. Good voice acting makes it memorable.

Yeah lets just put subtitles in all the cartoons, screw talking. That'd be so fun to watch.
    Why even animate? Everything is a cutout on a Popsicle stick.
    In fact, just give gamers the script, it's all in your head.
    Oh wait, that's a book.
  • Posted on 17 November 16 at 17:59
    This post contains unbalanced formatting tags and cannot be rendered at this time.
  • Posted on 17 November 16 at 18:29
    Metallica... Sabbath?!? I must know more!
  • ShinnizleShinnizle1,711,558
    Posted on 17 November 16 at 19:29, Edited on 17 November 16 at 19:30 by Shinnizle
    DominusTenebrae said:
    It's not READING, it's acting what's written on the sheet you blithering idiot. I'm sorry I have to resort to name calling, but you are so ignorant it pisses me off. Voice acting is art, just like regular acting.

I'd be willing to bet that you don't have the talent (because yes, voice acting is a talent) to convince me that you are scared/overjoyed/sad/angry by simply reading a line. Voice acting bring a character's emotions to life, and you need talent and practice to accomplish that.

Imagine if all the voices were taken out of every movie, ever. So you would see Leonardo DiCaprio, but never hear him. He just does the moves, but everything is subtitled. Maybe you would like that, but I don't think many people would. And even if you still liked that, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it more.

As far as that "deaf kids still watch cartoons" line you said earlier... Wow, that doesn't even make sense. With that train of thought, I'll break your legs and make sure you never walk again because, you know, some people can't walk and they live well enough like that, so I don't see why you wouldn't roll
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • WhyattThrashWhyattThrash472,659
    Posted on 17 November 16 at 19:54
    DominusTenebrae said:
    Elite1111111111 said:
    Yeah lets just put subtitles in all the cartoons, screw talking. That'd be so fun to watch.
    And yet deaf kids still watch cartoons.
    Blind people play games, what do we have all these graphics for
  • Posted on 17 November 16 at 21:28
    Shinnizle said:
    It's not READING, it's acting what's written on the sheet you blithering idiot. I'm sorry I have to resort to name calling, but you are so ignorant it pisses me off.
    When an arguement devolves into name calling, the arguement is lost.

Shinnizle said:
    Voice acting is art, just like regular acting.
    No, it's not.

Shinnizle said:
    Voice acting bring a character's emotions to life, and you need talent and practice to accomplish that.
    Clearly it doesn't or the industry would view it as something to compensate. You don't get to demand something for your skill if your employer doesn't NEED your skill. "I have a medical degree to fix hearts so I demand you pay me $200k per year to change car oil!" It doesn't work that way. EVER.

Shinnizle said:
    Imagine if all the voices were taken out of every movie, ever. So you would see Leonardo DiCaprio, but never hear him. He just does the moves, but everything is subtitled. Maybe you would like that, but I don't think many people would. And even if you still liked that, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it more.
    Straw man arguement. Apples are not oranges, etc.

Shinnizle said:
    As far as that "deaf kids still watch cartoons" line you said earlier... Wow, that doesn't even make sense. With that train of thought, I'll break your legs and make sure you never walk again because, you know, some people can't walk and they live well enough like that, so I don't see why you wouldn't roll
    It absolutely makes sense. The arguement presented indicated that because there is no sound, deaf children should not want to watch cartoons, but yet they still do and would even if there was no voice work. People will play and continue to play whether there are voices or not.

Clearly you and the rest of the SJWs have lost this discussion. The "stick it to the corporation" arguement is just as asinine as stating that someone deserves a higher rate of compensation for a skill 99% of the population can replicate.

By your argument you'd probably say: She's not a whore who has sex for money, she's an actress that has sex for money. Even though sex can be done by anyone. Except you.

*mic drop*
  • Posted on 17 November 16 at 21:38
    Nothing makes sense anymore. laugh
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.