The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

UPDATED: XBL Black Friday 2016 Xbox One Sales

• pseudoidolpseudoidol134,238
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 13:12, Edited on 19 November 16 at 13:12 by pseudoidol
    SilentJay76 said:
    pseudoidol said:
    Can somebody with a marketing and sales background confirm this is a "smart sales tactic" or is it, as it appears to the average consumer... pure stupidity.
    Considering that it's virtually impossible to even find any deals/sales on the Xbox, if it wasn't for sites like TA, I'm going to say there's an awful lot of stupidity involved.

Have a sale, but don't advertise it. Sell a complete edition for half the price of the standard edition. Sell a digital copy for five times the price of the disc version. There's a real genius at work, I'm sure.

But... it's easy to bitch and moan. Nonetheless we do get some great deals on a fairly regular basis. Just have to pick and choose wisely...
    I'm glad someone can see what I'm getting at SilentJay76, I just wish 'pick and choose wisely' didn't include so much hoping and dumb luck... Example, I buy Blood Dragon on sale thinking it's got awesome reviews and I know I'll enjoy it down the line sometime... Then BAM!.. 2 weeks later it's a free GwG. Or worse I buy Witcher 3 vanilla on sale for 30 bucks for the same reason, it was GOTY with great reviews and... you guessed it... BAM!.. Now the GOTY edition is the same price as I paid for the vanilla version and the DLC even now on sale adds up to the price that the GOTY edition is, so I pay another 30 just for the DLC or 30 for the GOTY edition, either way these "sales" see me paying double the price for the same content and you're punished for taking advantage of a previous sale, in this case I'd have been better of forgoing the previous sale for this one but then taking the risk that the games I want will not be included in the next sale ... there's just no logic to the items and prices they choose from sale to sale.
    Looking to boost: HALO 5 KILLER INSTINCT
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 19 November 16 at 13:52
    Although I'll probably never get around to playing them, gotta be Dragon Age Inquisition, Life Is Strange, Metro Redux Bundle and HITMAN for me smile
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,403,519
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 13:55
    pseudoidol said:
    SilentJay76 said:
    pseudoidol said:
    Can somebody with a marketing and sales background confirm this is a "smart sales tactic" or is it, as it appears to the average consumer... pure stupidity.
    Considering that it's virtually impossible to even find any deals/sales on the Xbox, if it wasn't for sites like TA, I'm going to say there's an awful lot of stupidity involved.

Have a sale, but don't advertise it. Sell a complete edition for half the price of the standard edition. Sell a digital copy for five times the price of the disc version. There's a real genius at work, I'm sure.

But... it's easy to bitch and moan. Nonetheless we do get some great deals on a fairly regular basis. Just have to pick and choose wisely...
    I'm glad someone can see what I'm getting at SilentJay76, I just wish 'pick and choose wisely' didn't include so much hoping and dumb luck... Example, I buy Blood Dragon on sale thinking it's got awesome reviews and I know I'll enjoy it down the line sometime... Then BAM!.. 2 weeks later it's a free GwG. Or worse I buy Witcher 3 vanilla on sale for 30 bucks for the same reason, it was GOTY with great reviews and... you guessed it... BAM!.. Now the GOTY edition is the same price as I paid for the vanilla version and the DLC even now on sale adds up to the price that the GOTY edition is, so I pay another 30 just for the DLC or 30 for the GOTY edition, either way these "sales" see me paying double the price for the same content and you're punished for taking advantage of a previous sale, in this case I'd have been better of forgoing the previous sale for this one but then taking the risk that the games I want will not be included in the next sale ... there's just no logic to the items and prices they choose from sale to sale.
    The earlier you purchase something, the more likely it will be available for cheaper later, especially if you are purchasing in its active lifecycle. Always. This goes for pretty much everything in consumer products. This has been a concept ever since the Industrial Revolution.
  • WhyattThrashWhyattThrash511,237
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 13:58
    pseudoidol said:
    I don't get this logic. You at one point thought that it was a deal good enough to invest in, otherwise you wouldn't have done it, right? Then when further down the line a better deal comes along, it doesn't make the first one worse. You decided that it was good enough for you. No one else forced you to make that decision.

I also don't get the "punished" sentiment. You got to play the game before everyone else who waited for another deal, that's a benefit, not a punishment. And you got the game at a price that you at one point deemed reasonable.
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,403,519
  • The AllslayerThe Allslayer1,252,843
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 14:57
    Kilerden said:
    It is better to buy The witcher GOTY instead of the dlc seperate or the season pass? 0.o

Or am I missing out on some content that way?
    You don't miss out on any content however you purchase, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine is the only paid content everything else is free. GOTY is a separate game though (stackable achievement list + Standard version saves aren't compatible)
  • Posted on 19 November 16 at 15:37
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Now the sales are so big they have to come in parts, like a blockbuster movie :)

Several deals in here to tempt me.
    Thanks for the information as usual. I always check your page every week toast
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 15:53
    WhyattThrash said:
    pseudoidol said:
    I don't get this logic. You at one point thought that it was a deal good enough to invest in, otherwise you wouldn't have done it, right? Then when further down the line a better deal comes along, it doesn't make the first one worse. You decided that it was good enough for you. No one else forced you to make that decision.

I also don't get the "punished" sentiment. You got to play the game before everyone else who waited for another deal, that's a benefit, not a punishment. And you got the game at a price that you at one point deemed reasonable.
    Blood Dragon was an example, I deemed the sale price as acceptable and still do, if in a few month time it was free then fair enough, but offering it a a sale price then less than a month later offering it for free is where the stupidity comes into it, because the sale price was justifiable but they still get to turn around and say "we give you $$$ worth of free GwG every year, ones that we drastically reduce the price of so you will buy and then have no need to take it for free when it's GwG. Why do you think sales and GwG are only announced within a week or month and not advertised 6-12 months in advance? Because sales numbers would drop if people knew that 3 weeks after a sale it would be free.

The "punished" sentiment is in the items and prices that are chosen for a sale... and I will resend my condemnation if anyone can justify 1. Why full games are selling for less than the DLC for those games, or even worse, 2. Games like The Witcher 3 GOTY edition is now cheaper than the base game and it's DLC... How is it justifiable to sell a complete GOTY edition for less than the same content sold separately and I'm not talking by a dollar or two to cover the operational costs of three transactions instead of one transaction... I'm talking like $20 difference in the price of the two separate complete versions, GOTY $39.98, standard + DLC $59.50. Simply put why isn't the DLC sale price cheaper? So I paid for it earlier and got to play it sooner, true, but that doesn't explain why I now have to pay approx. 75% the GOTY price just for the DLC. If the GOTY price is $39.98 and the standard is $27.73, do the maths, why isn't the DLC price $12.25 combined instead of $31.77... Same content at almost 3x the price. Justify why that's the case and I'll concede my "punished" point of view is wrong.
  • BattleWolfLVBattleWolfLV758,556
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 16:20
    o DEEVIUS o said:
    Dragon Age Inquisition, Metro Redux Bundle
    wonderful choice. these are brilliant games.
    Gamer since 1992: Elektronika BK-0010 -> NES -> SEGA Mega Drive 2 -> PC -> XBOX360 / X-ONE
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 16:49
    pseudoidol said:
    Blood Dragon was an example, I deemed the sale price as acceptable and still do, if in a few month time it was free then fair enough, but offering it a a sale price then less than a month later offering it for free is where the stupidity comes into it
    I agree that if that's a planned business strategy, it's indeed a shady one. But again, you found the price reasonable and bought it, so you still got the deal you wanted.pseudoidol said:
    The "punished" sentiment is in the items and prices that are chosen for a sale... and I will resend my condemnation if anyone can justify 1. Why full games are selling for less than the DLC for those games, or even worse
    Because that one thing is on sale doesn't mean that another thing has to be. They want to sell this specific product and are under no obligation to rebate anything else because of it. No one is forcing you to buy neither the DLC nor the GOTY. Just don't buy it if you don't find the price reasonable.
    pseudoidol said:
    2. Games like The Witcher 3 GOTY edition is now cheaper than the base game and it's DLC... How is it justifiable to sell a complete GOTY edition for less than the same content sold separately...
    Bundles ARE cheaper than buying things separately. That's the entire point of bundles.pseudoidol said:
    Simply put why isn't the DLC sale price cheaper?
    Because whoever is marketing these things aren't interested in selling separate DLC. For whatever reason. IF you absolutely HAVE to buy DLC and think that they're too expensive separately, then wait until a bundle comes out. That's what it's for.
  • SilentJay76SilentJay76742,273
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 16:58
    Try not to forget that Microsoft and/or every publisher involved is a business. Of course they try to make money.

If you already own the base game (and enjoyed it), they know that you're more likely to spend X dollars for the DLC, as opposed to someone buying it "blindly" in a bundle (without knowing whether they'll even enjoy the game.)

After all of the above discussion, I'm glad I rarely ever pay more than €10 for a game. If it goes free next month - oh well... smile
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce1,763,818
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 17:03
    SirBaxter77 said:
    Why is NBA 2K17 marked !U! ? Havent read that in the forums and it says nothing about that on the games page on TA? Could it be the glithy story achievments? But I still would not mark it !U!
    NBA 2K17Secret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in NBA 2K17 worth 121 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

Not only has no one on the site unlocked it, but the lack of a rare diamond indicates that no one across the whole Xbox ecosystem has unlocked it either.
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • capicawlcapicawl742,063
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 18:20
    Some of these prices are cheaper than the trade in values I would get at GameStop. It's refreshing to get a couple extra dollars back by going digital.
  • WestsideSxEWestsideSxE506,762
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 18:24
    In the thinly related category, NewEgg has has the Power A wired Star Wars bOne controllers for $20 this weekend, with a free copy of PES 15 for no apparent reason - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2ZN-00CM-000...

Been using the (weird helmet new trilogy) Stormtrooper one for a few weeks, not too shabby
  • GottleGottle1,002,335
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 19:35, Edited on 19 November 16 at 19:36 by Gottle
    *WARNING*
    Forza 5 servers seems to have some problems, some achievements are unobtainable, at the moment.
  • Darth ReillyDarth Reilly490,547
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 21:20
    The only one i like is the oddwolrd deal i been waiting for that to go on sale. The other deals are crap gamestop best buy etc will have 2 for 1 and better deals so alot of these would be a waste of money. i thought that was a selling point for buying digital it would be cheaper but you almost always get ripped off.
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 21:50
    WhyattThrash said:
    pseudoidol said:
    Blood Dragon was an example, I deemed the sale price as acceptable and still do, if in a few month time it was free then fair enough, but offering it a a sale price then less than a month later offering it for free is where the stupidity comes into it
    I agree that if that's a planned business strategy, it's indeed a shady one. But again, you found the price reasonable and bought it, so you still got the deal you wanted.pseudoidol said:
    The "punished" sentiment is in the items and prices that are chosen for a sale... and I will resend my condemnation if anyone can justify 1. Why full games are selling for less than the DLC for those games, or even worse
    Because that one thing is on sale doesn't mean that another thing has to be. They want to sell this specific product and are under no obligation to rebate anything else because of it. No one is forcing you to buy neither the DLC nor the GOTY. Just don't buy it if you don't find the price reasonable.
    pseudoidol said:
    2. Games like The Witcher 3 GOTY edition is now cheaper than the base game and it's DLC... How is it justifiable to sell a complete GOTY edition for less than the same content sold separately...
    Bundles ARE cheaper than buying things separately. That's the entire point of bundles.pseudoidol said:
    Simply put why isn't the DLC sale price cheaper?
    Because whoever is marketing these things aren't interested in selling separate DLC. For whatever reason. IF you absolutely HAVE to buy DLC and think that they're too expensive separately, then wait until a bundle comes out. That's what it's for.
    But my point is, they are in control, why can't/don't they MAKE the price reasonable?

Also;

Wait for the bundle? The GOTY edition is the bundle! Selling it as a separate product and for a cheaper price than the standard + DLC (or season pass) as I said just punishes anyone who took advantage of their previous offer to buy the standard edition. Unless the season pass is right there next to it on sale for a price that, along with the standard game adds up to the same price as the GOTY edition... Which it is not. So why not offer the season pass on sale? I still see no justification for these sale items to be the way they are other than three words that were mentioned on my previous post. Shady. Business. Practices. In other words, you bought the standard edition, you already have the base game and cannot buy the GOTY edition so "No" we won't discount the DLC or season pass, you just have to buy our game again as the GOTY and increase our unit sales figures or pay the inflated DLC prices.

I'm sorry, I enjoy the debate and appreciate the thoughtful responses Thrash, but I still see no justification here.
    Posted on 19 November 16 at 22:35, Edited on 19 November 16 at 22:47 by WhyattThrash
    pseudoidol said:
    But my point is, they are in control, why can't/don't they MAKE the price reasonable?
    But I thought we'd already established that you thought it was reasonable, since otherwise you wouldn't have bought it?pseudoidol said:
    Wait for the bundle? The GOTY edition is the bundle!
    Exactly. If getting all the DLC at as good a deal as possible was what was important to you, then you could have waited until the GOTY was out and bought that. Or waited for a sale on the GOTY. You didn't do those things, so obviously you had other priorities (like getting to play the game early).

I mean, yes, other people who buy games in a different manner than you will can now get a better deal than you did (albeit MUCH later). And it sounds like you're mostly upset about that, that other people are getting better deals. Isn't that a little bit petty, don't you think?
    Posted on 20 November 16 at 01:28
    WhyattThrash said:
    pseudoidol said:
    But I thought we'd already established that you thought it was reasonable, since otherwise you wouldn't have bought it?pseudoidol said:
    Wait for the bundle? The GOTY edition is the bundle!
    Exactly. If getting all the DLC at as good a deal as possible was what was important to you, then you could have waited until the GOTY was out and bought that. Or waited for a sale on the GOTY. You didn't do those things, so obviously you had other priorities (like getting to play the game early).

I mean, yes, other people who buy games in a different manner than you will can now get a better deal than you did (albeit MUCH later). And it sounds like you're mostly upset about that, that other people are getting better deals. Isn't that a little bit petty, don't you think?
    Don't get confused now, I thought Blood Dragon was reasonable, albeit shady, but now there aren't two identical versions of Blood Dragon with wildly different prices. I left Blood Dragon outta the "MAKE the price reasonable" situation.

And;

No, my issue isn't the "petty" one that I missed a better deal, it's that identical content is being sold as two separate games with vastly different prices... remember this isn't two separate products we're talking about here, it's identical digital downloads equating to the SAME product, digital mind you, so physical packaging can't even be claimed as a reason for the price difference, bundle or not. Furthermore, it's actually a minutely personal thing because I'm in no rush to get the DLC, can and will happily wait for better prices, it's more making public an opinion of an observation on the sales trends of the AAA industry, where somebody has decided they can sell the exact same product in the exact same market an an unjustifiably increased price.
  • Dresden N7Dresden N7556,611
    Posted on 20 November 16 at 02:49, Edited on 20 November 16 at 02:53 by Dresden N7
    o DEEVIUS o said:
    Although I'll probably never get around to playing them, gotta be Dragon Age Inquisition, Life Is Strange, Metro Redux Bundle and HITMAN for me smile
    That's a great haul. I highly recommend all of those games, especially for those prices.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.