Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

The Game Awards Winners List

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 02 December 16 at 05:11
You might've missed the actual awards, but winners were decided

Please click here to read the story: The Game Awards Winners List
That Guy086
386,864
That Guy086
Posted on 02 December 16 at 05:22
I thought Fates was better than Pokémon Go, just my two cents
The SCHWARTZ 00
Posted on 02 December 16 at 05:25
Gears 4 got jerked, should've won Best Action Game. Besides that, I'm glad Overwatch cleaned up, it's an amazing MP game and deserves all the accolades.
Allgorhythm
231,659
Allgorhythm
Posted on 02 December 16 at 05:28
Congratulations to Overwatch that certainly deserved its accolades. Unfortunately, it was in a very flawed field. I quote was I said earlier when I heard of the nominees emphasizing what I said about Blood and Wine:

This looks very sketchy to me. There are 2015 games in the mix. Not only that, but Blood and Wine is not even a game but a DLC. As great as the 2015 Witcher 3 was, a DLC just doesn't pass the laugh test. It looks like the nominating committee could have been a little more diligent in their choices.

Only Overwatch: Origins Edition (IMHO) is a serious candidate for GOTY. There seems to be a bias towards FPSs but, clearly, Titanfall 2 and DOOM don't deserver to be in the same conversation as Overwatch. You have to ask what the committee was smoking nominating DOOM. Admittedly, id Software did a fair job brushing off the cobwebs but the game is closing in on its quarter century anniversary.

Normally, I expect there to be some difference between my personal preferences and the choices of a nominating committee. I accept that. For example, I play few FPSs and prefer single to multiplayer games. Nevertheless, I recognize the exceptional qualities in Overwatch which certainly deserves to be nominated and possibly/probably win. Other titles on the list, though, are very questionable. I can only conclude that the nominating committee lacked the competence to put together a credible list.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 02 December 16 at 05:32
I think Blood and Wine's win should say something about the size and depth of the DLC. It's a deliberate choice for it to have been voted by so many of those who cast ballots. They're telling the industry that Blood and Wine is exceptional and rewrites what we think of as "DLC". Let the definition be altered according to the content. Don't write off the content because of the definition. smile
Linc
231,406
Linc
Posted on 02 December 16 at 05:33
Overwatch winning GOTY is a joke in my opinion. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is the best game Ive played this console generation, let alone for the year.
xONLY INHUMANx
Posted on 02 December 16 at 05:33
overwatch probably won because it was made by blizard. overwatch should be in a different group for game of the year. if the server's die out it will just be another dead game.
look at fallout 4 it won based on name alone. i played it about a month ago and it's full of bugs and it's not a good game.
just personally opinion so all you fallout 4 fan boys calm down
ronnie42
293,422
ronnie42
Posted on 02 December 16 at 05:33
Will never get way Overwatch was game of the year. Beta was okay but couldn't see myself paying for it at full price.
Outsider Fenix
Posted on 02 December 16 at 05:40
This is why no one should take the VGAs seriously. Pokémon Go beats Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter. And a DLC wins best RPG. Freaking laughable.
Eurydace
438,616
Eurydace
Posted on 02 December 16 at 05:42
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
I think Blood and Wine's win should say something about the size and depth of the DLC. It's a deliberate choice for it to have been voted by so many of those who cast ballots. They're telling the industry that Blood and Wine is exceptional and rewrites what we think of as "DLC". Let the definition be altered according to the content. Don't write off the content because of the definition. smile
Eh I think he has a point. Blood and Wine is very good, but it is neither different nor better than witcher 3. It's just more. Were it releases standalone and not tied to the third game I doubt it would have won. It's not worthy.

I imagine a lot of the committee doesn't play MMOs so they likely wouldn't realize, but Legion should have won. Bar none. It is an amazing release that highlights nearly everything wonderful about MMOs and even RPGs in general. It's every bit as good an MMO as Witcher 3 is for single player.

So I'd be curious to see who had even played it from the committee. Because that's a huge time commitment.
lfcjohn
407,962
lfcjohn
Posted on 02 December 16 at 05:46
Jus some suggestion, at dark theme the bold is not obvious for the winner, probably mark it as regular and bold for winner instead of italic and bold.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 02 December 16 at 05:46
Eurydace said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
I think Blood and Wine's win should say something about the size and depth of the DLC. It's a deliberate choice for it to have been voted by so many of those who cast ballots. They're telling the industry that Blood and Wine is exceptional and rewrites what we think of as "DLC". Let the definition be altered according to the content. Don't write off the content because of the definition. smile
Eh I think he has a point. Blood and Wine is very good, but it is neither different nor better than witcher 3. It's just more. Were it releases standalone and not tied to the third game I doubt it would have won. It's not worthy.

I imagine a lot of the committee doesn't play MMOs so they likely wouldn't realize, but Legion should have won. Bar none. It is an amazing release that highlights nearly everything wonderful about MMOs and even RPGs in general. It's every bit as good an MMO as Witcher 3 is for single player.

So I'd be curious to see who had even played it from the committee. Because that's a huge time commitment.
I haven't played anything on the list, so you could be right. I'm just trying to get inside the heads of the voters. Seems like that was the message they had sent by voting that way. At least, the majority of them who did. I'm sure it wasn't unanimous.
ORIGENxGarboMan
Posted on 02 December 16 at 05:51
I'm sure nobody here knows, but I'm interested in what Cloud 9 did outside of League to be considered a better team overall than SKT. Maybe if SKT also won LCK Summer they would have won? I also find it odd that Overwatch won best esports game over things like League and DOTA.
I AM PEKE?
Our Afflictions
Posted on 02 December 16 at 06:00
Dark Souls 3 was GOTY for me. Overwatch winning GOTY is sad.

Overwatch winning Esports game of the year is beyond sad. Nothing comes close to League Of Legends, with LCS weekly, and World Championships..
Eurydace
438,616
Eurydace
Posted on 02 December 16 at 06:18
Yeah I love Overwatch but it was not even deserving of a nomination for esports. LoL should have won.
ZacEfren42
120,057
ZacEfren42
Posted on 02 December 16 at 06:24
Titanfall 2 for me personally was the best game that I've played this year, so it was a bummer that it didn't win anything. I don't think The Game Awards should be taken seriously. It's mostly to see game trailers for next year's biggest games.
Swinny Costello
Posted on 02 December 16 at 06:40
Glad to see Inside pick up some nods. Happy that Blood & Wine won, but I think that Dark Souls 3 was the more rightful choice.
TheIrishBeast
759,582
TheIrishBeast
Posted on 02 December 16 at 06:51
SFV over Killer Instinct is outrageous!

Great to see Overcooked nominated in there, such a great game.

Overwatch and UC4 sweeping all was predictable.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 02 December 16 at 06:55
ZacEfren42 said:
Titanfall 2 for me personally was the best game that I've played this year, so it was a bummer that it didn't win anything. I don't think The Game Awards should be taken seriously. It's mostly to see game trailers for next year's biggest games.
Lmao
t-t-t-today junior
The SCHWARTZ 00
Posted on 02 December 16 at 07:08
TheIrishBeast said:
SFV over Killer Instinct is outrageous!
Yes, complete bullshit. Killer Instinct has 10x the content SFV has and the combat system blows it away as well. But it's a popular franchise, and it's a PS4 game, so you know all the Sony fans voted for it en masse just off general principal.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.