Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

The Game Awards Winners List

AuthorMessage

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 03 December 16 at 00:44
Eurydace said:
Overwatch is not a MOBA at all.
Apparently Blizzard managed to convince the players that it's a shooter. Meanwhile half the characters don't even use guns or projectile based weapons. Blizzard has never developed a quality shooter or one that's been a financial success. So they developed a MOBA and labeled it a shooter so they could claim they finally made a "quality" shooter with good sales to back it up. You've been fooled by the most basic marketing trick: lie to the consumers and hope they buy it. Blizzard has been doing it longer than any other publisher/developer.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 03 December 16 at 00:51
MotoX Champ88 said:
Eurydace said:
Overwatch is not a MOBA at all.
Apparently Blizzard managed to convince the players that it's a shooter. Meanwhile half the characters don't even use guns or projectile based weapons. Blizzard has never developed a quality shooter or one that's been a financial success. So they developed a MOBA and labeled it a shooter so they could claim they finally made a "quality" shooter with good sales to back it up. You've been fooled by the most basic marketing trick: lie to the consumers and hope they buy it. Blizzard has been doing it longer than any other publisher/developer.
I've a few questions for you:

1. What is a MOBA?
2. What makes a game a MOBA?
3. How many hours of Overwatch have you played?
Zorlac0666
Zorlac0666
Posted on 03 December 16 at 00:56
MotoX Champ88 said:
This is how you know TA members as a whole are clueless. Battlefield 1 lost to Doom for best sound... that invalidates this entire thing. I won't even bother wasting my time looking at games that were chosen based on their achievements and not their actual quality.

And overwatch is a kiddie game full of micro transactions... no more needs to be said. And it's not a shooter, it's a MOBA which is the cancer of game genres.

And since they nominated a DLC, where's The Crew's Calling All Units expansion (which TA didn't even make a news post about)? Where's Rise of Iron for Destiny? Both of those are better than what was nominated.
You don't even know what you're talking about. Overwatch a kiddie game? A moba? Full of microtransactions? Seriously, go away.

Rise of iron isn't a game, it's an expansion to a 3 year old game that was barely a shell of a MMO. This isn't saying it wasn't a good game, it's just not game of the year material, and even if it was it wasn't released this year.
PlayUltimate711
Posted on 03 December 16 at 01:30, Edited on 03 December 16 at 01:30 by PlayUltimate711
MotoX Champ, you have NO idea what a MOBA is. Overwatch is not a MOBA. The microtransactions are purely cosmetic, so that's not bad. The only thing you could MAYBE make an argument for would be that it's a kid's game, but I don't think there's any realistic argument for that either, except for maybe the characters and maps having generally colorful designs.
I AM PEKE?
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 03 December 16 at 01:48
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
I think Blood and Wine's win should say something about the size and depth of the DLC. It's a deliberate choice for it to have been voted by so many of those who cast ballots. They're telling the industry that Blood and Wine is exceptional and rewrites what we think of as "DLC". Let the definition be altered according to the content. Don't write off the content because of the definition. smile
I'm a huge fan of the Witcher series (I play the PC versions) and of the novels on which it is based. I think Witcher 3 was the best game of 2015 and I think Blood and Wine is exceptional. But Blood and Wine is not a game--it's DLC. You can't buy and play it in isolation. The fact that so many people cast irresponsible votes undermines the integrity of the awards and diminishes the value of the accolades of legitimate winners in other categories.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 03 December 16 at 02:18
Allgorhythm said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
I think Blood and Wine's win should say something about the size and depth of the DLC. It's a deliberate choice for it to have been voted by so many of those who cast ballots. They're telling the industry that Blood and Wine is exceptional and rewrites what we think of as "DLC". Let the definition be altered according to the content. Don't write off the content because of the definition. smile
I'm a huge fan of the Witcher series (I play the PC versions) and of the novels on which it is based. I think Witcher 3 was the best game of 2015 and I think Blood and Wine is exceptional. But Blood and Wine is not a game--it's DLC. You can't buy and play it in isolation. The fact that so many people cast irresponsible votes undermines the integrity of the awards and diminishes the value of the accolades of legitimate winners in other categories.
Have you seen the show? There's no integrity involved. The whole thing is like one big pre-order bonus.
Gabwe
Gabwe
Posted on 03 December 16 at 02:22
Overwatch winning GOTY must be a joke. Sure, it's a fun little game, I've played it for a few hours at a friend's, but it wasn't enough to make me want to buy it.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 03 December 16 at 02:59
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Have you seen the show? There's no integrity involved. The whole thing is like one big pre-order bonus.
Oh, in that case--if we're not supposed to take it seriously, I have no problem. If it's a circus, bring on the clowns. laugh
PlayUltimate711
Posted on 03 December 16 at 03:00
Allgorhythm said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Oh, in that case--if we're not supposed to take it seriously, I have no problem. If it's a circus, bring on the clowns. laugh
IT'S A CLOWN FIESTA, BRO!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM PEKE?
Xystra
Xystra
Posted on 03 December 16 at 03:50
{opinion}
Some of the category names and the nominations within them are a joke.
As just one example, based on the choices listed, the "Multiplayer" and "Action" categories should be combined into one and renamed "First/Third-Person Shooter". Then we can pick new non-FPS/TPS games for the action and multiplayer categories.
Honestly, I don't see why Overwatch was so richly awarded. I took one look at it and thought, "Oh. Another one of those. Pass!"
{/opinion}
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 03 December 16 at 04:12
Well you did only take one look at it. It's reasonably that you wouldn't know why it was so richly awarded!
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 03 December 16 at 04:39
laugh I knew this thread would be one Eurydace monitors closely. So much hate for Overwatch in here. I haven't played it and don't care to either, but by seemingly all accounts it masters every aspect of what it wants to be. Whatever genre or gameplay style we're talking about, a game that does that deserves to be awarded.
Wicked Jei
Wicked Jei
Posted on 03 December 16 at 04:46
Anyone wondering why Overwatch won hasn't been paying attention. It has a HUGE fandom.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 03 December 16 at 05:10
love overwatch. have a gold gun, played a hundred hours. And many more hours to come
t-t-t-today junior
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 03 December 16 at 05:24
xONLY INHUMANx said:
overwatch probably won because it was made by blizard. overwatch should be in a different group for game of the year. if the server's die out it will just be another dead game.
look at fallout 4 it won based on name alone. i played it about a month ago and it's full of bugs and it's not a good game.
just personally opinion so all you fallout 4 fan boys calm down
Okay, you love that shit lies of astoroth, so your opinion is clearly not valid.

Fallout 4 is one of the best current gen games. Period.

Lies of adtoroth is a joke, fyi.
Hahaman4real
Hahaman4real
Posted on 03 December 16 at 05:26
Blood and wine is not a dlc... Its an expansion pack
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 03 December 16 at 05:43, Edited on 03 December 16 at 05:50 by Allgorhythm
Hahaman4real said:
Blood and wine is not a dlc... Its an expansion pack
It's both. DLC can be any one of a number of types of downloadable content. It is game content provided by the publisher whose form of distribution is having players download it. It could be a character costume, additional episodes for Telltale games, extra missions, etc. In the case of Witcher 3, the various types of DLC include a beard & hairstyle set, suits of armor, and expansion packs like Blood & Wine. TA considers Blood and Wine to be DLC:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Dlc

I, myself, played the PC version of the game. Players can purchase the various PC version add-ons--hairstyle, armor, expansion packs, etc.--on Steam where they are specifically referred to as "Downloadable Content." In fact, one choice is to "Add all DLC to cart" with Blood and Wine being one of the DLCs listed.
matdan
matdan
Posted on 03 December 16 at 05:54
Overwatch GOTY? I fail to see how that was better then the other games listed, a multiplayer only game which will likely be dead in years to come against solid packages of single-player, multiplayer and co-op experiences.

It's curious that Titanfall 1 had only multiplayer and was slammed for it but when it has become a full package in Titanfall 2 it loses to a game that is essentially what Titanfall 1 was.

Even DOOM and Uncharted 4 were great games from what I hear, both complete packages as-well.
Anubseth
Anubseth
Posted on 03 December 16 at 07:30
I feel like many people are really against the idea of a multiplayer-only game winning rather than anything else.
I have Overwatch on PC and I find it boring and limited. If it survive for the next 3 years and double it's classes/heroes/champions then it can become something interesting. But for now I don't love it.

I found another comment here amusing, saying that SF is a classic series and so is not unexpected that SF V got the prize for best fighting game. I find this argument the worst. "It's a classic series, it should win". No it shouldn't (if it's a bad game, that is). They are analysing the games, not their history. It's not like the game has some excuse to be bad because the last 8 have been good.

The closing note for the article is perfect. The way the average player behaves now is showed in the votes. We have to do our best to support the industry we want to move forward.
Nosi90
Nosi90
Posted on 03 December 16 at 13:13
Overwacht? totally didn't enjoy that.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.