Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

The Game Awards Winners List

AuthorMessage

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 03 December 16 at 15:19
matdan said:
Overwatch GOTY? I fail to see how that was better then the other games listed, a multiplayer only game which will likely be dead in years to come against solid packages of single-player, multiplayer and co-op experiences.

It's curious that Titanfall 1 had only multiplayer and was slammed for it but when it has become a full package in Titanfall 2 it loses to a game that is essentially what Titanfall 1 was.

Even DOOM and Uncharted 4 were great games from what I hear, both complete packages as-well.
Dead in years to come?

You must be new to games like overwatch. They never did, and overwatch is the most played MP game, it'll never die
t-t-t-today junior
Evandalist
Evandalist
Posted on 03 December 16 at 18:06, Edited on 03 December 16 at 18:07 by Evandalist
SF V > Killer Instinct. It deserved the win even with the lower amount of content right now because, at its core, it's just a better fighting game for actual fighting game fans, whereas KI caters to casuals and doesn't offer much in way of a challenge.

KI is ridiculously shallow and repetitive. Shadow Lords was fun for about two playthroughs until you realize that it's the same missions over and over again. Every character outside of Aganos and Aria play the exact same way, plus combo assist makes it a game where mashers can easily compete with and beat more skilled players just by pounding buttons and knowing when to perform an ender. Most of the people I play online are such scrubs that they're easily dispatched by anybody with basic fighting game knowledge like footsies, anti-airs, neutrals, and tech'ing throws. I basically made it all the way to Killer rank solely on my footsies and neutral game. It was pathetic. I wanted to actually work for it but everybody I played sucked so bad it was like beating on the AI.

There's no real challenge to be had unless you play the AI on Godlike.

That's not to say that KI isn't fun - I have over 300 hours in the game and I still have plenty left to do achievement wise.

It's just nowhere near the balanced and technical offerings of SF5 where skill actually matters, the player base is experienced and thoughtful, and players need to have at least a basic understanding of their fundamentals before even daring to jump online.
Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
OfficerBarbrady
Posted on 03 December 16 at 18:49
The thing I'm most pissed about is mobile and handheld games being lumped together in one category and that Pokemon Sun/Moon wasn't even nominated while the unfinished corpse of a game that is Pokemon Go ended up winning.
S. A. W. F. T. SAWWWWWWFT
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 03 December 16 at 19:20
MotoX Champ88 said:
This is how you know TA members as a whole are clueless. Battlefield 1 lost to Doom for best sound... that invalidates this entire thing. I won't even bother wasting my time looking at games that were chosen based on their achievements and not their actual quality.

And overwatch is a kiddie game full of micro transactions... no more needs to be said. And it's not a shooter, it's a MOBA which is the cancer of game genres.

And since they nominated a DLC, where's The Crew's Calling All Units expansion (which TA didn't even make a news post about)? Where's Rise of Iron for Destiny? Both of those are better than what was nominated.
The irony in that statement is delicious, especially after the sentences that follow laugh
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
OfficerBarbrady
Posted on 03 December 16 at 19:26, Edited on 03 December 16 at 19:59 by OfficerBarbrady
MotoX Champ88 said:
I won't even bother wasting my time looking at games that were chosen based on their achievements and not their actual quality.
You realise TA had nothing to do with the VGAs, right?
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 03 December 16 at 19:51
Please fix your last post... it makes it look like I said that dumb stuff laugh
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
OfficerBarbrady
Posted on 03 December 16 at 19:59
Dammit, I dunno how that happened laugh
Sgt Malarkey Br
Posted on 03 December 16 at 20:25
BF and Division for me
Daelus1
Daelus1
Posted on 05 December 16 at 11:46, Edited on 05 December 16 at 11:47 by Daelus1
For me, 2016 was, by far, the worst year in the 5 I have been gaming, so I don't know what should have won out of the FPS listed (absolutely hated Inside), but that Overwatch didn't even win its genre certainly makes it interesting that it won GOTY.

I will say that Civ6 winning strategy is questionable...I love Civ games, but Banner Saga introduced something new and fresh and was, imo, vastly better than the re-skinned Civ6 (which is the only series/ game I play on a PC for).
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 05 December 16 at 14:30
I don't feel Civ 6 was reskinned at all. And Banner Saga isn't nearly as good.
Daelus1
Daelus1
Posted on 06 December 16 at 00:13
Eurydace said:
While I'll show you some deference as I found the jRPG article enjoyable, Civ6 is 100% a re-skin and while I can appreciate that some may prefer the more simplistic known quantity of Civ to a new style strategy game, to suggest BS isn't as "good" as a game that is, in essence, 15 years old, is laughable.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 06 December 16 at 03:46
Daelus1 said:
Eurydace said:
While I'll show you some deference as I found the jRPG article enjoyable, Civ6 is 100% a re-skin and while I can appreciate that some may prefer the more simplistic known quantity of Civ to a new style strategy game, to suggest BS isn't as "good" as a game that is, in essence, 15 years old, is laughable.
I feel like the multi-tile city setup drastically changes city management (one of the core features of the game). The religious victory is also new and religion in general is much more interactive. I'll give you that a lot of the parts are similar, but many of them are not and to some extent, why fix what's not broken?

Civ 6 is far from a perfect game and it needs at least one more expansion to become truly great. I don't think Civ 6 deserves the win, but neither does Banner Saga. XCOM 2 deserved the win.
Zorlac0666
Zorlac0666
Posted on 06 December 16 at 04:17
Daelus1 said:
Eurydace said:
It's definitely not a reskin. I've played both games, and there are significant differences in them.
Daelus1
Daelus1
Posted on 06 December 16 at 21:12
Eurydace said:
Daelus1 said:
Eurydace said:
I feel like the multi-tile city setup drastically changes city management (one of the core features of the game). The religious victory is also new and religion in general is much more interactive. I'll give you that a lot of the parts are similar, but many of them are not and to some extent, why fix what's not broken?

Civ 6 is far from a perfect game and it needs at least one more expansion to become truly great. I don't think Civ 6 deserves the win, but neither does Banner Saga. XCOM 2 deserved the win.
Completely agree that Civ6 was a great game, and I love the franchise which, for me, peaked on IV; therefore I acknowledge that I have no objective way to judge as I have been playing Civ, in one form or another, for many years. Banner Saga 1 & 2 added something to the genre that I feel deserved to be recognized. Xcom peaked with EU; both the atrocious decision to release EW as a brand new title and the decision to release 2 with as many bugs as it still contains were unforgiveable.
tellenbu
tellenbu
Posted on 11 December 16 at 14:01
I've always felt like the best Sports/Racing category is the unfortunate equivalent of the best musical or comedy category.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.