Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood Review

• punkyliarpunkyliar289,189
  • MuskarcinaMuskarcina69,908
    Posted on 04 December 16 at 21:34
    Going to my wishlist :)
    Xbox One
  • Posted on 05 December 16 at 07:59
    Thanks for reviewing! Enjoyed the first one so I'll be picking this up at some point for sure.
  • Daelus1Daelus11,032,288
    Posted on 05 December 16 at 11:25, Edited on 05 December 16 at 11:28 by Daelus1
    Played the Maple Creek one because, well 2016 sucks :P...I had never played the genre and the TA review hyped it.....I still wish I had that 4 hours back.

I continue to be mystified that TA's scoring system is not relative; I gave Maple Creek a chance, but it was ridiculously simplistic and made for a younger audience or very casual mobile players. I can't fathom a world in which this style point-and-click deserves a 4/5 rating....there are some amazing games that TA rates lower than 4...Recore, which is a fantastic indie or a subpar AAA, is leaps and bounds better than Maple Creek, yet TA gave it a 3/5...Far Cry Primal, which this Reviewer opined on, is one of the better games of 2016 and yet she gave it a 3.5/5....it is a vastly superior game to Maple Creek; not remotely close.......rating scale makes no sense and, to be honest, with respect to the fact the same Reviewer rated FC Primal lower, is offensive.
  • Posted on 05 December 16 at 17:01
    I will agree that the review scores here do baffle me at times. When I rate a title, I always round it to x/10 in my mind, then halve it, so that I can ask myself if it's really worthy of the equivalent of 7/10, 8/10 or whatever.
  • Posted on 05 December 16 at 19:43
    I think the numeric value assigned to reviews is the least important part. The content of the review should be viewed as more important compared to the "score", in my opinion. The only reason you should care about the number is if there is a rubric that corresponds to it. Otherwise, it is completely useless to the reader. There is clearly some ambiguity to these reviews, at least from the numeric perspective. Nevertheless, I always enjoy reading the reviewer's insight, especially on games I've never heard of. wave
    War...war never changes.
  • KBop a dooKBop a doo415,467
    Posted on 05 December 16 at 20:19, Edited on 05 December 16 at 20:27 by KBop a doo
    Daelus1 said:
    Played the Maple Creek one because, well 2016 sucks :P...I had never played the genre and the TA review hyped it.....I still wish I had that 4 hours back.

I continue to be mystified that TA's scoring system is not relative; I gave Maple Creek a chance, but it was ridiculously simplistic and made for a younger audience or very casual mobile players. I can't fathom a world in which this style point-and-click deserves a 4/5 rating....there are some amazing games that TA rates lower than 4...Recore, which is a fantastic indie or a subpar AAA, is leaps and bounds better than Maple Creek, yet TA gave it a 3/5...Far Cry Primal, which this Reviewer opined on, is one of the better games of 2016 and yet she gave it a 3.5/5....it is a vastly superior game to Maple Creek; not remotely close.......rating scale makes no sense and, to be honest, with respect to the fact the same Reviewer rated FC Primal lower, is offensive.
    I think comparing such vastly different games would be a serious mistake. How can one really say Far Cry Primal is "better" than a point-and-click like Enigmatis? Some people hate point-and-clicks and they're all going to be 0/5 for them, some people might hate the style of game that Far Cry is. It's all so subjective.

Also, every reviewer without fail cited ReCore as extremely buggy with massive load times at launch, so your experience playing it several months later in November after numerous patches addressing these issues is going to be a lot different than when the reviewer played it during its mess of a launch. Seeing as these were the major negatives cited in the review, it's fair to say that the score would have been different had these issues been fixed at launch, similar to how The Division is a completely different game now than it was at launch.

Edit: Didn't see the comment above me at the time of writing but yes basically that! Too many people hone in on the score as opposed to what made the reviewer arrive at that score.
  • KenH2k4KenH2k4594,225
    Posted on 05 December 16 at 20:49
    CpNx MaYxDaYx said:
    I think the numeric value assigned to reviews is the least important part. The content of the review should be viewed as more important compared to the "score", in my opinion. The only reason you should care about the number is if there is a rubric that corresponds to it. Otherwise, it is completely useless to the reader. There is clearly some ambiguity to these reviews, at least from the numeric perspective. Nevertheless, I always enjoy reading the reviewer's insight, especially on games I've never heard of. wave
    I like the scores because sometimes I just want to see how the game is received without influencing my opinion. I.E. If I hear a game is glitchy I'll be looking out for glitches. On the other hand, I want to make sure it's not awful.

This game is definitely on my radar. I hope they release a physical compilation with all their games at some point
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 05 December 16 at 21:20, Edited on 05 December 16 at 21:20 by
    Thanks for the great review - will def have to grab this one.. Good games for the FAM

Just got Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call on sale (if it was not for your article I would have ended up paying an extra $3-4) - gonna grab the 1st one too clap
    A simple bad habit will mar an otherwise flawless character, as a single ink drop soils the pure white page.
    Posted on 05 December 16 at 23:58
    KBop a doo said:
    I think comparing such vastly different games would be a serious mistake. How can one really say Far Cry Primal is "better" than a point-and-click like Enigmatis? Some people hate point-and-clicks and they're all going to be 0/5 for them, some people might hate the style of game that Far Cry is. It's all so subjective.
    No reasonable person would ever say a form of entertainment was not subjective, that is part of the very definition of entertainment. That said, it is ludicrous to suggest one cannot judge the merits of 2 games simply because they are different genres; Far Cry Primal is a vastly better game the Maple Creek....vastly....that one might "like" one genre over another would not change that fact. To point, if this "reviewer" didn't like the RPG genre, no one should have asked her to perform an official review of it.....ridiculous sentiment....and stating Maple Creek should be a more highly rated game than FC Primal is ridiculously insulting.
  • KBop a dooKBop a doo415,467
    Posted on 06 December 16 at 01:35, Edited on 06 December 16 at 01:37 by KBop a doo
    Daelus1 said:
    KBop a doo said:
    No reasonable person would ever say a form of entertainment was not subjective, that is part of the very definition of entertainment. That said, it is ludicrous to suggest one cannot judge the merits of 2 games simply because they are different genres; Far Cry Primal is a vastly better game the Maple Creek....vastly....that one might "like" one genre over another would not change that fact. To point, if this "reviewer" didn't like the RPG genre, no one should have asked her to perform an official review of it.....ridiculous sentiment....and stating Maple Creek should be a more highly rated game than FC Primal is ridiculously insulting.
    Well, as you agreed yourself, it's subjective. You're right that I shouldn't have brought genres into it, as someone who doesn't like a genre shouldn't be allowed to be the reigning opinion on it, but even so, "Stating Maple Creek should be a more highly rated game than FC Primal is ridiculously insulting"... to you. "Far Cry Primal is a vastly better game the Maple Creek"... to you. Even if they love both genres, this is your opinion that not everyone will agree with, much like you don't agree with the reviewer's opinion. I just don't understand your argument I guess, it seems like the site reviewers are not allowed to have their own opinions but you're allowed to have yours. It all boils down to basically, "They didn't share my opinions, so they're wrong." I also don't feel like one person's opinion of a game you loved should "offend" or "insult" you. Millions of people didn't like Far Cry Primal; millions did. What's one drop in the bucket? If everyone in the entire world loved or hated everything to the exact same extent, it'd be a pretty boring place.
    Posted on 06 December 16 at 21:01, Edited on 06 December 16 at 21:03 by Daelus1
    KBop a doo said:
    Well, as you agreed yourself, it's subjective. You're right that I shouldn't have brought genres into it, as someone who doesn't like a genre shouldn't be allowed to be the reigning opinion on it, but even so, "Stating Maple Creek should be a more highly rated game than FC Primal is ridiculously insulting"... to you. "Far Cry Primal is a vastly better game the Maple Creek"... to you. Even if they love both genres, this is your opinion that not everyone will agree with, much like you don't agree with the reviewer's opinion. I just don't understand your argument I guess, it seems like the site reviewers are not allowed to have their own opinions but you're allowed to have yours. It all boils down to basically, "They didn't share my opinions, so they're wrong." I also don't feel like one person's opinion of a game you loved should "offend" or "insult" you. Millions of people didn't like Far Cry Primal; millions did. What's one drop in the bucket? If everyone in the entire world loved or hated everything to the exact same extent, it'd be a pretty boring place.
    Fair enough, then let me elucidate. Firstly millions of people played FC Primal, in and of itself, that says something about the perceived quality of the game; while I don't have actual numbers, it would not be difficult to imagine Maple Creek sold "somewhat" less than that. We could lok at the differing budgets of the games....Primal would have cost tens of millions to make....Maple Creek likely a few thousand. Again, doesn't fully prove a quality gap, but speaks to it. Next let's move to the scope of the game...what did the devs try to do with their game....what was their vision? Maple Creek is a point-and-click game that is suitable for kids say between 6 - 12...it encompassed somewhere between 30-40 screens total that you would continue to revisit to do another item scramble...the entire process took less than 4 hours. FC Primal was a fully developed world with thousands of screens and a myriad of things to interact with...it was an advanced RPG with a fully fleshed out leveling system, combat system, reasonable amounts of lore and considerable social interaction...to mention merely a few of its features. One could easily lose themselves in the detailed world for 30-60 hours no problem.

Look FC Primal was not my favorite RPG (maybe this year), but to even suggest it is, in any objective way, an inferior game to Maple Creek is unjustifiable.

If Maple Creek's (or this game) review specifically stated that it was rated on a curve and for younger audiences I would have few qualms with that, but to simply state that, per the rating system, it was a more worthwhile game than FC Primal or Recore is absurd.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 December 16 at 15:45
    LoL - you people go too far to get your point across laugh *Gets Popcorn*clap
    A simple bad habit will mar an otherwise flawless character, as a single ink drop soils the pure white page.
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19772,102,324
    Posted on 07 December 16 at 16:25
    is that Hydro said:
    LoL - you people go too far to get your point across laugh *Gets Popcorn*clap
    What do you mean you people? *Rolls Up Sleeves*
    Legohead 1977
  • Posted on 08 December 16 at 13:36
    Sounds fun think I'll wait until the collected version comes out.
  • YoDzYoDz670,867
    Posted on 10 December 16 at 08:16
    when will people realize reviews are of the authors opinion and shouldnt be taken as anything more than that. tech n9ne is my favorite artist but i dont go around shitting on what people like and proclaim what they like is trash. and as for the far cry vs maple creek debate, both games are vastly different and what makes one good doesnt make the other worse. video games dont have to be HD action games all the time. and if your point of a game being bad is the fact its playable for 6-12 year olds then i ask you how you can call yourself a gamer...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads