Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Rock Band 4's Online Play is Coming Soon

AuthorMessage
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 12 December 16 at 14:45, Edited on 12 December 16 at 14:46 by Eurydace
That's not the way economics works. Just because you pay someone something doesn't mean someone else should give you something related for free.
Crandy
Crandy
Posted on 12 December 16 at 17:03
Eurydace said:
Chris1984uk said:
Continuously improving?! When you release half a game and drip feed the rest of it to us with announcements of free TUs I don't think you can class it as continuously improving lol.

"Oh look at us, we're giving you content that should have been there day one"
Things cost money. And it's not like you didn't know what you were buying. Only fair complaint is that online is now paid, but something has to pay for it. Harmonix is definitely not getting rich off this at the moment, so I don't think they deserve the venom.
My biggest issue with the launch was they neglected to clarify that eventually updates would be behind a paywall and the fact that there was only local multiplayer and no practice mode. These details may have been mentioned quietly somewhere, but I don't think I'm alone in thinking that "Rock Band as a platform" meant you pay for it once and continue to get updates through its life.

I feel like it was a reasonable assumption, considering that a better platform with a larger player base means more DLC sales for Harmonix.

Either way, Harmonix is dead to me.
-Randy Twoseventwoseven
halohogg
halohogg
Posted on 12 December 16 at 17:16
C'mon Harmonix - you can do it.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Posted on 12 December 16 at 17:23
Good thing this isn't /r/rockband. They will defend Harmonix until the day they die.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 12 December 16 at 17:44
Crandy said:
Eurydace said:
Chris1984uk said:
Continuously improving?! When you release half a game and drip feed the rest of it to us with announcements of free TUs I don't think you can class it as continuously improving lol.

Things cost money. And it's not like you didn't know what you were buying. Only fair complaint is that online is now paid, but something has to pay for it. Harmonix is definitely not getting rich off this at the moment, so I don't think they deserve the venom.
My biggest issue with the launch was they neglected to clarify that eventually updates would be behind a paywall and the fact that there was only local multiplayer and no practice mode. These details may have been mentioned quietly somewhere, but I don't think I'm alone in thinking that "Rock Band as a platform" meant you pay for it once and continue to get updates through its life.

I feel like it was a reasonable assumption, considering that a better platform with a larger player base means more DLC sales for Harmonix.

They always said free and paid DLC. They still are. Not all the updates require the DLC.

Rock Band 4 is basically an indie game. Adjust your expectations.
Crandy
Crandy
Posted on 12 December 16 at 17:46
Eurydace said:
Crandy said:
Eurydace said:
Chris1984uk said:

They always said free and paid DLC. They still are. Not all the updates require the DLC.

I set my expectations based on the price set by the developer. Harmonix chose to ask $60, as a result, I expect a quality product.
-Randy Twoseventwoseven
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 12 December 16 at 18:12
I agree, but post launch content is separate.
SquareHeadKillr
Posted on 12 December 16 at 20:19
Ho yeah ! Bought the band kit last month and im enjoying it. I just need to join a crew now. Who wants me in their crew (expert guitar) ?
guns vs kittens
Posted on 13 December 16 at 05:50
SquareHeadKillr said:
Ho yeah ! Bought the band kit last month and im enjoying it. I just need to join a crew now. Who wants me in their crew (expert guitar) ?
Search "Meeseeks and Destroy", could use one more.
...But why is the rum gone???
Chris1984uk
Chris1984uk
Posted on 13 December 16 at 15:49, Edited on 13 December 16 at 15:50 by Chris1984uk
Eurydace said:
Crandy said:
Eurydace said:
Chris1984uk said:

Asking customers to pay for a feature that has been in EVERY RB previously is not a good idea. Leaving out a feature that should have been in the released version is even more stupid.

I don't understand why people continue to support/defend a game that was blatantly rushed to try and compete with Guitar Hero Live with the thought process "Ah fuck it we'll add DLC to fix it later on down the line"

Harmonix really dropped the ball this time round
Chakaal Starr
Chakaal Starr
Posted on 13 December 16 at 17:45
Chris1984uk said:
Eurydace said:
Crandy said:
Eurydace said:
Chris1984uk said:

Asking customers to pay for a feature that has been in EVERY RB previously is not a good idea. Leaving out a feature that should have been in the released version is even more stupid.

I don't understand why people continue to support/defend a game that was blatantly rushed to try and compete with Guitar Hero Live with the thought process "Ah fuck it we'll add DLC to fix it later on down the line"

Harmonix really dropped the ball this time round
Perhaps they should have not allowed dlc to carry forward, forced you to buy new instruments, and removed drums completely(7 previous hero games had drums) so that they could have a form of online multiplayer right away. I just described Guitar Hero Live btw.

Rock Band 4 was announced and dated before Guitar Hero Live was announced. I don't think it was rushed to compete with guitar hero, if anything it was a rush to bring in money for a struggling independent studio. Fantasia, dance central, and amplitude didn't do very well on the new generation. Those rock band song dlc's were a big income for them and they had nothing on the new generation.

I think they also anticipated bringing forward songs to go a lot smoother than it did, pushing a lot of things back and it probably cost them a ton. Online multiplayer was just not as in demand as back compat on songs and instruments were.

I would have preferred not paying extra for online multiplayer, as it isn't a mode I am going to use a ton, but that is why they added other things in rivals as well like some new modes such as weekly challenges, and rockudrama, and threw in some songs so I will probably get more use out of it than some maps I bought for other games. Rivals is the Taken King, unfortunately, this won't be the last time a game comes out this generation that is weaker on release that a year later. At least they didn't release paid dlc before the game was released like Ark did.
D4VE BID0
D4VE BID0
Posted on 14 December 16 at 15:30
DoggyDog420 said:
the legacy adapter works like crap (my same guitars worked fine on 360 but miss or drop notes at least once a song),
Have you tried recently? The last few Xbox updates have increased the consoles stability. I've always had trouble with Xbox 1 controllers but the 360 controllers going through the legacy adapter are far better.

DoggyDog420 said:
and way too much of a pain in the ass to get all my songs back. Most the time the game store doesn't work and you have to go search for songs on the Xbox store.
On the dashboard press the menu/start button while hovering over the RB4 icon and select "Manage Game". Then go down to "Ready to Install" and install all your DLC. It should all be there except for the songs that are no longer for sale which Microsoft are working on next.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.