Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Assassin's Creed Games

• NokkonWudNokkonWud635,069
    Posted on 22 December 16 at 13:54
    I personally think Assassin's Creed III (3) is by far and away the best of the series. I absolutely loved it.
    http://www.twitter.com/NokkonWud
  • Posted on 22 December 16 at 14:09, Edited on 22 December 16 at 14:13 by togethawiistand
    AC 2 was good, I even read the book before playing it, but perhaps it's being a bit overrated?

AC 1 was something else to me. To walk the streets of Jerusalem; the fact that the hero was a stuck up prick and had to be humbled before ascending in the ranks again; the betrayal and fact that the leader of the assassins was (WTF!) a templar; the dialogues scenes in the blue abstract background during the major assassinations... If you forget the fact that there were crappy achievements in that game you can rate it close to 5 outta 5, specially considering the year it came out, etc, etc.

In short: Ezio was alright, a nice guy. Altair was something else.

Speaking about AC in general, I think that the story got a bit too confusing. Too many artifacts to be found and not a whole lot of sense. It's still a good series though, that like Halo and Mass Effect explores the idea of a legacy left by previous advanced civilizations.

I enjoyed Black Flag as a regular game and not because it was a AC piece, like someone here also noticed. I see some narrative problems there, perhaps for trying to stick to the book, so I think that the ascention and downfall of the pirates could have been better told.
    To do or not to do. THAT is the question.
  • HARVEBURDMANHARVEBURDMAN764,820
    Posted on 22 December 16 at 14:22
    more of an AC2, revelations, AC1, brotherhood, syndicate kind of guy...
    GheeButt3rSnaps
  • HARVEBURDMANHARVEBURDMAN764,820
    Posted on 22 December 16 at 14:22
    never dug in to AC3-4 as much as the other
    GheeButt3rSnaps
  • napoearthnapoearth786,755
    Posted on 22 December 16 at 14:47
    1. II
    2. Syndicate
    3. IV
    4. Revelations
    5. Unity

Honorable mentions to Chronicles: China and Pirates, both different but fun.
    "Nice heft" - Frank West
  • Rista BRista B630,027
    Posted on 22 December 16 at 14:48
    AC II
    AC Black Flag
    AC 3
    AC Unity
    AC

Haven't played Rogue or Syndicate yet
    Remember Philando Castile, a fellow gamer, a human being, Rest in Peace
  • Inferno9209Inferno9209708,386
    Posted on 22 December 16 at 14:54, Edited on 22 December 16 at 14:55 by Inferno9209
    My list would be:

1. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
    2. Assassin's Creed 2
    3. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
    4. Assassin's Creed Revelations
    5. Assassin's Creed Rogue
  • B3CKERB3CKER413,945
    Posted on 22 December 16 at 14:58
    I've really enjoy every single AC title I've played.
    A lot of you claim to have hated AC after brotherhood - did you all seriously keep buying the games just to bitch? Yawn to your comments. I feel sorry for so many of you.

Give me a new AC every year.
    Follow me on Instagram: @jar3d_b
  • Posted on 22 December 16 at 15:36
    Assassin's Creed II
    Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    Assassin's Creed
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    Assassin's Creed III
    Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Have not played Unity, Syndicate or Rogue yet. I want to play Unity at some point, then will probably play Syndicate. Only way I would play Rogue at this point was if it became BC.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCom3yzbUaMRPgeHVhLlPvjw (My Youtube Channel)
  • Posted on 22 December 16 at 15:38, Edited on 22 December 16 at 15:39 by I8ITackyticsI8I
    Bears Scare Me said:
    So am I bad at math or are there only 8 total games and 7 are listed here? Couldn't this article have just been AC3 sucks the rest are good?
    The games are as follows (and I'm only including those Xbox/with achievements without duplication):
    AC1
    AC Altair Chronicles
    AC2
    AC Brotherhood
    AC Revelations
    AC Liberation
    AC3
    AC4
    AC Pirates
    AC Rogue
    AC Unity
    AC Liberation
    AC Chronicles China
    AC Chronicles Russia
    AC Chronicles India
    AC Syndicate

So much much more than 7.

I was going to complain about the list but everyone has their favourites. It's an interesting list for sure.
    Mine is incredibly controversial.
    1) AC3
    2) AC Unity
    3) AC Brotherhood
    4) AC Rogue
    5) AC 2

It's worth bearing in mind I haven't played Syndicate yet, nor Pirates or the Chronicles titles..
  • Posted on 22 December 16 at 16:20
    AC pirates is an interesting mobile game but gets very repetitive after about 30 min.

I thought that Rogue would have been in Black flags place. I found that Rogue was a much more polished game and found the story more interesting as well.
  • zoidberg1339zoidberg1339493,698
    Posted on 22 December 16 at 18:09
    Of the ones I've played I've had more fun with ACIV: Black Flag than any other, but if two games had to be put before it I'm glad it was ACII and Brotherhood. I do agree with putting II before Bro-hood as well.

Rogue is the one I'm still the most excited to play, I just want it to go BC first as I'm not buying 360 games that aren't anymore.
  • Posted on 22 December 16 at 18:59
    This list is correct.

Good job!clap
  • GerbasgamerGerbasgamer1,762,714
    Posted on 22 December 16 at 19:00
    1 - AC II
    2 - AC IV
    3 - AC Brotherhood
    4 - AC Rogue
    5 - AC III
    6 - AC
    7 - AC III Liberation
    8 - AC Revelations
    9 - AC Unity

Only a few hours into Syndicate, so can't judge it at this time.
    Not going to include AC Chronicles or the mobile games.

Unity is just completely broken gameplay-wise. If the camera wouldn't suck so much during battles, if the animations wouldn't take so fucking long to execute, so you could actually hit your target first, if the game world wouldn't be so buggy, so that you or an enemy doesn't get stuck in objects (which leads to animations not getting executed at all...), the game would be a lot higher on the list.
    The first half is fun, the second half, where you actually need to fight properly since the enemies are harder, falls completely apart due to the issues mentioned above.
    And don't get me started on that Tournament co-op mission :D
  • Posted on 22 December 16 at 19:52
    am i the only one who's removed several points from syndicate for its complete lack of singing chimneysweeps?
    I see little green men.... mostly on traffic lights
  • Posted on 22 December 16 at 20:01
    AC:Brotherhood was my favorite.
    -AC1 should not be on the list. Yes it started it all, but the repetitive side missions should drop it from the list.
    -The horrid tower defense missions from Revelations is probably why that did not make the cut.
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,397,726
    Posted on 22 December 16 at 20:33
    OldSchoolBlood said:
    AC:Brotherhood was my favorite.
    -AC1 should not be on the list. Yes it started it all, but the repetitive side missions should drop it from the list.
    -The horrid tower defense missions from Revelations is probably why that did not make the cut.
    AC1 should be on the list for the same reasons Mass Effect 1 is my favorite of that series. There's just something about how it was designed that overcomes the obviously flaws. For me, anyway.
  • LilGurgiLilGurgi268,425
    Posted on 22 December 16 at 23:05
    Rogue is the one "main storyline" AC game I haven't played. I'm hoping for it to go BC at some point as my 360 has stopped recognizing disks so I have to either play digital or hope for BC. At this point, kind of hoping it goes GWG as I've heard a lot of good things about that game.
  • misfit119misfit1191,041,751
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 00:49
    Fristi61 said:
    Whether or not a character with that kind of cultural mindset works well as a video game protagonist is clearly up for debate, but I thought they did the best they could. I liked him, at least, but I understand those who don't.
    I think this is basically the biggest problem. It doesn't translate into video games at all IMO. If this were a movie you'd be able to see the small body language indicators to give you an idea of how he's feeling. If this were a book you'd get inner monologue and thoughts. A character like that in a video game just comes off as flat and emotionless by and large.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • rob25Xrob25X677,749
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 01:11
    James12183 said:
    rob25X said:
    Completed AC II on 360 & PS3 and was very unimpressed with it. Played III to the point of hunting animals in a forest and couldn't stand anymore of it. Played Revelations too, all the games are the same, just copy and paste jobs.

Not a fan of AC at all.
    "Copy and paste" . That is pretty much every game ever created you know. Lol.
    No it isn't, it's just the accepted norm for modern popular game series like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Forza etc. The same games repackaged every 12 months just to rake in money with very little creativity behind them (and that's not including the constant stream of stupidly overpriced DLC).
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.