Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Assassin's Creed Games

• Posted on 23 December 16 at 05:38
    I still can't really understand why so many people like Rogue as much as they do. The writing was just so damn lazy, and Shay was a prat through and through. If it hadn't been for Unity being such a piece of crap, then I don't think anyone would like Rogue nearly as much. But to each their own, I guess.
    There is no "I" in "team." There also isn't a "u," a "we," an "us," or a "them," so who's playing?
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,396,813
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 06:58
    aGundamDownHere said:
    I still can't really understand why so many people like Rogue as much as they do. The writing was just so damn lazy, and Shay was a prat through and through. If it hadn't been for Unity being such a piece of crap, then I don't think anyone would like Rogue nearly as much. But to each their own, I guess.
    Gameplay was smooth and flawless, and exploration was fun, both on land and at sea. Shay was annoying but I enjoyed the contribution to the AC canon generally. I played Rogue before Unity and Rogue was and is my #1 AC game.

To be honest, the writing throughout AC has been lazy. AC2/B were good but the rest were B- work in high school writing class, at best. The supernatural meta story is dogshit, laughably bad. Strength of the series is the historical grounding and a nice variant of open world sandboxing.
  • Ereaser NLEreaser NL419,409
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 12:22
    1. AC2
    2. AC1
    3. AC:R
    4: AC:B
    5: AC3
    6: AC:Unity

I've yet to play Rogue and Syndicate.

Reason why I like AC3 more is because I simply had more fun with it. Unity's story was bad and the whole setting didn't interest me what so ever
  • TheCharityGamerTheCharityGamer1,030,057
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 12:58
    What about assassin creed 3? laugh

That game was so good! roll
    Founder of the BGLC
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant740,882
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 13:04
    v CARRNAGE said:
    What about assassin creed 3? laugh

That game was so good! roll
    Agree with me or I cry! cry
    No longer waiting for sigs to stop deleting.
  • Posted on 23 December 16 at 13:37, Edited on 23 December 16 at 13:40 by PainfulLegacy
    Only played and finished AC2 and played Black Flag for about an hour. They are all equally repetitive and boring! You do the same thing over and over in every AC game....
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 15:16
    PainfulLegacy said:
    Only played and finished AC2 and played Black Flag for about an hour. They are all equally repetitive and boring! You do the same thing over and over in every AC game....
    How on earth can you come to that logic after playing just one game fully and another for an hour? Your reasons are illogical. Your experience is not enough.
  • Posted on 23 December 16 at 15:27
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    PainfulLegacy said:
    How on earth can you come to that logic after playing just one game fully and another for an hour? Your reasons are illogical. Your experience is not enough.
    I thought that at first too but in the YouTube and Twitch era that's not necessarily true.
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 15:36
    N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    PainfulLegacy said:
    I thought that at first too but in the YouTube and Twitch era that's not necessarily true.
    Videos only show so much, play it for yourself. You can't connect to a game as much when all you do is watch a video.
  • misfit119misfit1191,040,380
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 15:45
    You don't need to "connect" with the gameplay. I've never played a game and thought "Boy this sure was boring and repetitive. But now, after the third game of doing the same thing for 20 hours, I feel like my life has been enhanced."
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • Posted on 23 December 16 at 17:39
    PainfulLegacy said:
    The problem with this argument is that you can oversimplify literally any game to make it.PainfulLegacy, probably said:
    Call of Duty is so boring, all you do is run and shoot!

Forza is so boring, all you do is drive forward and avoid obstacles!

Assassins Creed is so boring, all you do is hide and stab people!

Borderlands is so boring, all you do is kill things and pick up loot!
    My opinions are often unpopular and acerbic.
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,396,813
  • JamesGames83JamesGames83509,844
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 18:42
    neeker75 said:
    I actually dislike Brotherhood. It was the one that started with the "full synchronisation" nonsense. Why should anyone tell me how to approach a mission in a sandbox game? Isn't a sandbox game supposed to encourage freedom of choices? Instead, I've to ensure that I kill the target in a certain method, complete crypts in x number of minutes (when I actually wanted to roam around them to find flags, for example), etc
    oh c'mon..

you can approach any mission anyway you want. it's just, here's how your ancestor did it. anyway, you're kind of railing against the entire mentality of achievement hunting. sure play the game however you want, but you want the achievement, you gotta do it this way.
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 19:46
    WEBHEAD 7 said:
    oh c'mon..

you can approach any mission anyway you want. it's just, here's how your ancestor did it. anyway, you're kind of railing against the entire mentality of achievement hunting. sure play the game however you want, but you want the achievement, you gotta do it this way.
    Actually, I've found that the constraints tend to impact casual gamer's just as much, if not mores o, than achievement hunters. They will tend to try and complete the mission as the constraints order. While they are willing to accept not getting full synch I've seen a lot of people get very mad at trying to do what the game is telling them and failing at it. It's usually complaints like: "They gave me a cool gun and now want me to kill this guy by climbing to the highest point, avoiding lots of enemies and then perform a double air assassination on him and his best friend who only move near each other every few minutes? Why give me the cool toys then?!"
  • NanNan258,616
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 20:13
    1. II
    2. Brotherhood
    3. Black Flag
    4. Syndicate
    5. Liberation
    6. Unity
    7. Original AC
    8. Rogue
    9. III
  • NanNan258,616
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 20:16
    aGundamDownHere said:
    Exactly. It also is still the worst experience I've had in an AC game. A bad version of IV and just Ubisoft trying to cash in one more time on the last gen before they moved on. Rogue is only beaten by III in worst of the series.
  • JamesGames83JamesGames83509,844
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 20:46
    misfit119 said:
    WEBHEAD 7 said:
    oh c'mon..

Actually, I've found that the constraints tend to impact casual gamer's just as much, if not mores o, than achievement hunters. They will tend to try and complete the mission as the constraints order. While they are willing to accept not getting full synch I've seen a lot of people get very mad at trying to do what the game is telling them and failing at it. It's usually complaints like: "They gave me a cool gun and now want me to kill this guy by climbing to the highest point, avoiding lots of enemies and then perform a double air assassination on him and his best friend who only move near each other every few minutes? Why give me the cool toys then?!"
    Fair enough. I can't imagine very many casual gamers would care less really. None of my friends who game casually care. If they're not hunting achievements, they're more than likely just playing through for the story, single attempt at every mission. If they have any kind of hard-wiring like we do, when it comes to constraints placed on them in games, then they probably are one of us.. lol. but fair enough.

I loved Brotherhood. It's one of my favorites of the series.

I also loved III. The setting, story, gameplay and characters were all great in my books. Personally thought Conner was a badass. So he's a stoic kind of guy. I don't need every one of these assassins to be wise-cracking fun-boys like every one else seems to require these killers to be since Ezio. (not everyone, but many people..)
  • JoeySJ95JoeySJ95369,319
    Posted on 23 December 16 at 22:50
    My top 5 were the same just replacing AC1 with AC Rogue. And maybe a different ordering. Black Flag deserved to be higher.
    Joey
    Posted on 24 December 16 at 07:30
    WEBHEAD 7 said:
    Fair enough. I can't imagine very many casual gamers would care less really. None of my friends who game casually care. If they're not hunting achievements, they're more than likely just playing through for the story, single attempt at every mission. If they have any kind of hard-wiring like we do, when it comes to constraints placed on them in games, then they probably are one of us.. lol. but fair enough.
    It's less to do with them being hardwired like we are and taking the suggestions as instructions. Like me and you see an instruction saying counter-kill 10 guards and think "Okay, if I want full synch I have to do that." Some of the casuals I know ended up thinking "Okay so I HAVE to play the mission that way to play it correctly." Then when they ended up making a mistake, since casuals, they thought that they'd screwed up but the game was letting them continue. It's a weird way to "suggest" how to play a section really.

WEBHEAD 7 said:
    I loved Brotherhood. It's one of my favorites of the series.
    I actually do as well. I thought that it was a pretty great game despite some of the really stupid constraints.
  • CODYWWE24CODYWWE2491,690
    Posted on 24 December 16 at 14:30
    My fave AC game would be Syndicate follow by Brotherhood and II.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.