Final Fantasy XV Walkthrough Discussion

AuthorMessage
IronInfidel47
IronInfidel47
Posted on 28 March 19 at 23:35
Algur said:
SweetArkhane said:
Algur said:
FYI, you should change your controller config to #3, I think it is. It's the configuration that has dodge on the left trigger and counter/attack on the right trigger. It makes combat way easier.
Because you find the combat difficult^^ ?
That's a fairly combative response for a simple suggestion. Perhaps I should have said intuitive. Switching the layout improves the flow of combat. You're less likely to miss the counterattack prompt in this layout and it improves your post combat scores. I went from getting consistent Ds on finesse ratings to Bs. It's a huge improvement to gameplay.
Mind telling me how Finesse works? I can't figure it out from what I've played of Ch1.
Algur
Algur
Posted on 28 March 19 at 23:49
IronInfidel47 said:
Algur said:
SweetArkhane said:
Algur said:
FYI, you should change your controller config to #3, I think it is. It's the configuration that has dodge on the left trigger and counter/attack on the right trigger. It makes combat way easier.
Because you find the combat difficult^^ ?
That's a fairly combative response for a simple suggestion. Perhaps I should have said intuitive. Switching the layout improves the flow of combat. You're less likely to miss the counterattack prompt in this layout and it improves your post combat scores. I went from getting consistent Ds on finesse ratings to Bs. It's a huge improvement to gameplay.
Mind telling me how Finesse works? I can't figure it out from what I've played of Ch1.
I'm only on Chapter 3 or 4 so I don't have a whole game's worth of experience, but from what I've seen your finesse score is based on performing combat in accordance with Square Enix's design for the combat. Simply holding down B/RT almost always leads to a poor finesse score. You should be focusing on dodging, countering and throwing in a warp strike here and there. You should also make use of the companion skill links when available. The config change I mentioned earlier makes it easier to hit that counterattack prompt when it pops up in combat. I found that I missed the prompt a lot on config #1. One of my friends who has completed the game advised me to switch the config for the reasons outlined above and I found combat much more enjoyable after making the switch. Also, it's much easier to get used to the new configuration if you start using it in the early chapters rather than the latter chapters and, if you like the configuration, you should also mention it in your walkthrough. Readers always love good advice.
SweetArkhane
SweetArkhane
Posted on 29 March 19 at 00:02
Do we need good scores for achievements? I don't remember, all I can say is, yes, you better not continuously press B and just wait, one thing I learned from Comrades is the "step back strike", you press B, you wait one second till your character does a step back and then you press B without releasing the button until it makes a good strike, also make good use of the four attacks available (based on each direction).
IronInfidel47
IronInfidel47
Posted on 29 March 19 at 00:15
(Responding to Algur here as well)

SweetArkhane said:
Do we need good scores for achievements? I don't remember, all I can say is, yes, you better not continuously press B and just wait, one thing I learned from Comrades is the "step back strike", you press B, you wait one second till your character does a step back and then you press B without releasing the button until it makes a good strike, also make good use of the four attacks available (based on each direction).
I don't think scores are necessary and I don't think I'll need to mention them that much or at all, since they're kind of straight-forward for the most part; I just asked what Finesse was out of curiosity. I managed to adopt to the default controls during the last days of the Comrades DLC, but I'll make note of the control styles in the General Hints & Tips page though.
Algur
Algur
Posted on 29 March 19 at 03:53
IronInfidel47 said:

SweetArkhane said:
Do we need good scores for achievements? I don't remember, all I can say is, yes, you better not continuously press B and just wait, one thing I learned from Comrades is the {#}step back strike{#}, you press B, you wait one second till your character does a step back and then you press B without releasing the button until it makes a good strike, also make good use of the four attacks available (based on each direction).
I don't think scores are necessary and I don't think I'll need to mention them that much or at all, since they're kind of straight-forward for the most part; I just asked what Finesse was out of curiosity. I managed to adopt to the default controls during the last days of the Comrades DLC, but I'll make note of the control styles in the General Hints & Tips page though.
High scores are not necessary for any achievements. However, they affect xp earned IIRC.
SoupaBuoy
SoupaBuoy
Posted on 29 March 19 at 08:11
Algur said:
IronInfidel47 said:

SweetArkhane said:
High scores are not necessary for any achievements. However, they affect xp earned IIRC.
This is true - and the bonuses can be pretty significant on hunts, particularly if you then go and rest at somewhere with a high EXP multiplier.
IronInfidel47
IronInfidel47
Posted on 21 April 19 at 06:33, Edited on 21 April 19 at 10:29 by IronInfidel47
Well, it took 23 in-game hours, but I've managed to finish Chapter 1 and everything you can do from within that chunk of the game. Here's this link again so you can see how it's turned out for yourself. I'm sorry for taking so long to only have done this and the unlisted DLC; classes have gotten the busiest they've ever been and I've come down with a strong cold, but I'm going to have far more time to work on this during the summer anyway.

No idea how long any of the chapters are compared to the next, but I aim to complete AT LEAST one chapter a month from this point on and do not intend on taking as long as a year from now to finish the walkthrough.

https://www.trueachievements.com/walkthrough/walkthroughprev...

EDIT: Just finished Chapter 2 the same night. Really quick since there wasn't a lot of new stuff to add to Leide.
IronInfidel47
IronInfidel47
Posted on 14 June 19 at 01:57
I THINK I'm closing in on all of the Chapter 3 side stuff. Having nearly the entire map open all at once is what's making this take so long.
IronInfidel47
IronInfidel47
Posted on 16 June 19 at 07:58
Chapter 3 is now complete. I hope the long gap between the completion of 2 and 3 is understandable once you see how long the Chapter 3 page is - a wide majority of the open world content is opened at that point, so I had to track it all down. The rest of the chapters should go much faster now that the bulk of that stuff is out of the way.

Since I went through everything myself, I'm now at Lv85, which is probably absurd for Chapter 3. Just thought I'd share that as a fun fact or something.
Se7enn Sins
Se7enn Sins
Posted on 16 June 19 at 16:25
Not sure if it’s possible but are we able to use what’s already completed on the walkthrough or do we wait til it’s completly done. Also great work man keep it up. Take the time you need to perfect it
Emond24
IronInfidel47
IronInfidel47
Posted on 16 June 19 at 17:51
Se7enn Sins said:
Not sure if it’s possible but are we able to use what’s already completed on the walkthrough or do we wait til it’s completly done. Also great work man keep it up. Take the time you need to perfect it
https://www.trueachievements.com/walkthrough/walkthroughprev...

Yup, go ahead and check what's here with this link.
IronInfidel47
IronInfidel47
Posted on 05 July 19 at 02:33
Sorry for the delay since the last update, I was grinding AP to see how it was to have all of the ascension perks at the start of Chapter 4. Feels pretty great to not have to think about it anymore.

Chapter 5 is now complete. I've now got to balance two summer classes at once on top of walkthrough stuff so things might not be lightning quick as I had hoped, but if I can do two chapters in one day then I think things should still be going by.
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 09 July 19 at 09:17
Keep it up man, I love what you're doing with the FF games.
"I gotta be honest, entering a bunch of 25 character codes to have gear spit out of the magic box kinda sucks" - Rista B
IronInfidel47
IronInfidel47
Posted on 11 July 19 at 03:00
x Mataeus x said:
Keep it up man, I love what you're doing with the FF games.
Thanks; so far I've only done FF7 and this and I'm pretty sure other authors are covering the other re-releases for TA, but rest assured I'll be fighting hard to grab FF7R if it ends up being released on the One. After all, it's FF7 with the FF15 engine and combat style, a mix of both of these games.

Chapter 6&7 are up now. I'm going to try to do all of the side stuff for Chapter 8, then start/finish Episode Gladiolus before finishing Chapter 8's story info.
IronInfidel47
IronInfidel47
Posted on 13 July 19 at 00:24
There's a lot more side quest stuff in Chapter 8 than I expected, but I'm slowly working on it throughout this and next week. I want to be done with at least Chapter 10 (a low goal) by the end of the month. Gonna go over some other stuff below.

Episode Gladiolus is completed. I expect to write Episode Ignis/Prompto when they take place chronologically in the story, and Episode Ardyn after everything else is complete.

The Title Update 1.13 or 1.3 or whatever is done. It will not have its own page because its content is functionally part of the base game, and the two achievements for it are positioned in places that work normally.

The Royal Pack info will be spread across the chapters where its content is made apparent, like the road race things being available starting in Chapter 8, but it'll be summarized up again on its own page. I am aware that the Royal Pack "fixed" some of the story in Chapter 14 or so, but I'm not sure if I should include the pack-less story for the walkthrough (especially because I wouldn't know what it is unless I looked for it). Any opinions on this?

I think I'm going to try to post an update in here again once Chapter 10 is done, since that's when most of the side content will finally be dealt with (I think). The preview link I've posted a few times in here will show you how the walkthrough's looking as of now and whenever I add more to it.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.