Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Two New Videos for Valkyria Revolution

• Posted on 02 January 17 at 04:57
    ^ I agree, but I think it was when Western RPGS became a thing and the media wanted a way to separate the two. I've played these games since the NES days, and never used the term until the PS2 was out.

Either way, there is a huge disconnect with Microsoft and Japan so this is a huge win for me.
  • Exia Of WarExia Of War116,707
    Posted on 02 January 17 at 08:35, Edited on 02 January 17 at 08:44 by Exia Of War
    Wasn't too big of a fan of the first Valkyria Chronicles, the story was great but I wasn't much a fan of the gameplay; you had a huge diversity of classes but it felt like, especially in the later levels, you had to finish the level a certain way.

However this definitely looks like a fresh take, and the combat looks to be different, so looking forward to.. the eventual localisation.

I wouldn't call it a sequel either, it's like saying Halo Wars is the sequel to Halo CE. Valkyria II, while on a handheld, was the successor to the original, in both story and name.
  • misfit119misfit1191,179,104
    Posted on 02 January 17 at 15:06
    Blue n Gold Eel said:
    Can someone tell me when RPG's from Japan started being called JRPG's?

Because when i grew up playing games on the Sega Master System/Megadrive they were always called RPG's, for me it's stupid.
    Back when I was gaming on the Nintendo and SNES it was always just "RPG's" for me as well. But my PC Master Race associates were always quick to point out that something like Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy was very different from the RPG's they got on PC which were mostly western RPGs, like Ultima and eventually Elder Scrolls. So I'm assuming it grew out of that.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads