Game Discussion: Wasteland 2: Director's Cut (2016) (Windows)

Game saves being deleted/lost

• TerrinTerrin3,203,927
    Posted on 30 June 19 at 07:18
    Tully123 said:
    https://imgur.com/U9JyGKn

"Hi there, we're aware of the issue and are currently working on updating the game. We don't have a set ETA, but are endeavoring to get this build live ASAP. "

inXile Entertainment

Maybe after all this time it could get fixed?
    honestly it wouldn't surprise me. pc game pass has brought a lot of visibility to these games.
    superhot just sent a message out saying they will update there game as well
  • LV 1 Blue SlimeLV 1 Blue Slime1,346,496
    Posted on 12 July 19 at 02:24, Edited on 12 July 19 at 02:24 by LV 1 Blue Slime
    Saw this was on game pass and thought I'd finally pick it up. I can look past the unobtainable...I have enough on this GT already that my GT is borked in that regard, but the save issue is quite a deal breaker. It's been a long time since I've played the console version but I don't remember it being very quick...
    "Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
  • Posted on 12 July 19 at 12:32, Edited on 12 July 19 at 12:32 by Za Pantsupati
    "FYI - we're working on an update now, though I don't have an ETA on it. The build is in Microsoft's hands, and there's some extra stuff they have to put in place so it functions properly with their systems. "

Seems like it should be sooner than later to get updated, though that was posted on 06/27 so it's already been two weeks.

The guide here on TA estimates 70-80 hours. The guide I wrote for XBA I put 50-60 so I'm not sure where the variance comes from. I also wrote a very basic walkthrough in tandem with my achievement guide. https://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6692...
  • OldMateClownOldMateClown974,050
    Posted on 12 July 19 at 16:05
    I probably based the time on how long I spent on the game. Though some of that time may have just been from typing while I played making things take a bit longer.
  • Posted on 12 July 19 at 17:42
    That could be. I generally do all my guide writing at work and only fire up the game if I can't remember something and have to check the game itself, so my times tend to be on the lower side and assume the player will also do nothing extra. I'm also a bit OCD and research a ton about a game before I play if possible to minimize anything extraneous.

Like FFX/X-2 I kept seeing 100+ guaranteed on both and I beat X in like 84 and will be done with X-2 in about 65.
    Posted on 12 July 19 at 21:35, Edited on 12 July 19 at 21:36 by LV 1 Blue Slime
    X depends a lot on the monster hunting probably...when I originally did it on PS2 I had to spend dozens of hours getting the tonberries in Yojimbo's cave. I've been dreading doing it again...

As long as this gets patched eventually I'm fine, I've got all the Kemco RPGs to go through before I'll touch other PC games, probably. Just hope my laptop can run it headspin
    "Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
  • Viks021Viks0213,954
    Posted on 14 July 19 at 15:50
    Hi all,
    for two days I have tried to play this game through Xbox game pass and faced the same issue like all of you. Anyway I got really stubborn regarding this and I think I have found solution. Tested a bit, SAVED GAMES REMAINED OK. Please try it at your own risk. The following bullets works for me. I play through Xbox GamesPass, using Surface Pro 6, Win10Ent.

1. How to change game resolution: native resolution of my surface was overkill for integrated Intel graphics (IntelUHD620). I have lowered my desktop resolution to 1440x900 (to keep aspect ratio) and game automatically took desktop resolution, running smooth on decent graphic setting.

2. How to add custom portraits: C:\Users\your user account\AppData\Local\Packages\181CBCCD.Wasteland2DirectorsCut_9y3t8zad226mc\LocalState\Custom Portraits
    Now I'm not sure what will be the name of the Wasteland2SiretorsCut folder on other machines but you will recognize the proper destination.

3. Saved Games Fix: this is a bit more complicated.
    - Open Windows Explorer, click on View tab and make sure that Hidden items is checked (you need to be able to see hidden files)
    - Now go to C:\Program Files\ find hidden WindowsApps folder, right click on it and click Properties
    - Go to Security tab and click to Advanced button
    - In the windows that opens you will see the following: Owner: unable to display current owner. (shield) Change - click on Change (you need to have Admin rights)
    - On the next windows you will again see: Owner: TrustedInstaller Change - click to Change
    - The next windows will open. In the white field enter your user name and click Check Names to be sure that you have typed it correctly and that it will be recognized. Click OK.
    - On the previous windows you will now see that your user account is recognized as the owner. Click checkbox left of the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and click OK.
    - After a couple of second operation will complete and you are now able to open C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder and check its content
    - On my comp first in the list is 181CBCCD.Wasteland2DirectorsCut_1.6.0.0_x64__9y3t8zad226mc. This is Wasteland 2 installation directory. Enter this folder, select all its content (CTRL+A), right click -> Properties -> uncheck "Read only" box -> Apply -> OK. If you receive question that some items cannot be changed, click on Ignore.

- Now do the same for C:\Users\your user account\AppData\Local\Packages\181CBCCD.Wasteland2DirectorsCut_9y3t8zad226mc
    - Select all (CTRL+A) -> right click -> Properties -> uncheck "Read only" box -> Apply -> OK

Restart and (hopefully) enjoy.

I have tried multiple restarts, enter/exit game, start from Xbox or by desktop shortcut - worked each time. Let me know if it works for you and if this fix is solved problem.

Kind regards and may your canteens always be full :)

Vik
  • Posted on 15 July 19 at 12:49
    LV 1 Blue Slime said:
    As long as this gets patched eventually I'm fine, I've got all the Kemco RPGs to go through before I'll touch other PC games, probably. Just hope my laptop can run it headspin
    Not sure if it's another issue the game has, or my laptop is just weak, but with a controller unfortunately the game stuttered horribly. When I switched to just using the laptop controls, it was fine.
  • ZeklingZekling394,791
    Posted on 15 July 19 at 13:40
    Started playing this yesterday and had the same save issues everyone has mentioned. I was saving alot. Got to a part with a low chance of success so I saved and attempted. Failed. No biggie, I'll just load my save!
    Load it..... and it brings me to the main menu and only has "New Game" as a choice. WTF? So I close and reopen. Huzzah! I can load a save!.... except it's my save from hours previous.

I'll try Viks save fix and hopefully that works. Otherwise I won't be playing this on PC :(
  • Posted on 16 July 19 at 16:58
    Their latest update on the support thread from today:

"We poked Microsoft about it for an ETA. Not sure yet. Will update if/when I hear something."
  • Tully123Tully123735,631
    Posted on 23 July 19 at 03:26, Edited on 23 July 19 at 03:26 by Tully123
    The store page for the game now states:

"Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut is being temporarily removed from the Windows Store while we work to resolve several progression-blocking issues. If you’re not experiencing them you’ll be able to continue to play directly from the installation directory on your hard drive. Please be aware however that when a new fixed version becomes available it will require a full reinstall, and any past save games will no longer work.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding."

Progress.
  • Swinny CostelloSwinny Costello1,032,459
    Posted on 23 July 19 at 10:56
    Awesome! It only took them being purchased by Microsoft to have it happen laugh
  • ArkzeinArkzein432,616
    Posted on 24 July 19 at 05:44
    Great! This may finally make its way back onto my list then.
  • Posted on 16 August 19 at 00:02
    Well, they fucked up the re-release. They put up a brand new version without achievements instead of overwriting the old one which had achievements and linking the functional release to the existing achievement list.

Here is what I posted on their support thread:
    ------------------------
    Hi. So I see there is a new version of the game on the store:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/wasteland-2-directors-cut/...

However, there is one huge issue with this: the new version has no achievement support. Do you know why this was the solution? Now I have the old version which was unplayable sitting on my Gamertag at 60/1000 Gamerscore, and it's been completely removed for play. The old version can still be viewed here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/wasteland-2-directors-cut/...

Can you please talk to the team and find a way to merge the two versions so that the new version which is supposedly functional (have not tried yet) is linked to the achievement list from the old version so we can complete the game?

Thank you.
    Posted on 16 August 19 at 00:15
    Of course, a dumbass solution to a problem they created. Neat.
  • FinnanFinnan1,103,588
    Posted on 09 September 19 at 04:42
    I am currently installing games from both links above, "Wasteland 2: Director's Cut" and "Wasteland 2: Director's Cut for Windows 10". Are these both different versions of the game then? Is the one that was delisted now live again?
  • Posted on 09 September 19 at 13:10, Edited on 09 September 19 at 13:27 by Za Pantsupati
    Finnan said:
    I am currently installing games from both links above, "Wasteland 2: Director's Cut" and "Wasteland 2: Director's Cut for Windows 10". Are these both different versions of the game then? Is the one that was delisted now live again?
    "Wasteland 2: Director's Cut" should be the version with achievements that was delisted. I believe you can always install it if you owned it, but it is not for sale anymore.

"Wasteland 2: Director's Cut for Windows 10" is the new version attached to Xbox Game Pass for PC and for sale on the marketplace, but DOES NOT have achievements attached.

I would be very interested to know what version numbers show up when you install the two versions. If they put the new, fixed version in both locations then at least those of us who owned the old version can complete it. But it would then be delisted and unavailable for anyone else. Unless they somehow granted both versions when purchasing the new one like Ori and the Blind Forest did.
  • FinnanFinnan1,103,588
    Posted on 10 September 19 at 01:39
    I booted up "Wasteland 2: Director's Cut" just now, and it's now on my tag with 0/1000 GS.

I was able to download both versions for free with Game Pass using the links in the post above, and never purchased or played any version of this game before. The version number I have for this game is 1.6.0.0, no idea what the newest version is that would be the fixed version. For comparison, my version number for "Wasteland 2: Director's Cut for Windows 10" is 1.0.0.0. Can anyone else confirm if this is now playable again?
  • Posted on 10 September 19 at 11:09, Edited on 10 September 19 at 11:18 by Za Pantsupati
    I tested myself a bit this morning. I don't think they updated the old version. It crashes at startup most attempts, the quality just looks worse compared to the new version when it does load, and I couldn't even delete or load the one save it did still have from 2017.

I would encourage everyone to (politely) post in the support thread on inxile's forums. They have still not responded to me since the change.

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&a...
  • FinnanFinnan1,103,588
    Posted on 10 September 19 at 14:42
    @Za Pantsupati: were you able to check if you had the same version as me, or if they were different? Prior to loading up i assume, or you might have had an update in the background without noticing?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.