Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Games With Gold Games for 2016

AuthorMessage
I8ITackyticsI8I
Posted on 01 January 17 at 01:05
I agree with the above re. Uncompletable games with golds. You can't moan at MX vs ATV Reflex but allow these to be in the top 5.

Xcom enemy within
Forza horizon

Both great games but now not completable. It's just bad on Microsoft's part to allow this practice.

I agree wholeheartedly that sunset overdrive is the best GwG. It's my favourite game on the Xbox one period.
Fanta Morgana
Fanta Morgana
Posted on 01 January 17 at 01:18
Bar6arian said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Sunset really is awesome. I didn't expect to like it much at all and I ended up loving it. Seems the DLC never goes on sale, sadly.
Enjoyed it so much myself and the DLC does go on sale. I got it with GWG and bought the DLC for $20 and a week later it was 50% off, go figure. O well I would have paid full price for everything for what I got out of it.
Quite a few GWG had the DLC on sale a week or two after or still while the free period was going for example Bad Company 2, Dishonored, Grid 2, Crysis 3. It is really not uncommon.
I would suggest you should always wait at least 2 more DwG weeks after the free period is over before buying the DLC full price
Sketchy77
Sketchy77
Posted on 01 January 17 at 02:15
Super Time Force was my favourite GWG title this year. It's one of those games I'd have never bought but thoroughly enjoyed it when getting it for free.
Achievement Unlocked ~ Read My Signature 0G
JohnnieMonkey
JohnnieMonkey
Posted on 01 January 17 at 02:15
VoodooTrumpet said:
I guess I'm the only person who didn't enjoy Sunset Overdrive then. I enjoyed the humor but the gameplay just left me cold.
We're definitely a minority, but you're not alone.

I hated it. Thought the gameplay was clunky and the style and gameworld were more annoying than fun. I don't think I played it for more than a couple of hours.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 01 January 17 at 03:14
Sketchy77 said:
Super Time Force was my favourite GWG title this year. It's one of those games I'd have never bought but thoroughly enjoyed it when getting it for free.
2015!
StanleyCup CAPS
Posted on 01 January 17 at 03:42
My favorites were:

Borderlands
Deus Ex
Styx
Defense Grid 2
The Wolf Among Us
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 01 January 17 at 04:05
Good article. It really shows that Games with Gold are, for the most part, solid gold.
KenH2k4
KenH2k4
Posted on 01 January 17 at 04:12
good Super man said:
Wasn't Goat Simulator free on Xbox One and not 360?
They did a 10 hour trial on the One, but gave it away on 360, but it wasn't GWG. I was able to finish it within the 10 hours but Flappy Goat stressed me out with the time limit. Then they gave it away like a month later
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 01 January 17 at 05:18
JohnnieMonkey said:
VoodooTrumpet said:
I guess I'm the only person who didn't enjoy Sunset Overdrive then. I enjoyed the humor but the gameplay just left me cold.
We're definitely a minority, but you're not alone.

I hated it. Thought the gameplay was clunky and the style and gameworld were more annoying than fun. I don't think I played it for more than a couple of hours.
No, you guys aren't alone. I love the game but I know a bunch of people who hate it. The gameplay is objectively amazing but it is very, VERY hit or miss with people. You'll either love it or find it aggravating as all hell. For example my fiancee loves third person shooters but loathes SO. It's also got humor that some will find more stupid than funny. So they're out there! Just not really in this thread.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 01 January 17 at 05:18
I had already done Sunset before it was free, by only a couple of months I think too, but it is definitely a must-play game.

Don't care for Forza and XCOM because of mentioned achievement issues.

Just did Saints Row 4, quite enjoyed it but not sure I'd have put it in my top 5.

Outlast is way too recent to have bubbled at the top of my GWG backlog laugh
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
Mannschaft570
Mannschaft570
Posted on 01 January 17 at 08:42, Edited on 01 January 17 at 08:43 by Mannschaft570
Interesting article. As far as the 360 is concerned it's hard to deny that Microsoft did a very good job on Games with Gold last year, with the exception of MX vs ATV Reflex of course. Hopefully this year will be great too!
bennjjee
bennjjee
Posted on 01 January 17 at 09:07
Great article and fantastic to see Sunset Overdrive at the top of the list. A true classic I may have missed had it not been for GWG.
DeadlyName007
Posted on 01 January 17 at 09:32
Games with Gold program for 2016 is one of the best years, hopefully they can keep it like this in 2017, but it won't be, in my opinion, because Microsoft have the top sales, which means they won't try anymore, and we will see Sony offering better than Microsoft. I hope I am wrong to this thinking.
Kennyannydenny
Posted on 01 January 17 at 10:12
Hahaha Goat Simulator on the Xbox 360 was never Games with Gold, that was the Xbox One edition laugh

Thief on the Xbox One was also still available in 2016 as GwG (yes it started being so in 2015),
flip407
flip407
Posted on 01 January 17 at 12:06
Tumblestone was a personal favourite of mine.
flip407
ArkhmInmate0801
ArkhmInmate0801
Posted on 01 January 17 at 12:33
Good article!

I swear, sometimes it feels like GWG is just trying to troll completionists.
Nekro Neko
Nekro Neko
Posted on 01 January 17 at 13:25
blueracer442 said:
KierenGriff said:
FrozenFireStone said:
Flappy Goat best minigame.
Urggghhhh....that was commitment
The biggest thing I noticed with that is make sure that the delay on your TV is minimal. My TV has a minor but noticeable delay which messed me up. I did it on my brothers and in less then an hour I was getting over 10 easily.
I keep hearing people saying this was difficult, but I got it on my third attempt.
www.cyberscore.me.uk
Redd Five
Redd Five
Posted on 01 January 17 at 13:56
For everyone who complains about GwG every month, the to 30 or so games on that list are all very good!

When you see the year laid out like that, one could have a nice collection without ever purchasing a game!
JuIIIian
JuIIIian
Posted on 01 January 17 at 14:09
I Agree with this list, Although i never played XCOM, I'll take your word for it. But I couldn't Agree more with SUNSET OVERDRIVE BEING #1 IT TOTALLY DESERVES IT. Easily one of my personal 5 favorite games of all time. I praying for a sequel. #WinterOverdrive
JuIIIian
CODYWWE24
CODYWWE24
Posted on 01 January 17 at 14:43
My top 5 are....
5. Super Mega Baseball Extra Innings
4. WWE 2K16
3. Assassin's Creed Chronicles China
2. Sunset Overdrive
1. Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.