Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Games With Gold Games for 2016

AuthorMessage

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 01 January 17 at 15:25
I actually enjoyed Zheros. Once it was patched it was a solid game. Not overly tough..a game that doesn't need a story. Had couch co-op which is quite rare . Most of the low marks were from people who played it straight away . If you took the more recent average I think it would be vastly different!
Too many Irons in the fire !
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 01 January 17 at 15:26
This article should be linked in every GWG announcement.
Redd Five
Redd Five
Posted on 01 January 17 at 15:28
After the patch, Zheros was playable, but it was still 18 or 20 too-long levels of exactly the same thing. There's a re-skin halfway through, but it's still the same thing!
K1NG StyleZ
K1NG StyleZ
Posted on 01 January 17 at 15:49
Forza & Borderlands clap
AnthroMetal
AnthroMetal
Posted on 01 January 17 at 16:47
Twas a good year overall.
Kyl3Ruth
Kyl3Ruth
Posted on 01 January 17 at 18:16
My top 5:
5. Sunset Overdrive
4. The Wolf Among Us
3. Gears of War 2
2. Outlast
1. Dead Space

It was hard to pick between Dead Space and Outlast, but clearly you can see what genre I prefer.
zr122
zr122
Posted on 01 January 17 at 18:39
Beyond Good and Evil is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad game.

Horrible camera controls, bad voice acting, and a story that doesn't actually have an ending and just kind of pulls something random out of it's butt.

Everything else on the list is fine, though.
The SCHWARTZ 00
Posted on 01 January 17 at 19:32
Psparky27 said:
I actually enjoyed Zheros. Once it was patched it was a solid game. Not overly tough..a game that doesn't need a story. Had couch co-op which is quite rare . Most of the low marks were from people who played it straight away . If you took the more recent average I think it would be vastly different!
Agreed. I played it post-patch. It was not nearly as bad as they make it sound. It's a brainless, old school side scrolling beat-em-up. My only complaint is that it's damn near impossible to beat on Hard difficulty. I mean, I've beaten my fair share of Hard/Insane campaigns, but Zheros is merciless. I got to like the 6th stage and just quit. Way too brutal.
ChadMarc
ChadMarc
Posted on 01 January 17 at 19:40
DeadlyName007 said:
Games with Gold program for 2016 is one of the best years, hopefully they can keep it like this in 2017, but it won't be, in my opinion, because Microsoft have the top sales, which means they won't try anymore, and we will see Sony offering better than Microsoft. I hope I am wrong to this thinking.
Microsoft will never give up trying, regardless of how well their sales are going. They've had one hell of a job turning things around the last 3 years and i cant see them doing anything that would risk falling any further behind Sony.
matdan
matdan
Posted on 02 January 17 at 01:50
Wasn't the best year in terms of GWG for me, already owned most of the decent games.

Yet to try Crimes and Punishment, The Crew, Dead Space, Deus Ex Human Revolution and Super Mega Baseball. Which all seem decent.
RicKuRuKuS
RicKuRuKuS
Posted on 02 January 17 at 05:00
Beyond good and evil HD seriously?!?!? That game was horrendous, controls were a disaster, could barely get myself to unlock the first achievement on jt because of the UHH tourney... it's the biggest turd on the list but dungeon bros does give it a run for its money
Drachen77
Drachen77
Posted on 02 January 17 at 05:21
Sunset Overdrive is just an incredible game. An absolute shame that it didn't do better as it is a quintessential Xbox game. Elements of Crackdown, humor, fast pace, and so on. If it is in your backlog, it really should be played.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 02 January 17 at 10:27
I had already said the Crew but I had forgotten about Murdered: Soul suspect, really hoping for a sequel. Happy new Year all
Eric From Cali
Posted on 03 January 17 at 06:16
I feel like I'm the only one who doesnt like sunset overdrive. Doesnt take much skill, and I HATE games with auto-aim. Sleeping Dogs, the Crew, Borderlands, Murdered Soul Suspect, all better games in my opinion
Twitter: EricDC
Kuningatar V
Kuningatar V
Posted on 03 January 17 at 10:47
Its ok to put shitty game on GWG but I really hate when they put games with unattainable achievements!
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 04 January 17 at 14:03
matdan said:
Wasn't the best year in terms of GWG for me, already owned most of the decent games.

Yet to try Crimes and Punishment, The Crew, Dead Space, Deus Ex Human Revolution and Super Mega Baseball. Which all seem decent.
Deus Ex: HR IMHO is more than decent--it is one of the truly exceptional games on the 360.
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 04 January 17 at 16:46
Except for the boss fights. That was dumb.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
TheCharityGamer
Posted on 04 January 17 at 19:11
flappygoat was de best!!
Founder of the BGLC
Grimace221
Grimace221
Posted on 05 January 17 at 15:24, Edited on 05 January 17 at 15:27 by Grimace221
Personally I think MS does a pretty good job overall of bringing games to us for free, and most are rather good games. Sure, some are busts like Zheroes, but for everyone one of those, we get a Beyond Good and Evil, or Sunset. And hey, sometimes we get some free easy GS from an #idarb or Knight Squad. The problem I see a lot, is you have people complaining about it not always being a AAA title, then when they give us a AAA title, everyone complains about MS giving us a game that everyone has.

Can't have it both ways. MS isn't going to give us brand new release AAA titles that you may not have yet. That doesn't make good business sense no matter how entitled you feel for buying gold, or adopting X1 at launch, or whatever. Devs and MS would go bankrupt if they gave us all free games at launch. The occasional indie title free at launch is all you will get. So deal with the fact that if they give us a AAA title for free, it will probably be a few years old. Doesn't make it a bad game though.

There were more than a few games that were GWG this year, that I never bought because I didn't think I would enjoy them, but after getting them for free, I gave them a shot, and was very surprised. Sunset Overdrive for example, did not think I would like it at all, I was so wrong. The game was fun, and hillarious to play. Over the top, breaking the 4th wall over and over, I loved it.

GWG is not supposed to be a personal game library, that costs 15.99 a month, and it is called Gamefly, if you are ungrateful because a GWG title is one you already have, then consider yourself fortunate. If you think the title sucks, or looks like garbage, give it a shot, you may be surprised.

Overall I say good job MS.
Quickdontdie
Quickdontdie
Posted on 05 January 17 at 20:55
Mirror's Edge wasn't digital!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.