Community News

News for and about the community. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

The TrueAchievements Game of the Year 2016

• Posted on 05 January 17 at 02:00
    I only came for the butthurt. But, seriously, Doom was the best shooter in 2016.
  • LifeExpectancyLifeExpectancy1,640,352
    Posted on 05 January 17 at 03:04
    Havent quite gotten to bliz mtn yet but FH3 really is an amazing game. Sets the bar for the genre.
  • matdanmatdan796,012
    Posted on 05 January 17 at 03:16
    Gears 4 shooter of the year? Instead of DOOM, Battlefield 1, PvZGW 2 and Titanfall 2? Which all were infinitely better then that game.

At least they all showed significant improvements to their respective series unlike Gears 4. Which features a mediocre story (For a series filled with them that is saying something), a worse version of horde and new enemies that are really not that interesting.

That sounds familiar, *cough* Halo 5 *cough*. Guess at least Halo 5 has added tonnes of new free content and some old to the game, while continuing to update and patch the game. Something Gears always failed at.
  • Posted on 05 January 17 at 03:27
    matdan said:
    Gears 4 shooter of the year? Instead of DOOM, Battlefield 1, PvZGW 2 and Titanfall 2? Which all were infinitely better then that game.

At least they all showed significant improvements to their respective series unlike Gears 4. Which features a mediocre story (For a series filled with them that is saying something), a worse version of horde and new enemies that are really not that interesting.

That sounds familiar, *cough* Halo 5 *cough*. Guess at least Halo 5 has added tonnes of new free content and some old to the game, while continuing to update and patch the game. Something Gears always failed at.
    Battlefield 1 improved absolutely nothing.
  • Posted on 05 January 17 at 03:36
    Our Afflictions said:
    matdan said:

If anything it got worse. The guns of WW1 are awful, which is really making the game irritating and a chore. At least Gears of 4 is sticking to a formula that works.

Actually aside from Doom, all the games he listed are worse than the originals.
  • Posted on 05 January 17 at 04:02
    Cemetery Girls said:
    Our Afflictions said:
    matdan said:

If anything it got worse. The guns of WW1 are awful, which is really making the game irritating and a chore. At least Gears of 4 is sticking to a formula that works.

Actually aside from Doom, all the games he listed are worse than the originals.
    Agreed. Story isn't interesting either. I feel the war story approach was lazy.

I haven't played anything else he listed so I didn't comment on them.
  • Posted on 05 January 17 at 05:07
    Didn't like forza horizon 1 or 2, doubt 3 would change my opinion. A racing game as GOTY... nope
    Banana Big Boys
  • Posted on 05 January 17 at 08:08
    I love that runner up in the most original achievement category was the 4th iteration of an achievement, not that original...
  • Johnny Fl3xJohnny Fl3x706,840
    Posted on 05 January 17 at 10:51
    Don Santino said:
    Over 300 hours and full completion in gears 4 and in my opinion it doesn't deserve second place for goty. I would have gone with forza for goty then the batman telltale series because it was fantastic.

After what the coalition did to destroy my trust in them as a consumer and all the greed with the packs, gameplay issues they refuse to acknowledge or fix etc. Gears 4 coming second is ridiculous. Coming from a former 10 year loyal fan of the franchise.
    This post makes me laugh. Seems like you absolutely hated the game but yet you sunk 300 hours of your life into it.
  • LifeExpectancyLifeExpectancy1,640,352
    Posted on 05 January 17 at 12:54
    Poopdog M60Riot said:
    Didn't like forza horizon 1 or 2, doubt 3 would change my opinion. A racing game as GOTY... nope
    I hardly every played racing games before FH2. And FH3 topped it. It deserves it 100%.
  • Posted on 05 January 17 at 14:28
    Jamiereloaded23 said:
    Seriously 4.0 as most original achievement??? That aside there are some great games on there, I'm pleased to see that Overwatch didn't win a single award as to me it is seriously overrated.
    So true! I thought the same thing...
    What is original? Hmm... the 4th Entry in a Ridiculous Series!
  • Daelus1Daelus1720,339
    Posted on 06 January 17 at 02:09, Edited on 06 January 17 at 11:09 by Daelus1
    LifeExpectancy said:
    The word he chose to use falls into the misogynist category when used as a derogatory means to fling insults. I know perfectly well what I was referring to, and his post fit the bill in my book.

If someone calls a white guy the N word, it's still a racist use of the word when used in a derogatory manner, despite the fact that the target of the insult is white.

Same concept here. This isn't exactly a rated-G site so the occasional 4 letter word in a post is one thing, but taking it to that level shouldnt EVER be tolerated.

Also, I edited out his language because it crosses a line. If you genuinely think the word 'shit' crosses a line when it isn't a verbal attack but rather an appropriate reference to his behavior, then I guess more power to you. If you simply edited it out to be clever, it didn't have that effect.
    Not attempting to be clever at all, merely annoyed when dumb people choose to moralize to others using words and now concepts that they very clearly do not grasp. Let me help with your edification (and please don't try to use the word yourself).

While his comment was likely in jest, it could easily be interpreted as derogatory by the ever-so-sensitive souls such as yourself. That said, to assert it was misogyny means that your mind automatically assumed he was comparing other gamers to anatomical part of a woman. That is a very narrow-minded interpretation of that phrase and one I would suggest is incorrect and shows the mind of an ignorant yet self-righteous bigot. The word he used has several connotations, the word you used has one, yet you feel your use, although objectively demeaning, was appropriate yet his, which is subjectively demeaning, was not.....my friend, that is the definition of a bigot....well also of a hypocrite, but I digress....take your little PC opinions and go troll somewhere else.
  • Julz D 01Julz D 01539,464
    Posted on 06 January 17 at 06:27
    Emotional REX said:
    Jamiereloaded23 said:
    Seriously 4.0 as most original achievement??? That aside there are some great games on there, I'm pleased to see that Overwatch didn't win a single award as to me it is seriously overrated.
    So true! I thought the same thing...
    What is original? Hmm... the 4th Entry in a Ridiculous Series!
    There is no way that award wasn't an intentional joke right....?
  • Whiskey7Whiskey7395,941
    Posted on 06 January 17 at 13:12
    What a weak year for gaming.
    Thou shalt not make repetitive generic music, Thou shalt not make repetitive generic music, Thou sha
  • Posted on 07 January 17 at 20:18
    I am surprised Gwent (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt) didn't get a mention,considering they are creating a game around it.
    goosepickle360
  • HARVEBURDMANHARVEBURDMAN762,618
    Posted on 09 January 17 at 15:38
    nice...still haven't touched a lot of these
    GheeButt3rSnaps
  • DiegoTanDiegoTan311,882
    Posted on 12 January 17 at 14:16
    I respect your choices, but to me almost all of these awards are a bit of a joke.
    Yatta!
  • Posted on 05 August 21 at 17:54
    Poopdog M60Riot said:
    Forza horizon 3 currently has one of the highest ratings on site (4.7) so I think this is just a 'you' problem
    daringDK2006
  • ShinnizleShinnizle1,330,859
    Posted on 05 August 21 at 17:56
    daringDK2006 said:
    Poopdog M60Riot said:
    Forza horizon 3 currently has one of the highest ratings on site (4.7) so I think this is just a 'you' problem
    Holy necro batman
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.