Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

[UPDATE] 'Tis the Season to be Delisted: More Xbox Games Removed from the Store

• Posted on 06 January 17 at 18:10
    EddieM1974 said:
    For what it's worth Krinkle Krusher can't be bought anymore as well. It still shows on the marketplace but only as 'Not available '.
    Dam I actually wanted to buy this.
    Licking an electrical outlet will not turn you into a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger.
  • dirtysock47dirtysock47422,692
    Posted on 06 January 17 at 18:53, Edited on 06 January 17 at 18:55 by dirtysock47
    Nothing that I truly wanted, but I may pick up GRiD and Dirt 3 DLC soon (I probably won't try to pay full price however). The digital-only games look to be subpar as well, so I'm not truly stressing.
  • C0LOURMEGREYC0LOURMEGREY521,540
    Posted on 06 January 17 at 19:16
    ChewieOnIce said:
    C0LOURMEGREY said:
    punkyliar said:
    I've added these and Fast & Furious. Thanks for the information!
    Fast & furious is not Games on Demand only, You can buy it on disk
    From the OP: "Of course, all of the games on the list below were also released on disc. If you missed out on these and still want to play them, you'll need to find a disc copy going forward. "
    The article has been edited, it specifically said that fast & furious was GOD only, Hence my post
  • MC PHILABUSTAMC PHILABUSTA1,686,965
    Posted on 06 January 17 at 19:37
    Sucks was waiting for battle LA to go on sale :(:(
  • HermitXBHermitXB139,428
    Posted on 06 January 17 at 19:53
    EddieM1974 said:
    For what it's worth Krinkle Krusher can't be bought anymore as well. It still shows on the marketplace but only as 'Not available '.
    Jeez, what is this, mass delistings at the start of 2017 ?

This is ridiculous. What is the point in a digital store if games are going to get delisted ?
  • QuickdontdieQuickdontdie1,822,089
    Posted on 06 January 17 at 20:25
    TurtleHermit0 said:
    EddieM1974 said:
    Jeez, what is this, mass delistings at the start of 2017 ?

This is ridiculous. What is the point in a digital store if games are going to get delisted ?
    I'm fairly sure the Wipeout games, at least, were delisted at the start of December.
  • AlcaJoeAlcaJoe385,270
    Posted on 06 January 17 at 20:43, Edited on 06 January 17 at 20:44 by AlcaJoe
    One main reason why it's stupid to buy digital games on xbox... after so many years it's still no real alternative. sadly
  • Posted on 06 January 17 at 22:02
    I bought tmnt: turtles in manhattan digitally. Which achievements are online? I need to get those right away...

Activision, fuck you... Never buying an Activision game ever again!!
  • Posted on 06 January 17 at 22:11, Edited on 06 January 17 at 22:12 by DeadlyName007
    Ostrowidzki1989 said:
    I bought tmnt: turtles in manhattan digitally. Which achievements are online? I need to get those right away...

Activision, fuck you... Never buying an Activision game ever again!!
    How does the delisting affects you? You will buy an Activision game some day for sure.
  • Posted on 06 January 17 at 22:21
    I am guessing since a few other Spider-Man titles have been delisted on Steam and the PSN, that Activisions rights to the web-slinger are finally gone.

No more Spidey for the Xbox for a loooong time...cry
    Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
  • Posted on 06 January 17 at 22:26
    a Fi1thy Casual said:
    I am guessing since a few other Spider-Man titles have been delisted on Steam and the PSN, that Activisions rights to the web-slinger are finally gone.

I don't think so as Spiderman Dimensions and Ultimate Alliance games are up at least for now!
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,721,567
    Posted on 06 January 17 at 22:28
    a Fi1thy Casual said:

Or, maybe, future rights will go to a non-shit developer. Always a chance we get a new Rocksteady. (I know it won't happen, but wouldn't a Spider-Man game in the model of the Arkham series be pretty sweet?)
  • Posted on 06 January 17 at 22:31
    DeadlyName007 said:
    a Fi1thy Casual said:

I don't think so as Spiderman Dimensions and Ultimate Alliance games are up at least for now!
    MUA and MUA2 are an exception due to the fact that Spider-Man is considered a supporting character.

Other than that, Spider-Man titles will be Sony exclusive for the unforeseen future.
  • matdanmatdan837,182
    Posted on 06 January 17 at 22:34
    punkyliar said:
    halohogg said:
    Our Afflictions said:
    Would be nice if they gave us some kind of warning... unless I missed one.
    Can TA help us with a central Forum Post to identify impending delisting of games, and while you're at it, impending Game Server shutdowns?
    If we get advanced notice of delistings, we report it in a separate article. However, those occasions are incredibly rare, hence why you get articles like this one instead where we tell you about them after the fact.

As for the central hub about server closures and whatever advanced notice of delistings we do have, that sounds like an idea for the Site Wishlist Forum, although you may want to check whether somebody else has submitted the idea first.
    Or use:
    Watchlist for Potential Discontinued Achievements

Shutdowns are fairly rare, same as delistings. I do note in the thread when relistings or delistings occur when they effect online achievements. The thread focuses on giving advanced notice of shutdowns i.e. WWE, NBA 2K, PES, Forza and so forth.

There is no way unfortunately to accurately work out what will be delisted but anything with a licence Wipeout, TMNT, Battle LA, Marvel, DC, Porsche and so forth can be delisted if the licence is not renewed. Most companies have currently zero problems with this like EA while others like Turn 10 and Playground Games have a habit of delisting and shutting down services.
  • Posted on 06 January 17 at 22:39, Edited on 06 January 17 at 22:42 by DeadlyName007
    a Fi1thy Casual said:
    DeadlyName007 said:
    a Fi1thy Casual said:

MUA and MUA2 are an exception due to the fact that Spider-Man is considered a supporting character.

Other than that, Spider-Man titles will be Sony exclusive for the unforeseen future.
    I don't think Sony's deals have to do anything to do with the deals have been already closed between Marvel and Activision! It's just that the licenses were ending on 2016, or maybe it isn't Activision's fault and Marvel playing games with us, who knows behind closed doors, we may see them back, same as Deadpool.
  • Posted on 06 January 17 at 22:39, Edited on 06 January 17 at 22:42 by a Fi1thy Casual
    The Globalizer said:
    a Fi1thy Casual said:

Or, maybe, future rights will go to a non-shit developer publisher. Always a chance we get a new Rocksteady. (I know it won't happen, but wouldn't a Spider-Man game in the model of the Arkham series be pretty sweet?)
    Had to fix that - Beenox actually made two really good games. The movie tie-ins were garbage, but SD and EoT were a breath of fresh air for the web-slinger (IMO).

That being said, since Sony now holds the video game rights even if they go to someone like Rocksteady, it will not change the fact that their exclusivity will stand...which sucks balls....
  • Posted on 06 January 17 at 22:49
    a Fi1thy Casual said:
    DeadlyName007 said:
    a Fi1thy Casual said:

The same Spider-Man games have been delisted from PSN as well. Curious on where you got your "supporting character" information...the rights to a character cover it in all circumstances....
  • Iceman2pnt0Iceman2pnt0349,182
    Posted on 06 January 17 at 23:16
    a Fi1thy Casual said:
    That's not necessarily true, unless I missed some announcement. I know that the Spidey game being developed by Insomniac is PS4 exclusive, but that doesn't mean that there couldnt be a multiplat game coming after that.
    Finally gaming on the One. Next on the list...better TV.
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,721,567
    Posted on 06 January 17 at 23:18
    ThreeHaddock62 said:
    The same Spider-Man games have been delisted from PSN as well. Curious on where you got your "supporting character" information...the rights to a character cover it in all circumstances....
    Strictly speaking, the rights to use a character are as agreed upon between the licensor and licensee, under whatever conditions and for whatever duration established in the licensing agreement. There's nothing preventing Marvel from licensing Spider-Man to one or multiple companies non-exclusively, or semi-exclusively, exclusively, or whatever. The rights can be revocable or irrevocable, and so on, and on, and on.

Delisting a game may mean that they don't have the right to sell the game anymore due to a license expiration for an IP within the game. Or it could mean nothing at all from a licensing perspective. Also, in theory, a company could continue to have the right to sell a game within the licensed material in it, even after the license to create new games/content expires.

tl;dr: None of us know who holds what rights to anything. We can only guess.
  • misfit119misfit1191,114,717
    Posted on 07 January 17 at 01:39
    ThreeHaddock62 said:
    That's not even close to being true. Contracts can be insanely specific and things can be cut up and sold piecemeal very easily. If I were Marvel I could take Spider-Man and do the following:

* Sell the rights to Rocksteady to make an open world game where the webhead can travel around using his webs and acrobatics.
    * Sell the rights to Platinum Games to make a Spider-Man based beat 'em up that follows linear levels and uses lots of combo based antics.
    * Sell the rights to Raven Software to use Spider-Man as a character in MUA3.
    * Sell the rights to Capcom to use him in a fighting game.

It all depends on how it was done, the language used and all the other small details that crop up.

As for console exclusivity it makes sense for it to happen. Sony owns the movies rights for Spider-Man and now that Activision's deal with Marvel is at an end it makes sense for Sony to try snapping up the game rights too. Sony has been throwing around a shit ton of money to buy lots of exclusives, timed or otherwise, so I wouldn't be too surprised if this was still the case.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.