Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Play Free-to-Play Games and Get Rewarded with Xbox's New FREEdom Rewards

AuthorMessage
witter56
witter56
Posted on 22 January 17 at 20:54
no
Vermin360
Vermin360
Posted on 22 January 17 at 21:04
If a game isn't for you, just don't play it. Simple. The larger an audience a console can bring to its platform, the better it is for all gamers on that platform in the long run. If you don't like sports games, does that mean that Madden, FIFA, etc shouldn't be made available on the Xbox One? "Keep that crap on PS4?" No, it doesn't. It also doesn't mean that you have to partake, just try being a little tolerant of the people that do enjoy them. I'm not a big F2P player myself, but am not shortsighted enough to take the "get off my lawn" attitude towards them. I know I'm not the only person this console is being marketed toward. /endrant.
We don't stop playing because we get old; we grow old because we stop playing.
LifeExpectancy
LifeExpectancy
Posted on 22 January 17 at 21:06
Hurball said:
By "play free-to-play games" this really means "pay money to play free-to-play games" and get a little bit back.
Yup. I expect most if not all responses to this to be similar, and rightfully so. A couple thousand reward points is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of cash they expect you to spend, especially when it takes 10,000 points to get a $10 coupon.
Tukaitaua
Tukaitaua
Posted on 22 January 17 at 21:09
In regards to unlocking 5 achievements in Warframe to get platnium, this is one of those times I wish I hadn't already completed a game.
DutRank
DutRank
Posted on 22 January 17 at 21:10, Edited on 22 January 17 at 21:12 by DutRank
Really sucks that Smite isn't part of that Giveaway.

LifeExpectancy said:
Hurball said:
By "play free-to-play games" this really means "pay money to play free-to-play games" and get a little bit back.
Yup. I expect most if not all responses to this to be similar, and rightfully so. A couple thousand reward points is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of cash they expect you to spend, especially when it takes 10,000 points to get a $10 coupon.
Except they don't have to give you anything. So there is literally no reason to complain if someone thinks the rewards are too little. Life would go on exactly like it did before they gave rewards incentives.
mr xenon
mr xenon
Posted on 22 January 17 at 21:42
Face -> Palm.
mr xenon
Giincee
Giincee
Posted on 22 January 17 at 21:48
Good for those who wants the DC Universe Online mission DLCs. Now they can buy mission packs at a total of 30$ per month and can receive some points on rewards.xbox.com

The Warframe platinum mission is pretty good though.

I'm a rewards member since it got published and it's the first time after a while that we have get a special.
TVippy
TVippy
Posted on 22 January 17 at 22:11
Only interested in the ones where you don't have to pay. Right now it's only SURVEYS, right?

P.S. How do people refer other people to buy Gold?? There're simply no buttons for that on Xbox Rewards. They're supposedly giving $5 for that.
I don't play games very often. =/
Zorlac0666
Zorlac0666
Posted on 22 January 17 at 22:15
Hurball said:
It really varies per game to what you get for the money. In Star trek everything (literally everything ) on the shop can be earned through the dilithium exchange in game. In path of Exile there's literally only cosmetic rewards, and bag upgrades in the shop. In smite it's skins, xp boosters, and the god pack which doesn't buy you power, just the ability to play more gods.

Yes there have been some bad examples over the years, but most devs have learned from this and have been leaning more towards the good examples as of late.
IGutlessIWonder
Posted on 22 January 17 at 22:18
laugh
The Gutless Wonder "Try not to understand anything I'm saying and it'll all make sense"
Our Afflictions
Posted on 22 January 17 at 22:18
NegativeCreep08 said:
Keep this sort of garbage on mobile phones
Why? The f2p games on the one are nice. The purchases are 100% optional.
Pris
Pris
Posted on 22 January 17 at 22:19
Smite is the only F2P game I actually spent money on. Even then it was the all gods pack. Most F2P games just don't interest me.
Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon
Posted on 22 January 17 at 22:20
The "rewards" they're offering are not nearly enough to draw in anybody who does not already play these games. You're getting the equivalent of $5 per month as a reward for spending $40 per month.
My opinions are often unpopular and acerbic.
KinectKid333
KinectKid333
Posted on 22 January 17 at 22:25
At least this is not permanent.
First gamer ever to be revived from the dead! Also, the ladies man... "Sup"
sm182
sm182
Posted on 22 January 17 at 22:39
Microsoft must be getting desperate.
Assassin Corvo
Posted on 22 January 17 at 22:51
Vermin360 said:
If a game isn't for you, just don't play it. Simple. The larger an audience a console can bring to its platform, the better it is for all gamers on that platform in the long run. If you don't like sports games, does that mean that Madden, FIFA, etc shouldn't be made available on the Xbox One? "Keep that crap on PS4?" No, it doesn't. It also doesn't mean that you have to partake, just try being a little tolerant of the people that do enjoy them. I'm not a big F2P player myself, but am not shortsighted enough to take the "get off my lawn" attitude towards them. I know I'm not the only person this console is being marketed toward. /endrant.
Well said!
russolini77
russolini77
Posted on 22 January 17 at 23:02
Oh for ... this article was written almost as if by copying and pasting "suggested marketing copy" from Microsoft directly into it. Maybe not, but it sure reads like it was. Disgusting. I thought TA was completely free from bullshit marketing advertising sponsorship from Microsoft. Booooooo!
Hey, I'll admit, I play F2P games too. I just don't spend real money on them. Because spending money to progress through "free" games seems like cheating, and the only case I'd do that is if the game was so utterly terrible and pointless I'd gladly give them $5 to finish the game without the associated pain and get my completion ratio back up. Again, cheating.
Interesting arguments both ways, but I still hate anyone pretending there is anything "free" in the world, anywhere, and trying to suggest they're doing it for your benefit in any way whatsoever. If you believe that, I've got a box of unopened Nintendo World Championship cartridges for sale, autographed by Howard Phillips himself.
In Gyi Yoon
In Gyi Yoon
Posted on 22 January 17 at 23:03
Hurball said:
damn right
Tanelorn82
Tanelorn82
Posted on 22 January 17 at 23:10, Edited on 22 January 17 at 23:10 by Tanelorn82
This will absolutely not draw me closer to free to play games.
Welcome to TA, where stats are made up and some achievements do not matter.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 22 January 17 at 23:14
I don't understand why people are getting so worked up about this. Is this a great deal, nope. Do you have have start paying $$$ for F2P games, nope. So only if you voluntarily spend your money will you get rewarded. It's not a great reward but it's better than nothing.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.