Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Play Free-to-Play Games and Get Rewarded with Xbox's New FREEdom Rewards

AuthorMessage
Stevo6483
Stevo6483
Posted on 24 January 17 at 13:07
Fanta Morgana said:
Goggs25 said:
I love it when people say its F2P on console but leave out that you have PAY for gold membership in order for you to play a FREE TO PLAY game
Depends how you view it. It is free to drive on the highway but you need a car to do so, which costs money.
In the UK we have road tax, so sadly you pay for the car and use of the road lol.
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
Jappe
Jappe
Posted on 24 January 17 at 13:17
CounterInsurgnt said:
Jappe said:
Love it how so many people hate free to play games.

You are born free in this world but you don't drive a Ferrari without paying shit loads of money for it.
You can play F2P games like Neverwinter for free but you can't ride that epic mount of yours without spending some money to get it. Oh wait, you can if you collect and save money for it. Just like you get your Ferrari in real life.

No free to play game on One has a pay-wall. Meaning you can't progress in the game without paying. You can play the games absolutely for free. But that guy who just ran next to you with their golden shorts and purple unicorn that shits rainbows is so cool! Well guess what. So is that Ferrari you saw yesterday on Miami Beach.

Jesus Christ people get a grip of yourselves and stop nagging.
This coming from Jappe, a guy who has purchased every single Xbox live arcade game ever, lol.
Wait what? What do arcade games have to do with F2P games? Also I don't even own too many arcade games.
Iceberg082006
Iceberg082006
Posted on 24 January 17 at 14:59
Stevo6483 said:
Fanta Morgana said:
Goggs25 said:
I love it when people say its F2P on console but leave out that you have PAY for gold membership in order for you to play a FREE TO PLAY game
Depends how you view it. It is free to drive on the highway but you need a car to do so, which costs money.
In the UK we have road tax, so sadly you pay for the car and use of the road lol.
In the US some roads have Tolls, so sometimes we pay for the use of that specific road
Iceberg Right Ahead
halohogg
halohogg
Posted on 24 January 17 at 15:21
Iceberg082006 said:
Stevo6483 said:
Fanta Morgana said:
Goggs25 said:
In the US some roads have Tolls, so sometimes we pay for the use of that specific road
Free to drive on the highway? What planet is this non-licensed kid from? License, insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. In life in general "there is never a free lunch." Someone, somewhere, ALWAYS pays.
CounterInsurgnt
Posted on 24 January 17 at 15:27
Vermin360 said:
Goggs25 said:
Those evil swine at Microsoft! You mean they're giving you additional incentive to subscribe to LIVE than just multiplayer, and Games with Gold? I wish they'd stop adding value to things like that. roll
This post has to be the finest example of someone not knowing what the hell they are talking about, EVER!
PoppaSmurf110
PoppaSmurf110
Posted on 24 January 17 at 15:53
laugh laugh laugh
Vermin360
Vermin360
Posted on 24 January 17 at 19:54, Edited on 24 January 17 at 20:01 by Vermin360
CounterInsurgnt said:
Vermin360 said:
Goggs25 said:
Those evil swine at Microsoft! You mean they're giving you additional incentive to subscribe to LIVE than just multiplayer, and Games with Gold? I wish they'd stop adding value to things like that. roll
This post has to be the finest example of someone not knowing what the hell they are talking about, EVER!
Right back at ya.

Think about it. There is a free TA account, and there is a Premium account. The Premium account provides additional benefits to subscribers that are not available to regular users. Being able to play F2P games is an added benefit to having an Xbox LIVE Gold account. If there were no added value to having a Gold account, nobody would bother spending the money on one. I think I can safely argue that I know what the hell I was talking about. You just didn't understand what the hell I was talking about. There is a difference.
We don't stop playing because we get old; we grow old because we stop playing.
JMJimmy
JMJimmy
Posted on 24 January 17 at 20:44
Vermin360 said:
CounterInsurgnt said:
Vermin360 said:
Goggs25 said:
Right back at ya.

Think about it. There is a free TA account, and there is a Premium account. The Premium account provides additional benefits to subscribers that are not available to regular users. Being able to play F2P games is an added benefit to having an Xbox LIVE Gold account. If there were no added value to having a Gold account, nobody would bother spending the money on one. I think I can safely argue that I know what the hell I was talking about. You just didn't understand what the hell I was talking about. There is a difference.
I thought about it, and I think you've got flawed logic. There's pretty much nothing I can't do with a free TA account that I can't do with a premium account - it's just more of the goodness. Being able to play F2P games is possible on PC & PS4 without needing a paid account so really Microsoft is withholding what's available freely to others needlessly. GwG is a different story - that is an incentive that supports your argument.
Life, it's funny that way.
xTCx
xTCx
Posted on 24 January 17 at 21:38
So fucking stupid
Vermin360
Vermin360
Posted on 24 January 17 at 21:48
JMJimmy said:
I thought about it, and I think you've got flawed logic. There's pretty much nothing I can't do with a free TA account that I can't do with a premium account - it's just more of the goodness. Being able to play F2P games is possible on PC & PS4 without needing a paid account so really Microsoft is withholding what's available freely to others needlessly. GwG is a different story - that is an incentive that supports your argument.
That's an intelligent retort, JMJimmy. You've shown some flaws in my argument that I can certainly accept. But to continue playing devil's advocate (a role I often enjoy), without a capable PC or PS4 playing certain F2P games may only be available to me through Xbox LIVE Gold. Obviously the more options that you have at your disposal, the more you can skirt the restrictions.

Following the toll road example also mentioned in this thread, if you don't want to pay the tolls (Xbox LIVE Gold), you can drive on another road (PS4) that will take you to the same place (Neverwinter, etc.). But the toll road may get you there faster and/or with a smoother ride. If you don't have access to the other roads, you either pay the toll or you stay put. Life sucks that way sometimes.

Ultimately how we spend our money is our own personal choice. If we perceive something to be of value, we will buy it. If we don't, we will pass on it. I don't understand how people spend so much money on Clash of Clans, or EVE Online. But others don't understand why I spend money on half the stuff I do. (I look at a lot of the crap that has collected in my basement and I sometimes don't understand my expenditures myself.) If the offered "rebate" isn't enough to draw my interests to spending on something I can still pass. It doesn't discount the fact that somebody who is drawn, or was always interested, is now getting something back they previously would not have.
We don't stop playing because we get old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Gortus
Gortus
Posted on 27 January 17 at 17:12
Too bad we don't have a Path of Exile release date during this promotion.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 28 January 17 at 03:30
Lol
OllyBongo89
OllyBongo89
Posted on 02 February 17 at 21:31
How is it a free referral bonus?
I just read the faq and t&c it states...

How can I refer my friends to Free to Play and FREEdom Rewards?

Select Xbox Live Rewards members can earn a variety of exclusive prizes for referring their friends to select Free to Play titles during the offer period. All actions must be completed between 15 January 2017 00:00 UTC and 28 February 2017 23:59 UTC. Please visit http://www.worldtimeserver.com or another world time database to determine local time.

Refer your friends to Neverwinter:
You can refer your eligible friends to try Neverwinter. To accept your referral, they must download the game if they haven’t already from the Xbox Store and spend at least £2.99 including VAT on add-on content (see content definition in question 2) in the Xbox Store by 28 February. When they do, you will both receive an Experience Booster (ARV: £5.40) that gives you bonus XP for any character in the game.

Refer your friends to World of Tanks:
You can refer your eligible friends to try World of Tanks. To accept your referral, they must download the game, if they have not already done so, from the Xbox Store and ‘purchase’ the free Starter Kit – Kraken Edition by 28 February. Please note that while the Starter Kit is free, your friend must ‘purchase’ it by downloading it from the Xbox Store. When they do, you will both receive the Leg-Up Bundle (ARV: £5.22) for Xbox One featuring 3 x3 XP Boosts, 3 Garage Slots and 3 days of Premium Time in the game. The Leg-Up Bundle can only be redeemed once per user. However, if you receive more than one as a Reward for this promotion, you can send your additional code(s) to a friend.

Refer your friends to Star Trek Online:
You can refer your eligible friends to try Star Trek Online. To accept your referral, they must download the game if they have not already from the Xbox Store and spend at least £2.99 including VAT on add-on content (see content definition in question 2) in the Xbox Store by 28 February. When they do, you will both receive a Large XP Booster (ARV: £5.85) that gives you bonus XP for your captain in the game.

Refer your friends to DC Universe Online:
You can refer your eligible friends to try DC Universe Online. To accept your referral, they must download the game, if they have not already, from the Xbox Store and purchase a DC Universe Online Monthly Subscription (1-Month, 3-Month or 12-Month) in the Xbox Store by 28 February. When they do, you will both receive 500 Marketplace Cash (ARV: £2.99) to spend in the game.
OllyBongo
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 03 February 17 at 05:12
That's how referrals for these things ALWAYS work. Otherwise you could just make 100 fake accounts and get yourself 100 packs...of course there needs to be some benefit to them.
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
Xystra
Xystra
Posted on 03 February 17 at 06:35
no, that's what happens... I was asking HOW to refer them! where do I go, what do I click, to send a referral to a friend? I don't see a "refer a friend" button in the World of Tanks menu.
Barrenechea
Barrenechea
Posted on 02 May 17 at 17:10
It depends on the user, I think. Personally, I don't mind spending 30 bucks on some add ons to a game I play regularly. The developer still has people that need to get paid, so depending on the quality, I think it's a fair deal. If it's a shyte game, I'm not giving them anything.

However, I see folks on Transformers Earth Wars, a free to play mobile game, spending 100 bucks on in game crystals for random chance at 4 star characters. And that's MONTHLY! Gambling addiction, much? I would never, NEVER pay 100 bucks on a game, even a full one!

(Well, except that one time, for an expansion on World of Warcraft, and it was a collector's edition, and I wanted the pet and... I'm ashamed of myself.)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.