Game Discussion: DC Universe Online Forum

Completion time of 0-1 hours??????

AuthorMessage
WOODY2211
1,070,820
WOODY2211
Posted on 26 January 17 at 23:13
I am interested to know why this game has a completion time of 0-1 hours. How have people managed to do this??
Pra1s3Th3Sun
218,505
Pra1s3Th3Sun
Posted on 26 January 17 at 23:25
I haven't played this game, but as a F2P title I'd imagine that completion estimate is based on buying your way to every single achievement. It might be fast but it sure as hell won't be cheap.
JumboWario
621,169
JumboWario
Posted on 26 January 17 at 23:27
If you spend like $80 you can level up your characters or something.
Game On.
alklein92201
495,507
alklein92201
Posted on 27 January 17 at 00:59
Yea it's from buying your way. You need 6 level 30 characters and you can buy a boost to 30 (if you login and use it before Feb 1, you get a free boost, and another if you have a membership for $15/mo). So, buying 6 boosts and the super easy Platinum race right after the tutorial
#mentallypudding
Allgorhythm
256,243
Allgorhythm
Posted on 27 January 17 at 02:44
JumboWario said:
If you spend like $80 you can level up your characters or something.
I avoid games like this.
alklein92201
495,507
alklein92201
Posted on 27 January 17 at 03:07
It's actually a good thing, as it helps people who already know the game (or people who know MMORPGs and just need to know the player abilities) get right into the endgame and not have to repeatedly go through the leveling process.
#mentallypudding
Allgorhythm
256,243
Allgorhythm
Posted on 27 January 17 at 03:22
There are many things wrong with it. Here are the first two that come to mind. First, it is buying achievements rather than playing the game. A good game would associate the leveling process with a fun factor. Second, there is no level playing field. On TA, one would not be able to discern whether a player had skill and/or dedication or just a fat wallet.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 27 January 17 at 04:32
Allgorhythm said:
There are many things wrong with it. Here are the first two that come to mind. First, it is buying achievements rather than playing the game. A good game would associate the leveling process with a fun factor. Second, there is no level playing field. On TA, one would not be able to discern whether a player had skill and/or dedication or just a fat wallet.
Or maybe look at it from the view of the average MMO player. Not someone who cares about an inflated number.

It's a good thing it's there, coincidence that there's achievements tied to leveling.
Living Legends
Posted on 27 January 17 at 04:36, Edited on 27 January 17 at 04:37 by Living Legends
Myself as a user to spend that much to complete a game and not ever touch it is ludicrous.

If you have played the game before on PC or a different GT and want to go through the levels so you do not have to go through the torturing leveling up scheme then its ok. It's like Diablo, why waste a whole bunch of hours to level up a class when you can sit in a spot and level up quickly. Same for Borderlands, no point in playing two playthroughs when your buddy can help you level up to 72 to keep raiding.
alklein92201
495,507
alklein92201
Posted on 27 January 17 at 05:13
Allgorhythm said:
There are many things wrong with it. Here are the first two that come to mind. First, it is buying achievements rather than playing the game. A good game would associate the leveling process with a fun factor. Second, there is no level playing field. On TA, one would not be able to discern whether a player had skill and/or dedication or just a fat wallet.
Buying achievements really isn't taken into consideration, nor should it be. The leveling is fun, but that doesn't mean people will want to repeatedly do it. Enjoying a game doesn't give it ultimate replayability. The second follows my first sentence, achievements really aren't relevant when they make the decision to add that sort of thing, it's about the fun factor, which for most people is maximized at the end game.
#mentallypudding
Allgorhythm
256,243
Allgorhythm
Posted on 27 January 17 at 16:16
I won't beat a dead horse but I do think achievements should be earned and not bought. I think this is particularly true for the TA community where we have achievement leaderboards.
alklein92201
495,507
alklein92201
Posted on 27 January 17 at 21:13
That I do agree with. If I had a choice to not unlock the achievements I did with my boosts, I might have taken it.
#mentallypudding
misfit119
842,262
misfit119
Posted on 28 January 17 at 04:14, Edited on 28 January 17 at 04:15 by misfit119
Allgorhythm said:
I won't beat a dead horse but I do think achievements should be earned and not bought. I think this is particularly true for the TA community where we have achievement leaderboards.
That's kind of the point though. They're not "bought" per se. It's just that many MMO's now offer level boosts to get new characters into end game content and that crosses paths with a few achievements. I kind of wish the devs had made these boosts not count for the achievement but I'm more than happy to shave off one playthrough for free. laugh Then again I hate games where they make you play through it with every class when doing so is a 10+ hour project. Just let me play my main character and have fun dammit.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
aLackofGravitas
Posted on 28 January 17 at 09:24
Allgorhythm said:
I won't beat a dead horse but I do think achievements should be earned and not bought. I think this is particularly true for the TA community where we have achievement leaderboards.
.

An argument could be made that any achievements gained through reading guides, exploits, watching videos etc are also not "earned".
IAteA11ThePies
Posted on 29 January 17 at 01:26
My problem with this is the more it happens the more it is normalised - and the more we will see games have extra grinds added in so gamers will pay out extra money to skip past them. It's already bad enough them adding in grinds, esp MP grinds, so they can claim a longer amount of gameplay. In many cases this causes players (esp completionists!) to go from enjoying playing the game to hating it.
Allgorhythm
256,243
Allgorhythm
Posted on 29 January 17 at 01:31
IAteA11ThePies said:
My problem with this is the more it happens the more it is normalised - and the more we will see games have extra grinds added in so gamers will pay out extra money to skip past them. It's already bad enough them adding in grinds, esp MP grinds, so they can claim a longer amount of gameplay. In many cases this causes players (esp completionists!) to go from enjoying playing the game to hating it.
+1
Our Afflictions
Posted on 29 January 17 at 01:41
IAteA11ThePies said:
My problem with this is the more it happens the more it is normalised - and the more we will see games have extra grinds added in so gamers will pay out extra money to skip past them. It's already bad enough them adding in grinds, esp MP grinds, so they can claim a longer amount of gameplay. In many cases this causes players (esp completionists!) to go from enjoying playing the game to hating it.
The difference is this is an MMO where grinds are expected. This feature is for players who want to play the fun end game stuff that Comes in MMOs. Not meant to buy achievements.
Strategy One
639,315
Strategy One
Posted on 30 January 17 at 23:38
I can't believe people are willing to spend so much for a game completion/1000 gamerscore.... I mean that's about 7-10 hours of work for me, for a game completion.... Ill take the free 250 and be happy thanks.
erod550
945,355
erod550
Posted on 31 January 17 at 18:25
$90 if you are starting from scratch and do it by the end of today (1/31). You get one free character leveled to 30 without paying anything (expires today 1/31), $15 for a 1 month subscription gets you more character slots and another character leveled to 30. Plus if you're a subscriber you get a discount on buying the other skips to 30 so it's $20 per character instead of $25. So 15 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 = $95 if you don't do any of the leveling yourself.

It's actually 2000 MC per character, so you can save another $5 by buying 5000 at once for $44.99 and then the other 3000 for $9.99 per 1000. So that's how you could do it for $90 and be done with the game from scratch in 10 minutes.

But if you'd rather play the game that's your option too and it'll take ~20 hrs per character playing the exact same missions over and over. I did one character legit and got halfway through a second and just said nope and bought the rest so I could be done. I thought I could just push through the grind but it was too boring for me so spending $55 (less than 2 hrs of work for me) to finish up was worth it to me to have the completion but not have to spend another 50 hours playing the same stuff over and over to get it. If the game was actually fun and not so repetitive I would have just kept playing.
l BlackBrian7 l
Posted on 02 February 17 at 00:10
erod550 said:
$90 if you are starting from scratch and do it by the end of today (1/31). You get one free character leveled to 30 without paying anything (expires today 1/31), $15 for a 1 month subscription gets you more character slots and another character leveled to 30. Plus if you're a subscriber you get a discount on buying the other skips to 30 so it's $20 per character instead of $25. So 15 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 = $95 if you don't do any of the leveling yourself.

It's actually 2000 MC per character, so you can save another $5 by buying 5000 at once for $44.99 and then the other 3000 for $9.99 per 1000. So that's how you could do it for $90 and be done with the game from scratch in 10 minutes.

But if you'd rather play the game that's your option too and it'll take ~20 hrs per character playing the exact same missions over and over. I did one character legit and got halfway through a second and just said nope and bought the rest so I could be done. I thought I could just push through the grind but it was too boring for me so spending $55 (less than 2 hrs of work for me) to finish up was worth it to me to have the completion but not have to spend another 50 hours playing the same stuff over and over to get it. If the game was actually fun and not so repetitive I would have just kept playing.
It didnt take that long (~20hrs) for me. My first one took ~14 hours and my second one only took 7 hours (once I knew what I was doing). So you can definitely finish it moderately fast once you have an idea of how to play (and if you get people to join you on missions).
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.