Game Discussion: Mass Effect 2 Forum

Help! Insanity run with soldier

AuthorMessage
TheDadBoat
TheDadBoat
Posted on 03 February 17 at 21:41
I'm doing an insanity run for the achievement, and having big issues with the collector ship section (big surprise) I imported my initial ME2 playthrough which is a soldier and is now level 30. Hardened AR and a variety of ammo powers, using the Revenant.

I've been running missions with Miranda and Grunt and it's been fine so far, but now both squad mates are doing minimal damage and dying so fast that I have to deal with Harbinger, the second platform coming in and both Scions still alive. Not being able to re-train the squad mates, and being locked in to this mission (can't go anywhere else until I finish it) I have to find a way to get through it.

I'm trying to get my squad members up to be fodder and possibly give me a shot to finish everything off, but I keep getting knocked out of cover and then destroyed by a couple Scions, a Harbinger and the remaining collector drones.

I've browsed forums etc for a little bit but haven't found a strategy that I feel like I can try.

Any tips? I can get other squad mates but the consensus I've seen in Miranda for her health boost, and Grunt to try and tank.

Thanks for any recommendations! I would like to avoid re-starting the game with another class if possible, as I only played this once before like 5-6 years ago.
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 03 February 17 at 22:30
Those squaddies are fine. Usually you should just let Grunt do his thing. Make sure Miranda is using the heavy pistol and not the machine gun or she's completely useless. Let Grunt move forward but keep him in cover but keep Miranda closer to you. This way you can pick her up easily.

Stick to Warp ammo for the Collector ship. Try to pop out, activate AR with Warp Ammo and rip through a high difficulty target and pick off weaker ones while it's on cooldown. You basically have to play it almost like a sniper at this point. Try to keep M&G on drones to limit Harbingers choices while you go after Scions.

Generally speaking you need to leave Harbinger alive until you kill off everything else so he doesn't just keep hopping bodies since each body is a massive ammo sink. So try to thin out the Scions first, avoid the mouthy idiot and clean up the drones before dealing with him. If necessary let Grunt distract him with a charge.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
TheDadBoat
TheDadBoat
Posted on 04 February 17 at 04:41
Thanks for the input, I decided to go for a re-spec and haven't been successful yet but was able to get consistently further. Time for a few more runs!
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 04 February 17 at 21:52
When I did that part with my Infiltrator it took me a few days of trying on and off to figure out an approach that worked. I had to keep trying to tweak my strategy to see if it would work this time. Really the only thing that ended up working for me was going heavy on the defense to buy time and pick enemies off one by one.
Drachen77
Drachen77
Posted on 16 February 17 at 04:49
I still can't figure out why ME2 is so much harder then 1 or 3 on insanity. I beat both 1 and 3 with no problems but I just can't do it on 2. I'm going through on normal now to reorient myself, and then try insanity again.
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 16 February 17 at 15:28
Its the barriers. In ME1 and 3 the enemies may have inflated health pools but almost all of them can be successfully crowd controlled if you bring the right party. With ME2 though you have the enemies with armor, shields or barriers that make them immune to your CC effects until you remove the barrier. This means you use up your first few abilities just making them vulnerable, shooting them to remove the barrier and then deal with crowd control. It makes fights take longer, makes them more dangerous and easy to die in.
Drachen77
Drachen77
Posted on 17 February 17 at 03:55
That makes perfect sense.
TheDadBoat
TheDadBoat
Posted on 19 February 17 at 08:08
Managed to get past the section relying on warp ammo and a bit of luck. Played defensively and Wrex stayed alive long enough to let me deal with the drones/Harbinger and then the Scions were easy to snipe!
boldfoxrd
boldfoxrd
Posted on 21 April 18 at 09:55
Oh man this part is driving me mad. I thought Horizon was bad but as I've been doing loyalty missions, I expect the rest of the game won't be so bad. This however is a killer. I'll try it later with Grunt rather than Garrus and having Miranda use Heavy Pistol.
rdenton85 that is my ps3 id
ArDPalang
ArDPalang
Posted on 26 April 18 at 14:34
Check the walkthrough for this specific mission, it has some very good tips on how to take cover. I had difficulty with the same spot, then decided to check the walkthorugh and followed its tips and got it 3rd try. There is some sort of a cover in the middle, right? Take cover in the leftmost part of this cover for the first platform. Ignore the sicon at this point and focus on harbringer with your adrenaline rush. For the second platform, move to the middle of the cover, the same strategy. In time between 2nd and 3rd platforms try to kill the sicon on the right (the first one that appears) and position your self on the rightmost part of the cover. With some patience and luck and frequent use of adrenaline rush you can get past this part. Also I suggest changing to collector laser thing for your heavy weapon. If you concentrate its fire on a collector, it will burn through him in 2 3 seconds. I could manage to kill the first three collectors on the first platform with that gun fast enough before harbringer even get a chance to spawn.
Also, I know you want to break your TV...don`t laugh
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.