The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

XBL Sale Roundup: February 7th, 2017

• Posted on 07 February 17 at 18:39Permalink
    Not a very good layout at all....and I never thought I would see such rude comments from Trueachievements at other users just for voicing their own opinions on the layout. Sometimes new things dont work and if a good majority agrees maybe find a way to fix it or revert back to the old way until you do.
  • SpilnerSpilner793,775
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 18:39Permalink
    TrueAchievement said:
    Terrene Fire said:
    Adding to the chorus that this layout isnt helpful- having Uk/Ca etc prices was the best thing, no idea what the achievement section means or is trying to accomplish.

Basically made it pointless to check TA for the sales, if I wanted to click the store page for my region I could have done that straight from Major Nelson
    Just to explain the layout.

Having prices for 8 regions is a complete mess, so we are just showing the US prices to give you an idea of how much they are. To check your region you can just go to the new Xbox Sales page, where you can also see completion estimates, the average user score, filter and sort, etc etc.

The achievement icons link through to the achievement packs in each bit of content.

We will see if we can add the back compat information to the xbox 360 list.
    Bad move showing only US.
    If you're telling us to just use the sales page you might as well not even bother with the news post or just have the post link to it in a really lazy way.

Would have thought that 'integration' last week would have actually improved these feature and not hurt it, oh well.
    Pom poms at the ready, cheerleaders!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 February 17 at 18:43Permalink
    Spilner said:
    TrueAchievement said:
    Terrene Fire said:
    Adding to the chorus that this layout isnt helpful- having Uk/Ca etc prices was the best thing, no idea what the achievement section means or is trying to accomplish.

Basically made it pointless to check TA for the sales, if I wanted to click the store page for my region I could have done that straight from Major Nelson
    Just to explain the layout.

Having prices for 8 regions is a complete mess, so we are just showing the US prices to give you an idea of how much they are. To check your region you can just go to the new Xbox Sales page, where you can also see completion estimates, the average user score, filter and sort, etc etc.

The achievement icons link through to the achievement packs in each bit of content.

We will see if we can add the back compat information to the xbox 360 list.
    Bad move showing only US.
    If you're telling us to just use the sales page you might as well not even bother with the news post or just have the post link to it in a really lazy way.

Would have thought that 'integration' last week would have actually improved these feature and not hurt it, oh well.
    Hate to agree with Spliner but he's kinda right; you may as well just have the link to the sales page alone, or have the sales page layout and region prices in the news article.
  • ZkerfZkerf1,203,086
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 18:49Permalink
    What are the chances of getting the layout shown in this thread as a custom layout option on the sales page? That page has too much irrelevant information for me and I can't say I like it. Plus it takes like 3 times longer to go through the list now just because of unnecessary page scrolling.
  • Sparkz1977Sparkz1977934,813
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 18:57Permalink
    Not a fan of this new format at all. If you're only going to show only US prices and make everyone else click a link, you may as well not show any prices at all and make everyone click a link.
    Surely some wizardry to show prices applicable to your own region could be implemented?
  • DefaultDefault551,978
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 19:09, Edited on 07 February 17 at 19:11 by DefaultPermalink
    I am indifferent about the new layout. It could be better than the original once people are used to it.

(I am from the US so it doesnt affect me, but...) is it possible to have the post generate the table for each member depending on their Default Region? For instance, if someone came from the UK to the page, it showed the table in their currency, and not dollars?

The only suggestion I have is to please add some sort of Backwards Compatibility indicator.

Edit: For all I care, make the "controller" icon for the Backwards Compatible games black, instead of white.
    "A man chooses. A slave obeys." -Andrew Ryan
  • PuRe PretzelPuRe Pretzel369,618
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 19:35Permalink
    I would also like to add that I liked the old layout way more.
    twitter.com/jay_smith
  • KenH2k4KenH2k4549,006
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 19:44Permalink
    I like this layout but the cells are kind of funky on mobile. Would it be possible to code the story to use the user's chosen region to show prices for the non US folks?
  • DAN NUFCDAN NUFC964,260
  • PlayUltimate711PlayUltimate7111,064,610
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 19:56Permalink
    Rich isn't being rude. People complain that some feature they want isn't there and then he points out it is there.

All of this is great. Thank you, Rich.

On the old sales page we could filter out content we already owned. I don't see an option to do that on the new sales page. Am I missing something? Would it be possible to have that added at some point? I understand the new sales page is a little different since it shows everything including bundles and DLC that doesn't have achievements, so you don't know if we own some of the content, but that would still be a cool option even if it didn't filter everything out.
    I AM PEKE?
  • DJ DEXTADJ DEXTA1,417,354
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 20:26Permalink
    angelsk said:
    Echoing the request for the other prices, as previous posts have had.

Plus indications of BC and unobtainable needs to come back :)
    What he said! clap
    Of course i have initiative..... im just waiting for someone to tell me when to use it.
  • Tendoman77Tendoman772,305,691
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 20:33, Edited on 07 February 17 at 20:34 by Tendoman77Permalink
    DeviSlator said:
    Preferred the old layout. Can we get it to adjust automatically for region?
    Yeah I agree, I dislike this new layout a lot myself and prefer to see £ without having to go to a extra menu. No offense but American bias on any site is a massive negative.
  • angelskangelsk728,194
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 20:35Permalink
    DJ DEXTA said:
    angelsk said:
    Echoing the request for the other prices, as previous posts have had.

Plus indications of BC and unobtainable needs to come back :)
    What he said! clap
    She!! Jeez.
  • Tanelorn82Tanelorn82409,658
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 21:00Permalink
    TrueAchievement said:
    Terrene Fire said:
    Be interesting for you to maybe time how long it would take for you to click on every single game in that list and find out the UK store price, and how many of those prices you remember by the time you get to the end? Because that's what you are basically asking people to do
    Dude, you just click this one link here to see all the UK prices:

Xbox Sales

That's it!
    You mean, the page where we cannot see at first glance all the new deals, grouped by platform, and then grouped by game for DLC, all sorted alphabetically. The same page where we lose all kind of filtering and ordering if we click on an item and press back. Got it ! toast
    Welcome to TA, where stats are made up and some achievements do not matter.
  • JestingmeatJestingmeat348,695
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 21:03Permalink
    Not liking this new layout at all. I used to always come on TA to check the sales roundup so i'd have all the info right away including my region pricing and indications if the 360 games were BC. Now there's no point in me waiting on the sales roundup if that info is no longer contained.
  • Posted on 07 February 17 at 21:10Permalink
    A "simple new format" if you are American, if not, please enjoy this new "massively overcomplicated" new format.
  • EmDeeGeeEmDeeGee730,584
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 21:14Permalink
    I did the click and went to the other page to see my region's prices, but it's just not the same... It's not as orderly as it used to be. Hoping it'll change a bit for next week, at least the BC add-on should be a must have...
    Proud member of the last remaining Dutch team in GTASC 2015
  • Mark FarleyMark Farley521,451
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 21:20Permalink
    Judging by the comments wouldn't it be easier to have the sales hub as the article. Maybe somehow implement a quick review to head it?
    MY TA interview - http://goo.gl/TVEEH
  • JuIIIianJuIIIian756,114
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 21:26Permalink
    Discounts are valid now through 13 February 2017.
    JuIIIian
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead536,572
    Posted on 07 February 17 at 21:49, Edited on 08 February 17 at 01:03 by HolyHalfDeadPermalink
    This is great. Now we have add-ons without achievements and bundles listed with pricing on this site.

I know it has put a few of us out of a job, but that frees us up to do other things for the site. We used to spend several hours each week manually typing in the prices for 7 different regions and setting the dates of each deal. That meant there was usually a delay getting the news item out, sometimes by days for the really massive sales. I also means it eliminates typos (unless Microsoft make one). I can understand if you live in one of the 4 other regions Chewie used to publish the prices for, but for everyone in the rest of the world the prices were irrelevant.

It took me a matter of seconds to work out what all the icons mean. I know how people react to change. You only had to ask a Windows XP user to try Vista or Windows 8 to see that. Give it a chance is what I say and give constructive feedback. That's how Windows 7 and Windows 10 came about.

Adding a Backward Compatible logo is at the top of my wish list. I also hope that over time some of the advanced filtering and layout options of the awesome My Game Collection page are added. For example Xbox Live Arcade titles are shown with an orange icon.

When I was putting together my blog this week I noticed couple of deals that have not been picked up for some reason:
    Mighty No. 9 (Xbox 360)
    - Ray Expansion 50% off
    - Retro Hero 50% off

DAN NUFC said:RIP, although I expect I will continue tracking the free stuff and price drops.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.