Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

XBL Sale Roundup: February 7th, 2017

AuthorMessage
ShokuPanMike
ShokuPanMike
Posted on 09 February 17 at 01:51
DEATH CODE45709 said:
Seeing just US prices is a disappointment, I preferred the old layout
Agreed. No use to me. I come here to get an easy guide to what's on sale which used to include UK prices (as well as other currencies). Since the change it's easier to switch the xbox on and check directly.
Less work, more play!
Lockie
Lockie
Posted on 09 February 17 at 02:17
I think alot of people here are missing the point that this is just an overview of the Sales.

Just click on the Sales link in the first paragraph for local pricing, filtering etc. ya bunch of whiners laugh
Posting from sunny Australia.
alklein92201
alklein92201
Posted on 09 February 17 at 03:55
Lockie said:
I think alot of people here are missing the point that this is just an overview of the Sales
Actually quite the opposite, that's half of what people have a problem with. Until now, we got a detailed layout, and this article serves very little purpose and is missing important information.
#mentallypudding
Blue n Gold Eel
Posted on 09 February 17 at 05:27
Not a fan of the new layout, but then again i don't pay for pro so who cares about my opinion anyway.
What's a twip? something a wabbit is on when he wides on a twain - Elmer Fudd.
Llamaman2
Llamaman2
Posted on 09 February 17 at 06:03
I totally respect the time-consuming nature of the previous method and a desire to cut down on the workload. However, I think seeing your home currency (at least the most commonly used ones on this site) is probably one of the most important pieces of a sales page. If there was a way to automate showing multiple currencies (given that the site now pulls them in directly) I think many people would appreciate that and it would still cut down on time spent.

Also a plug for bringing back the XBLA designation. Most of the sections from previous version of sales are basically retained, as you can see which dlc have achievements or what is a bundle or not (though grouping bundles together may be nicer). But there is no easy way to differentiate between XBLA and 360 on demand games if you don't know the titles already. As someone who generally buys physical where possible, it helped to see what was basically a digital/physical split. I'm also less knowledgeable on those titles in general so it helped spotlight some I might have otherwise glossed over.
I8ITackyticsI8I
Posted on 09 February 17 at 10:58, Edited on 09 February 17 at 11:04 by I8ITackyticsI8I
Lockie said:
I think alot of people here are missing the point that this is just an overview of the Sales.

Just click on the Sales link in the first paragraph for local pricing, filtering etc. ya bunch of whiners laugh
But it's actually misleading if you're from other parts of the world too. This sale for example shows Catherine which was released worldwide - but if you click through the link then Catherine is US exclusive. If you go to the sales hub then it won't appear because it's not on sale elsewhere which could cause confusion. It's too many clicks to understand that it is for US only.

o DEEVIUS o said:
Spilner said:
TrueAchievement said:
Terrene Fire said:
Adding to the chorus that this layout isnt helpful- having Uk/Ca etc prices was the best thing, no idea what the achievement section means or is trying to accomplish.

Basically made it pointless to check TA for the sales, if I wanted to click the store page for my region I could have done that straight from Major Nelson
Just to explain the layout.

Having prices for 8 regions is a complete mess, so we are just showing the US prices to give you an idea of how much they are. To check your region you can just go to the new Xbox Sales page, where you can also see completion estimates, the average user score, filter and sort, etc etc.

The achievement icons link through to the achievement packs in each bit of content.

We will see if we can add the back compat information to the xbox 360 list.
Bad move showing only US.
If you're telling us to just use the sales page you might as well not even bother with the news post or just have the post link to it in a really lazy way.

Would have thought that 'integration' last week would have actually improved these feature and not hurt it, oh well.
Hate to agree with Spliner but he's kinda right; you may as well just have the link to the sales page alone, or have the sales page layout and region prices in the news article.
I have to agree with these guys therefore. What is the point in a US Exclusive sales article? It doesn't mean anything to anyone else. Reason being some games may be US exclusive, some prices vary wildly between different parts of the world so what may seem cheap in US may not be cheap for anyone else, and the prices don't mean anything to anyone else - just means more clicking to get to what is actually meaningful.

May as well just have an option in your settings to 'opt in' for a private message that new sales are now available with a link to the Sales hub. This would be much better in my opinion.

I appreciate the work that's gone into the sales hub and I think it's sustainable. It obviously takes a lot of manual work each week to produce sales so automating this process is a much better use of time but I think the way this information is presented going forward should be amended.
togethawiistand
Posted on 09 February 17 at 11:31
Google, Microsoft, Facebook, TrueAchievements: stop changing what already works great! Especially layouts!!!

No need to replace good old stuff with new, not-as-good stuff for the sake of constant updating.
To do or not to do. THAT is the question.
MugenKairo
MugenKairo
Posted on 09 February 17 at 12:08
Also not a fan of the new layout. I don't care how many DLC packs(??) a game has, I need to know what the cost is in $AU without having to click to a new page.
'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
Barrwg
Barrwg
Posted on 09 February 17 at 12:42
Catherine appears to be on sale in the UK store now as well for some reason. £2.24 laugh
Link;
Tandar1
Tandar1
Posted on 09 February 17 at 13:05
Onsidic said:
A legend or something to explain what all the different symbols mean on this page would be nice.
Took me a while - but i think its game, collection, currency, addons
Still no idea about the different in cups;
Black ops 3 - 2 cups then 5 cups? What?
Same.
HolyHalfDead
HolyHalfDead
Posted on 10 February 17 at 02:00, Edited on 10 February 17 at 02:30 by HolyHalfDead
If I live in Australia and there are 30 games on sale in the US and only 20 games on sale in Australia, I would much rather see the list of games on sale in my region. This is exactly what you get with Xbox Sales for Tue 07 Feb

For example Saints Row IV (AU) is not surprisingly only on sale in Australia this week.

Barrwg said:
Catherine appears to be on sale in the UK store now as well for some reason. £2.24 laugh
Link;
Yeah, Microsoft screwed up as usual, we can't blame TA for that. I'm expecting the scanners to pick that up in due course.

Tandar1 said:
Onsidic said:
A legend or something to explain what all the different symbols mean on this page would be nice.
Took me a while - but i think its game, collection, currency, addons
Still no idea about the different in cups;
Black ops 3 - 2 cups then 5 cups? What?
Same.
Most games don't come with a manual anymore. Windows used to come come with a thick book, now you get nothing. Kids of today learn by trying things out. They will click on the icons and figure out what they do. If you click on the "cups" you will find they represent the content with achievements included in a bundle. I'm old school and use a web browser that has a status bar. When I hover over a link on a web site, my status bar tells me where that link would take me. Tool tips (bubbles with text in) that pop up when you hover over an image or a link would be great, but I don't know how easy that would be to implement.
He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 10 February 17 at 03:04
Us-only pricing is fine with me..Why? Because Murika! That is why.

No deals here for me, but I like it better than Major Nelsons listing which only show the % discount and not the price.
Game more, talk less.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 10 February 17 at 05:34
Main issue for me is nothing indicating BC, as that heavily influences my purchases.

Also not a bit deal for me, but as others have said, only listing $ price is rather strange.
StanleyCup CAPS
Posted on 11 February 17 at 04:34
I agree with all the criticism of this new update.

Also, on the "latest sales" page what is the order they are listed in?? It's not alphabetical and it doesn't allow you to sort them. Very confusing.
Maesenko
Maesenko
Posted on 11 February 17 at 17:22
Guess I might as well throw in my two cents as well, yeah?

As a US-based gamer, it's convenient seeing my prices, but as a part of this community, I liked seeing the multiple price options all in one place. And I agree, the solution shouldn't be to click through for alternate prices. More clicks = worse design, generally. And I get the feeling this is not going to be as friendly to non-desktop format.

Besides that, I liked seeing the regional variants listed on one page. As some have mentioned, Catherine and Saint's Row IV, for example, have regional variants that are not shown if you only show US prices. As of now, the only way I can determine if those have sales in the new format is to change currency types, which is also the only way to see region-exclusive sales (such as Sacred 2).

A BC indicator would be very helpful. As would Discontinued/Unobtainable, the D/U actually affected some of my purchasing choices.

Not a fan of the Trophies thing, but I understand its intent. I have similar issues with the other icons. A legend would be rather convenient.

I think the Achievements column with the trophies, as it is currently, is arbitrary and could be better utilized (perhaps listing the number of achievements per pack in hyperlink format, as it is done on the Latest Sales page).

I really liked the separations of bundles, games, and DLC as it was split across platforms. It allowed me to navigate the sales in chunks, or skip sections I was uninterested in. I think I would prefer the new layout if it was still separated/organized that way (or if there was an option to sort as such), as opposed to only separated by system.

I also am unsure how the new chart plans to handle Gold/Silver discount variation. I can assume it will be shown alongside, but as of now it seems unofficial/unclear.

HolyHalfDead said:
I'm old school and use a web browser that has a status bar. When I hover over a link on a web site, my status bar tells me where that link would take me. Tool tips (bubbles with text in) that pop up when you hover over an image or a link would be great, but I don't know how easy that would be to implement.
Wait, there are web browsers that DON'T use status bars??? What kind of nonsensical foolery is this? The status bar is the only reason I knew what the icon redirects meant on this article!

Tool tips / alt text would be great, though.
"I dig my hole, you build a wall..."

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 11 February 17 at 22:32
Barrwg said:
Link;
Thanks. Instantly bought it, been waiting for this and what a bargain too. Now to just finish something for hdd space to install it and yay I can play it.
THEpaynexkiller
Posted on 12 February 17 at 01:12
Trumps America says there's no room for other currency's. laugh
matdan
matdan
Posted on 12 February 17 at 01:34
THEpaynexkiller said:
Trumps America says there's no room for other currency's. laugh
Except for rubles. wink No pesos though.
Joshi 82 AT
Joshi 82 AT
Posted on 12 February 17 at 14:18
I miss the feature to have "your" games excluded from the sales list. When I look under "main - latest sales", i see all sales. In the past I could check if I want to exclude games I already have.
If TA could add that again it would be great
Zedarboy
Zedarboy
Posted on 12 February 17 at 14:51
I don't care for this "Simple new format", the old way was much better!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.