Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: What Took So Long?

• matdanmatdan800,849
    Posted on 20 February 17 at 05:24
    Alan Wake is surprisingly absent from this, concepts surfaced in 2004 and in 2005 it was announced, then delayed for 5 years before being released in 2010.

Or even better Team Fortress 2, 7-8 years of development hell. Announced in 1999 and wasn't released until 2007.

We could also put in Prey 2, that until it's death had been floating around for a number of years and only in 2017 will a "sequel" finally occur.
  • Morpheus414Morpheus414260,408
    Posted on 20 February 17 at 06:15
    MinPin said:
    I saw the title, and knew Duke Nukem had to be #1.
    Yeah, me too. Though I'm surprised Kameo didn't make an HM. That bad boy was supposed to be an N64 game, and didn't drop until the 360. lol
  • Julz D 01Julz D 01543,967
    Posted on 20 February 17 at 06:50
    DieteticPie said:
    Is duke nukem any good?
    The load times are a bit long. Game is good enough for me though.
  • Posted on 20 February 17 at 07:28
    matdan said:
    Alan Wake is surprisingly absent from this, concepts surfaced in 2004 and in 2005 it was announced, then delayed for 5 years before being released in 2010.

Ah, thanks. I was just about to comment on Alan Wake as I knew it was a long time in the making. Wasn't sure on dates though.
  • SlabbaSlabba192,846
    Posted on 20 February 17 at 09:14
    Prey and LA Noire were great games. I also didn't mind Duke Nukem Forever, however the load screens were a real drag. It's got nothing on Duke 3D though, that was a classic!
  • z0rrofoxz0rrofox351,880
    Posted on 20 February 17 at 10:30
    JMJimmy said:
    From the article said:
    , is still considered one of the best videogame titles in history
    On what planet is RE4 one of the best in history? I doubt it would make the top 100.

Given the detail that's out there about these game developments this article is severely underdeveloped. Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea for an article, but far too many adjectives and not enough substance. cry
    It's quite subjective (like every opinion) but Resident Evil 4 won a lot of awards and praise. Just a quick google of "Resident Evil 4 best game ever" brings up multiple articles detailing why people love it.

Just because it might not scratch your top 100, doesn't mean that a lot of other people consider it one of the best

Also, I enjoyed the article. Nice length for reading between clients in work and if I want to I can go research the stuff online anyway!
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant780,055
    Posted on 20 February 17 at 10:43
    redfaceredfaceShinnizle said:
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    MugenKairo said:
    I enjoyed LA Noire, it was a great game with the exception of the completely useless collectable achievements. The rest I probably won't ever be touching.
    Useless? They had boobs! Boobs are never useless. laugh. Seriously, those collectables were great for people like me who love cleavage history.
    I think you are confusing LA Noire's collectibles with Mafia II's.
    Oops.
  • Apocalypse KaneApocalypse Kane1,412,587
    Posted on 20 February 17 at 11:26
    Wow, I played most of these but I didn't know what was behind them. redface
  • Posted on 20 February 17 at 12:25
    I enjoyed colonial marines. Duke nukes was a real let down. Looking forward to seeing him in bullett storm though
  • Posted on 20 February 17 at 12:31
    FightingMegaFoo said:
    The next TA top five should be what IS taking so long for titles like Half Life 3, Star Wars KOTOR 3, a Stargate console game, a full length Battlestar Galactica console game, a Sims 4 console port, etc.
    There isn't going to be a half life 3 everyone knows valve can only count to 2. There was a stargate game years ago but that got canned.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 20 February 17 at 13:02
    LA Noire was worth it IMO, very well made, well thought game, virtually glitchless in my experience.
    'These violent games have violent ends; And in their completion die, like gamer and achievement, Which as they kiss, consume'
  • Necromorph11Necromorph11960,014
    Posted on 20 February 17 at 13:06
    i don't know exactly how long did it take but the latest DOOM was certainly not a short development
  • Posted on 20 February 17 at 13:24
    tbh duke nukem forever would have been fine if it wasnt for the 10year long loading screens
  • Posted on 20 February 17 at 14:41
    I don't understand how all these take so long. Ubisoft has released a lot of really great games within such short time frames. I mean, look at assassin's creed syndicate, rogue, black flag and even the chronicles trilogy. Even far cry comes at a decent speed and is pretty good.

Final fantasy 15 = kill x, clear y and fetch z. Poor characters I just don't care about. The part with probably the most story given can't even be heard because the stupid devs thought it's more important to hear noctis choking on a damn dick. It's probably great if you can relate to going on stupid, long boring road trips with your Asian guy friends. Square Enix raped and defiled everything good about final fantasy.
  • Nexus GruntNexus Grunt158,778
    Posted on 20 February 17 at 14:50
    Just for the record some others that were in contention for honorable mentions:
    - Alan Wake ( 5 Years )
    - Dragon Age: Origins (5 Years)
    - Perfect Dark Zero ( 5 Years )
    - APB Reloaded ( 5 Years )
    - Fallout 3 (4 Years)

There's only so much space that we could allow for such an article so we couldn't include them all - I hope you weren't too disappointed with the ones that were left out.
  • Posted on 20 February 17 at 14:54
    ll Viper 61 ll said:
    Hate to be that guy, but left 4 dead 3
    I don't think you understand...
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy528,377
    Posted on 20 February 17 at 15:13
    z0rrofox said:
    JMJimmy said:
    From the article said:
    , is still considered one of the best videogame titles in history
    On what planet is RE4 one of the best in history? I doubt it would make the top 100.
    It's quite subjective (like every opinion) but Resident Evil 4 won a lot of awards and praise. Just a quick google of "Resident Evil 4 best game ever" brings up multiple articles detailing why people love it.
    I actually did google it the other day and read some of them. What I found was a lot of revisionist history in the newer reviews, crediting RE4 with originating features that existed long before it. Going back to the original 2005 reviews, while glowing they also highlighted many downsides including "goofy dialogue", "clumsy inventory system", "simplistic puzzles", "lacking dodge/strafe", "clipping issues", and such.

Much of the praise it gets was for what it did for RE. It made it more accessible to a wider audience by being more of an action/shooter. It took the door system from Max Payne (open, kick/shoot down, shoot through) and actually made it more cumbersome but it fit with their "context" system better. It essentially took the Final Fantasy save system (typewriters aka save spheres) which was so much better than previous RE titles. Then it took an RPG weapon economy and applied it to survival horror.

By no means am I saying it was a bad game, it was a huge accomplishment in terms of audio/visual, the boss battles were excellent, and it was a big improvement for RE. It just wasn't revolutionary and had its share of flaws.
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • Posted on 20 February 17 at 15:38
    Seems like most of these often delayed / development problem games end up with disappointment.
    "Alan Wake" should have at least been an honorable mention on this list. That too became a running joke wondering if it ever would be released. That game not only impressed when it finally came out, it exceeded expectations. It was so good in fact, I would say it is one of the top 2 games ever released for the 360.
  • FOKENWOLFENFOKENWOLFEN359,504
    Posted on 20 February 17 at 16:25
    Gearbox with the top 2? Not a coincidence.
  • Posted on 20 February 17 at 16:25
    Nexus Grunt said:
    Just for the record some others that were in contention for honorable mentions:
    - Alan Wake ( 5 Years )
    - Dragon Age: Origins (5 Years)
    - Perfect Dark Zero ( 5 Years )
    - APB Reloaded ( 5 Years )
    - Fallout 3 (4 Years)

There's only so much space that we could allow for such an article so we couldn't include them all - I hope you weren't too disappointed with the ones that were left out.
    Dragon Age was planned to take 5 years it was just slightly delayed in the end. A good new IP AAA game needs to take time, especially the first game where there is little or nothing to reuse. Bioware knew this and told us from the beginning.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.