AuthorMessage
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 05 March 17 at 07:58
There's a whole world out there and we're gonna play in it

Please click here to read the story: Second Take: Ubisoft's Open Worlds
VirusTk GaMBit
Posted on 05 March 17 at 08:25
Nice article. Very interesting to read. I am looking forward to the next one.
PurplTreeFrog
PurplTreeFrog
Posted on 05 March 17 at 09:14, Edited on 05 March 17 at 09:15 by PurplTreeFrog
I quite like Ubisoft games so I agree with much of what you say. The only thing I dont agree with is saying Skyrims world is empty. While I understand how you came to that conclusion, your argument is that Far Cry lets you hunt things that you can use to upgrade your gear. You can do exactly that in Skyrim (and Oblivion). Granted, the gear you make wont always be the best but its there. Or you can harvest plants n whatnot to make potions/poisons (which is what i tend to do) so you can play as an alchemist.
Wildlands does look pretty good though.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 05 March 17 at 09:19
Telltale is not a master of story telling imo.

Anything I've played from them literally put me to sleep.

I also enjoyed the towers in Far Cry.
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 05 March 17 at 09:21
Ubisoft open worlds used to be my drug of choice, lack of time is slowly killing that addiction though laugh
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 05 March 17 at 09:35
Ocarina of Time is one of the greatest games ever.
It is, opinion and fact, it's a masterpiece
MattiasAnderson
Posted on 05 March 17 at 09:53
DEATH CODE45709 said:
I Think the first 3 Zelda games were better than Ocarina of time.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 05 March 17 at 10:00
MattiasAnderson said:
DEATH CODE45709 said:
I Think the first 3 Zelda games were better than Ocarina of time.
Man that is some mad talk haha Majora's mask was amazing too, desperate to play breath of the wild.
The Minish Wolf
Posted on 05 March 17 at 10:09
Ubisoft worlds were great, 5 years ago
Now they have just run them into the ground.
They need to stop making worlds with nothing to do
And no, chests and other dumb meaningless collectables doesn't count as content.
DucKy BaBy
DucKy BaBy
Posted on 05 March 17 at 10:36
I'm 0laying breath of the wilds now and it makes me feel like a 5 year old boy again setting off on a new massive adventure. It's incredible.
It's not about video games. It's a feeling pervasive through all aspects of society. I'm gutted it's happened to games, but I completely expected it.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 05 March 17 at 10:40
DucKy BaBy said:
I'm 0laying breath of the wilds now and it makes me feel like a 5 year old boy again setting off on a new massive adventure. It's incredible.
Man I am very jealous lol
MugenKairo
MugenKairo
Posted on 05 March 17 at 10:47
DucKy BaBy said:
One of the few disadvantages of having a One, no Mario or Zelda games...
'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
StabaCadaver
StabaCadaver
Posted on 05 March 17 at 11:18
It's not for me. Cookie cutter is a good way to explain. Same games under new skins.
Fanta Morgana
Fanta Morgana
Posted on 05 March 17 at 12:38, Edited on 05 March 17 at 12:39 by Fanta Morgana
I think the Ubisoft games are fine by themselves, but if you play all of them it'll most likely get boring.
I would assume that Ubisoft would want you to buy all the Far Crys and Assassins Creeds and all the other, so they should be more different from each other.
Even though I liked Far Cry it felt a bit too much when I played 4 and Primal last year.
I wouldn't wanna play another one of these afterwards for some time.
Also with playing Far Cry I felt that probably urban settings work better for an open world game, so you'd have more distinct locations with certain landmark buildings and different parts of town like a financial district with high office buildings, an industrial part with factories, suburbia, ... were Far Cry can only do so much to spice up the generic forest.
One of my favorite open worlds is Burnout Paradise. Everything there feels iconic, the different parts of town have a different theme and there are so many landmarks and barely any filler to stretch the size of the open world, also there is a lot to do around every corner.
billbillbill
billbillbill
Posted on 05 March 17 at 12:41
StabaCadaver said:
It's not for me. Cookie cutter is a good way to explain. Same games under new skins.
Bingo.
Lost Legends
Lost Legends
Posted on 05 March 17 at 13:16
Having just played watch dogs 1 , the environment was great but it just felt there was too much unnecessary filler content post story completion to pad the completion time. Also they already had online integration into the main game before its sequel .
McGoohan no6
McGoohan no6
Posted on 05 March 17 at 14:35
Surely considering the site we're on, we should consider the achievements linked to these open worlds.

Particularly for completionists, open worlds represent some tedious grinding (AC: Unity's chests anyone?). Although they are great feats, and full of interesting content and explorations, they are also full of pointless fluff (you ever need as much money in AC or Far Cry as there is in chests?), artificially dragging out competition times, ruining the experience and love of the crafted environment.
Nukes A Lot 2
Nukes A Lot 2
Posted on 05 March 17 at 16:09
Right but ghost recon wildlands looks like doodoo.

For reals though, Ubi open world has had its time but I think they need to change it up.

AC has tanked (though I've never dug it), FC has really suffered, and Ghost Recon didn't need it.

Open world is synonymous to current gen and, with a few exceptions life Breath of the Wild and Horizon: Zero Dawn, is also synonymous with arbitrary. The stuff jam packed in the open experience is monotonous at best. Take Mafia III or Just Cause 3 for example. Superficially full.

Witcher III was too big, daunting even. Same with Inquisition.

Developers have to rethink the formula and tone the size down.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 05 March 17 at 16:29
Nukes A Lot 2 said:

For reals though, Ubi open world has had its time but I think they need to change it up.

AC has tanked (though I've never dug it), FC has really suffered, and Ghost Recon didn't need it.

Open world is synonymous to current gen and, with a few exceptions life Breath of the Wild and Horizon: Zero Dawn, is also synonymous with arbitrary. The stuff jam packed in the open experience is monotonous at best. Take Mafia III or Just Cause 3 for example. Superficially full.

I think you should play Watch Dogs 2.
Rista B
Rista B
Posted on 05 March 17 at 17:34
Nukes A Lot 2 said:

I didn't find the Witcher III too big, but did think that Inquisition did a poor job in giving the player good reason to explore some of the later areas. Also for every Witcher III there are ten games that are much smaller in scope so I'm okay having a variety of options in the marketplace to choose from.

I understand the criticism that some find the various worlds of Ubi too similar but I agree with the overall thrust of the article that Ubi consistently does it more consistently right than wrong.
Remember Philando Castile, a fellow gamer, a human being, Rest in Peace
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.