Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Second Take: Ubisoft's Open Worlds

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 06 March 17 at 18:02
Black Flag was a good pirate game, but it also had no business being an Assassin's Creed game. It felt like it was lightly brushed with those elements just to justify the box art. Sorta seems like a huge mistake now too, because if they sold it as a new pirate series, you know we'd have five of those by now too. They missed making another big series.
a Fi1thy Casual
Posted on 06 March 17 at 20:53
Ugh...the Division...

I know that Skyrim may have seemed "lifeless" or "empty", but The Division really did not bring much to that table either. After a while, you knew what was going to appear in what area, and it felt less like a living, breathing experience and more like waiting on a clock to count down roll. Hell, AC1 felt more "alive" than Division, and there was literally nothing to do in the open world area besides collect flags and kill Templars.

I have been a huge fan of the open world paradigm since Spider-Man 2, but a lot of games I have seen with the premise of a massive area to explore tend to fill it with a lot of dead space, or useless sprite mobs that become a minor irritant in lieu of actual game design. Oh, and glitches...lots and lots of glitches...
Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 06 March 17 at 21:17
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Black Flag was a good pirate game, but it also had no business being an Assassin's Creed game. It felt like it was lightly brushed with those elements just to justify the box art. Sorta seems like a huge mistake now too, because if they sold it as a new pirate series, you know we'd have five of those by now too. They missed making another big series.
Rumor has it we're getting one this year so all is not lost. Ubisoft has 4 AAA games left this year. South Park, AC, Far Cry, and pirate game?
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 06 March 17 at 21:26
Splinter Cell, I hope. It's been a long time, especially for them.
Ereaser NL
Ereaser NL
Posted on 06 March 17 at 23:53
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
The assassin part inside the Animus did feel tacked on. Edward's sole motive was greed, that's why he went after the observatory.

It would've been cool if Edward was considered an actual pirate (not a templar nor an assassin) and had to maintain relation between the two. Kind of like what SC: Double Agent did. But that's just an idea that I've had for a while and it wouldn't fit since all actions in the Animus can't involve choices since you're reliving someone's memories.
TheGreatKoala
TheGreatKoala
Posted on 07 March 17 at 11:55
What exactly were people expecting with the Division anyway? The "story" is that the city is dying essentially and
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

The city was NEVER going to be a bustling metropolis ffs
a Fi1thy Casual
Posted on 07 March 17 at 14:46
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Splinter Cell, I hope. It's been a long time, especially for them.
^This

Kojima showed us all that stealth could definitely be done well in an open world paradigm - really hope Ubisoft witnessed that and have something in the works with Splinter Cell as well.
Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
MaurickShepherd
Posted on 01 August 17 at 21:03
Ubisoft's open worlds continue to impress me, but it's very much so a "if it isn't broken, why fix it?" argument. On one side of the coin, I think they need to switch it up. I don't class activities that make me collect 1,000,000,000 chests like Unity as "filling the open world." There are games where there's so much filler content it actually draws me away from the game. I enjoy side quests that make me appreciate the world and its characters more, not just "go here, kill this douche, come back and I've got some money and experience points for you." The Witcher III did that perfectly. Every quest, main or side, felt purposeful. The collectibles weren't detracting but wholely rewarding.

On the other side of the coin, Ubisoft's worlds are very lively. I've always enjoyed Assassin's Creed's approach to massive crowds and blending in with the background. Activities such as (I'm going to borrow from Unity, once again) scaling towers to scan the area or murder mysteries were brilliant. Far Cry 3's side content were almost entirely devoid of repetition that annoyed me (with an exception to the completely optional "Path of the..." side quests).

Ubisoft may have a format, and it may get annoying, but it's a very solid foundation. There's no need to completely overhaul their approach to open worlds, and while I agree, not every game and its mother needs to be open world, Ubisoft continues to impress me with its understanding of immersive storytelling. Now, if only their storywriters were more talented...
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 06 January 18 at 04:31
Eury, looking back on this article, now. you were so right. AC:O was a breath of fresh air, and completely followed your suggestions in this article.

Prophet much?
Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 07 January 18 at 04:15
Ubisoft should hire me.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.