Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Street Fighter IV and More Now Backward Compatible

AuthorMessage
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 17 March 17 at 03:20
RumbleFish10 said:
Do people actually request and want this? These lists seem awfully random to me.

I'd rather see games like Dead Space 2 and Saints Row The Third become BC. I wouldn't say no to more Arkham or Metro either, even if they've been remastered already.
Microsoft has to put engineering effort into making the games backwards compatible and get publisher permission. I'm sure user feedback is taken into account, but you also have to remember that the goal is to make as many games backwards compatible is possible, so games that are easier on both the engineering and licensing fronts are going to come out first.

Fire Hawk D said:
WickedDeath said:
This shit is sucking my gaming soul right out of me. I don't care, or want, old ass games on my new system. I am tired of all the app games that liter the damn thing already. where are the NEW games? REAL GAMES?
What buffoon comes into an article about an optional program on Xbox One and complains about it? What even are you on about?
If you don't want old "ass games" why are you reading articles about backwards compatibility?
J eVeRy DaY 514
Posted on 17 March 17 at 03:35
Loved SFIV. Happy to be able to fire it up again on the One.
Tatl360
Tatl360
Posted on 17 March 17 at 03:55
I hope they bring Darkstalkers Ressurrection to the backwards list so they can fix the Youtube achievement.
Street Fighter IV is fine but playing Super and normal to me are too much so I just played Super. I've booted SF4 once when I've received my collector's edition with the ugly Crimsom Viper figure lol

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 17 March 17 at 04:09
vSully said:
o DEEVIUS o said:
Wasn't there a trick on Luxor 2 using dashboarding? Will that still work on the One?
It was actually much faster to sign out of your profile and sign back in, but either way, I imagine it would still work.

Understand, though, that even with abusing the save system like that, the related achievements are still an extreme pain in the ass and take hours and hours and hours of grinding and resetting saves in order to complete.
That's OK I wasn't seriously considering going back and completing that shit mate. Ever.
Yukiko
Yukiko
Posted on 17 March 17 at 04:25
Just got all the trophies for Nier Automata and I really wish they'd put the first Nier as a backward compatible game on One since I really want to get 1000G on it too...

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 17 March 17 at 05:42
Nothing interesting again
KinectKid333
KinectKid333
Posted on 17 March 17 at 05:46
TwistahXD said:
Luxor 2' description says at one point "Unleash the power of Isis" Yeah, don't do that
I'm pretty sure they are referring to the ancient Egyptian God, but in the unlikely case they aren't... shock
First gamer ever to be revived from the dead! Also, the ladies man... "Sup"
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 17 March 17 at 06:22
I assume he was joking. The Islamic State started getting international attention years after Luxor 2 came out.
Simm
Simm
Posted on 17 March 17 at 07:46
Awesome keep the games coming! The ones complaining about back compat need to stop. If you don't want to use the feature then don't its optional. But for most of us, we appreciate it.
GrantX360
GrantX360
Posted on 17 March 17 at 09:23
zeldafanjtl said:
Microsoft has to put engineering effort into making the games backwards compatible and get publisher permission. I'm sure user feedback is taken into account, but you also have to remember that the goal is to make as many games backwards compatible is possible, so games that are easier on both the engineering and licensing fronts are going to come out first.
Whilst this is true I think the 'emulation' of the 360 on XBO is pretty much near perfect. If you look at some of the games. Witcher 2, Halo Reach, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Gears Of War series etc. The changes are now to make a game playable its just a case of a few QA testers playing it for a few hours to look for glaring bugs. Most of the issue now I think are licensing and publishers trying to use BC games to promote new games (Like Alan Wake with Quantum Break). Nothing wrong with that. For a free service BC has already delivered. But I'd love to retire my 360. For me Prince Of Persia, Far Cry 3 and Walking Dead Telltale game (I started Season 3 but have 4 episodes to play) are the releases I want.
GremlinLord615
Posted on 17 March 17 at 14:18
I just want to be able to get achievements when playing them on the One. I know you are supposed to, buuuut it doesn't happen for me.
GremlinLord615-Always willing if you're nice.
BreakBacon
BreakBacon
Posted on 17 March 17 at 16:16
all really great games, so happy to have these backwards compatible now
Jay Insomniak
Jay Insomniak
Posted on 17 March 17 at 17:52
GremlinLord615 said:
I just want to be able to get achievements when playing them on the One. I know you are supposed to, buuuut it doesn't happen for me.
Uh.... are you... signed in? press start and back at the same time to bring up the 360 guide to make sure.
My favourite colour is red
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 17 March 17 at 18:41
GrantX360 said:
zeldafanjtl said:
Whilst this is true I think the 'emulation' of the 360 on XBO is pretty much near perfect. If you look at some of the games. Witcher 2, Halo Reach, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Gears Of War series etc. The changes are now to make a game playable its just a case of a few QA testers playing it for a few hours to look for glaring bugs.
Do you actually have any knowledge you're basing that on? Cause it sounds like you're saying "Look, a wide range of games run well, so it must actually be possible to plug any game into the software and have it work." I don't have a link handy, but I think I remember reading that just the QA process alone requires exhaustive playthroughs from testers to verify nothing is broken.

What I can tell you is that full hardware emulation of an Xbox 360 (a PowerPC processor) is simply not possible on a modern x86 processor. Emulating a different ISA with complete accuracy requires orders of magnitude more power than the machine you're trying to emulate.

Because of that I'd guess that the games aren't actually emulated; instead, they're probably recompiled from PowerPC binaries to x86 binaries. If there is an actual emulation layer, then it would have to be far from perfect and require a lot of game-specific hacks.
PainfulLegacy
PainfulLegacy
Posted on 17 March 17 at 22:21, Edited on 17 March 17 at 22:29 by PainfulLegacy
I haven't tried it yet because I don't feel like getting my 360 back out of the box and setting it up because I don't use it anymore, but is it possible to just copy games that I already have installed on my 360 HDD to a flash-drive and transfer them to my XB1 so I don't have to waste bandwidth re-downloading the same game to my XB1 to play it on backwards compatibility?
MrT820
MrT820
Posted on 18 March 17 at 00:16
SteadySphere said:
jh51681 said:
Kedrix said:
Just a note, Luxor 2 is on the Xbox Live Arcade Compilation disc(not Unplugged, the other one) which can usually be had for dirt cheap at most used shops. Now I'm not home to try it out, but it should work. FYI.
It works. Feeding Frenzy is BC on the disc too.
Yep, and Boom Boom Rocket. I put the disc in, it started to install (and I think booted up Feeding Frenzy immediately as I had that installed from EA Access I think). Not that I'm particularly psyched to play Luxor 2 and it's hard, odd numbered achievements :'(
Had to delete Feeding Frenzy to get the disc to work here, as it booted up the game and blocked the install prompt, once Feeding Frenzy was gone the install prompt appeared and all 4 BC games on the disc appeared in the queue (PacMan CE is the one not mentioned so far).
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 18 March 17 at 00:19
PainfulLegacy said:
I haven't tried it yet because I don't feel like getting my 360 back out of the box and setting it up because I don't use it anymore, but is it possible to just copy games that I already have installed on my 360 HDD to a flash-drive and transfer them to my XB1 so I don't have to waste bandwidth re-downloading the same game to my XB1 to play it on backwards compatibility?
No. When you download a game on 360 and download the same game on Xbox One, you're not downloading the same data.
tons of puppies
Posted on 18 March 17 at 00:41
Vanilla SFIV? Come on. Nobody that plays Street Fighter with regularity is going to want to boot that up again. Why not Super? It was GWG a while back.
PainfulLegacy
PainfulLegacy
Posted on 18 March 17 at 01:11, Edited on 18 March 17 at 01:13 by PainfulLegacy
zeldafanjtl said:
PainfulLegacy said:
No. When you download a game on 360 and download the same game on Xbox One, you're not downloading the same data.
Lame. Thanks for answering. What about DLC discs for X360 games will those only work on 360?, or can I port/install those to XB1 and use them with backwards compatible games?
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 18 March 17 at 02:06
PainfulLegacy said:
zeldafanjtl said:
PainfulLegacy said:
Lame. Thanks for answering. What about DLC discs for X360 games will those only work on 360?, or can I port/install those to XB1 and use them with backwards compatible games?
I think it varies somewhat by game. But as a general example, take Oblivion and the Fallout games. If you put the DLC disc in the tray, it'll download and install the entire game plus the DLC, and then to play with DLC you'd have to leave the DLC disc in. The regular game disc can only play the standard game, even if you used the DLC disc to install DLC. It's kinda weird but I think it's because on One you're always downloading 360 content from the marketplace no matter what, and physical discs just act as access tokens.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.