Game Discussion: Lies of Astaroth Forum

[Help]Tips and Advice for a newer player

AuthorMessage
marshmallowk1ng
34,516 TrueAchievement Points8 posts
Last post: 20 Mar at 00:13
Posted on 18 March 17 at 23:35
Marshmallowk1ng LOA spreadsheet

Here is a link to a google sheet I made to keep track of my relevant LOA info, if there is other info that you need to help me make the most out of my deck with the goal of advancing further in the dungeon let me know so I can add it.

I don't feel like I have enough of the "right" cards to work towards a meta kingdom/forest deck at the moment and have been trying to build the best deck I can to get as far in the dungeon as possible so I can maximize scrap chance to hopefully build a better (more current) deck sooner.

Any advice/tips are welcome, jokes, sarcasm and criticism are also acceptable.

Thanks!
Xpovos
Xpovos
159 completed games(Includes owned DLC)269,474 TrueAchievement Points982 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 16:29
Posted on 19 March 17 at 00:46
You're not doing too badly. Black Widow was a great card for me for quite a while in tackling some of the map levels. That said, you definitely are lacking some of the most obvious "good" cards to improve. You'll also be severely limited by Deck Cost for a while.

Unfortunately, there won't be a lot you can do. Much of the game is being tweaked to meet the demands placed by the top players, so you're far enough behind that there's nothing that will really help THAT much.

Take it slow and don't get too frustrated.

Spending your resources. My take, others may give better advice.

As you collect universal 5-star scraps, compose a 5-star universal card. It comes at level 10 so it's ready to evolve. Evolve your Heaven Keeper and keep pouring resources into her. It also reads like you might have 60 scraps ready for a second Heaven Keeper. Awesome if you do. If that's correct you'll need 260 universal 5-star scraps for just those two cards, though. Getting them is a grind, but if you tackle the torment maps, it can go faster.

Torment Map 1 is really quite simple, you should be able to do it if you haven't already (Ah, I see you have). Map 2 won't be much tougher, etc (Also seen that you've done). That can really speed your 5-star scrap collection process.

HK after evo costs 19. You'll likely want to build everything else around her in terms of cost.

Keep grinding the towers. It's a little bit lower xp/gold overall, but you'll gain more cards, which you still need, both as material and to expand your options. None of the ones that get played with consistently late-game currently are there, but there are stepping stones available.

Current deck advice, you're split over the factions to grab your best cards. That hurts. Your first drop will probably be Mammoth. He's about to lose most of his value. The Black Widows won't be far behind--they were best for me in Maps 8 and 9, and Blade Queen is not a great 5-star card, but she's still better than most 4-star cards. Guath is very good. Probably better than Blade Queen overall. Durahan is also quite solid as a stepping stone, and you should consider including him.

So it looks like your card base is probably pushing you to Kingdom/Hell, though that could shift on a dime depending on your next 5-star.

With the dungeon and scraps, though, you're in a better place to control your next phase than we were. The next card you're likely able to gather scraps for and want to compose is Bellona. You're probably seeing scraps for her already. She will take your deck to the next level. Also look out for Templar Archon.

I recommend keeping the 5-star scraps for the Heaven Keeper project and going for a full set of scraps from the other cards at this time. But I used universal scraps to get my first Bellona going when I did, and it was a big help to me, ensuring I made it consistently deeper in the dungeon, so it might be a good investment.
Time not important; only life important.
MemoriesOfFinal
957,054 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievement Ratio: 2.55791,224 posts
Last post: Today at 01:40
Posted on 19 March 17 at 03:55
marshmallowk1ng said:
I don't feel like I have enough of the "right" cards to work towards a meta kingdom/forest deck at the moment and have been trying to build the best deck I can to get as far in the dungeon as possible so I can maximize scrap chance to hopefully build a better (more current) deck sooner.

Any advice/tips are welcome, jokes, sarcasm and criticism are also acceptable.

Thanks!
You're not at the point where it's remotely feasible to copy any "top deck"

Focus on yourself, worry bout any meta stuff later.

Right, your best bet is more power, then synergy. In this case, if you love Heaven Keeper, you'll want to start getting runes that match Kingdom. In this case, I recommend Arctic Freeze (purple), and Permafrost (gold). Pair those 2 with Clear springs, and a 4th rune, you'll have good early support.

Don't evolve any of your cards until you are much higher level. If you evolve early, you're going to run into Cost cap really quickly. Don't compose any universal 5 star cards until you have to. You want to keep options open in case you want to go half with universals on a 5 star. (also composing costs a lot of gold)

You'll want to use your Heaven Keeper and Spring Goddess, those 2 are what will carry you through most maps early on. Throw in a few more Kingdom like your Diastat, Orient Mesmer, and Archmage. Add in your Blade Queen as well.

Keep playing, you're still in the early stages where there's a lot you can do.

You also don't need teleport cards at your point of the game
marshmallowk1ng
Posted on 19 March 17 at 04:28, Edited on 19 March 17 at 04:32 by marshmallowk1ng
Thank you for your replies and help!

If I work towards a decent Kingdom/Hell deck what runes would you suggest? permafrost/arctic freeze/frostbite/ should I bother getting avalanche initially? (it seems very situational) answered by MemoriesOfFinal while typing

Initially my would probably have a higher hell to kingdom ratio because of the cards I have access to. None of my 4* Kingdom cards outside of Titan and Archmage have seemed useful enough to level (orient Mesmer, royal guard, diastat, and arch bishop) I suppose I could get that sweet 125 att boost for HK from paper royal guard or the confusion from disOriented Mesmer But I imagine that they would more than likely be teleported/exiled/one shot/ignored by nearly everything level 50+ in the dungeon

Basically if it doesn't get me to level 60 (my next stepping stone) in the dungeon then I don't see a reason to put resources into it since I am already at mid 50s with my calico deck. I understand that this is a waiting game and I don't mind waiting to get the card scraps to compose in order to achieve that.

I am in no rush (if I was the answer would probably be $$$) I just want to make sure I am utilizing the best options I currently have to get as far as I can every day. I only recently hit the small gains wall which I was expecting.

Is there any point in evolving a 4* card to level 15+? if yes which ones? answered by MemoriesOfFinal while typing

MemoriesOfFinal said:
You also don't need teleport cards at your point of the game
Only reason I want one is that its the path of least resistance win against the 'win before round 16' (I consistently complete at round 17 which is frustrating) which is the last 3 star I need in map 3 Torment. Its not a rush just an easy fix to that situation lol

side note and final thought for this post
Not that many people seem to participate in the demon invasion event but I managed to get rank 21 during the demon invasion today running 1 HK a 1 Titan and 1 Blade Queen (~2min CD per attack), and I am new enough to this game for that to feel like an accomplishment lmao

Edit: spelling warning
marshmallowk1ng
Posted on 19 March 17 at 05:17
Is there any effective counter to thunder shield? (waiting it out before playing cards hasn't worked out very well for me lol)
MemoriesOfFinal
Posted on 19 March 17 at 07:05
marshmallowk1ng said:
Is there any effective counter to thunder shield? (waiting it out before playing cards hasn't worked out very well for me lol)
Spring Goddess has protection to counter attacks (thundershield). Other than that, no
MemoriesOfFinal
Posted on 19 March 17 at 07:20, Edited on 19 March 17 at 07:26 by MemoriesOfFinal
marshmallowk1ng said:
Thank you for your replies and help!

If I work towards a decent Kingdom/Hell deck what runes would you suggest? permafrost/arctic freeze/frostbite/ should I bother getting avalanche initially? (it seems very situational) answered by MemoriesOfFinal while typing

Basically if it doesn't get me to level 60 (my next stepping stone) in the dungeon then I don't see a reason to put resources into it since I am already at mid 50s with my calico deck. I understand that this is a waiting game and I don't mind waiting to get the card scraps to compose in order to achieve that.

I am in no rush (if I was the answer would probably be $$$) I just want to make sure I am utilizing the best options I currently have to get as far as I can every day. I only recently hit the small gains wall which I was expecting.

Only reason I want one is that its the path of least resistance win against the 'win before round 16' (I consistently complete at round 17 which is frustrating) which is the last 3 star I need in map 3 Torment. Its not a rush just an easy fix to that situation lol

side note and final thought for this post
Not that many people seem to participate in the demon invasion event but I managed to get rank 21 during the demon invasion today running 1 HK a 1 Titan and 1 Blade Queen (~2min CD per attack), and I am new enough to this game for that to feel like an accomplishment lmao

Edit: spelling warning
You'll hit 60 by actually using runes, but the only way to use runes is if you use matching cards to activate those runes.

Orient is pretty good sans the 4* hp/atk. Weaken works on everything including immune monsters and confusion will make one of their monsters useless for a turn AND attack their hero if they don't have immunity/evasion. The cure fog will help in the lower maps/floors of the game. Anything to prolong the life of Archmage/Heaven Keeper/Spring Goddess. I'd say its very similar to the 5* Red Fox.

Diastat is a self-healing ice shield monster. Other than being slow and not really a damage dealer, I can't see the harm in it. Certainly more useful than a Black Widow.

As weak as 4* monsters are long term, until you get a steady supply of 5* monsters, you have to take what you can get. You have to use 4*s so that you can stop using them once you're strong enough to find 5*. Spend money to make money kind of philosophy.

The reason you aren't winning before Round 16 is because 4 of your 9 cards currently are CD 6, which is slow as molasses. You spend more than half of those 16 rounds waiting to play something. Trim some of those cards for the level and you'll be fine. Also Spring Goddess's clean sweep will make quick work of things.

Yeah, Demon Invasions are good for gold/xp. The timing is a bit sketchy though, and outside gold/xp, there isn't much to write home to. I like to do them, but I don't mind sleeping through them either.
marshmallowk1ng
Posted on 19 March 17 at 16:24
Those reasons make sense I have adjusted my deck to:

Perma Frost lvl 4
Arctic Freeze lvl 4
Clear Springs lvl 4
Fire Forge lvl 4

Heaven Keeper lvl 10
Arch Mage lvl 10
Titan lvl 10
Diastat lvl 10
Orient Mesmer lvl 10
Spring Goddess lvl 10
Blade Queen lvl 10
Azara lvl 10 (picked her up in a chest from mt today)
Guath lvl 10
Black widow lvl 10 (will trade her as soon as I am not maxed on cost 144/144 atm)

Is Ares (I could get with a little repetitive effort via the recruitment code) a good trade for titan when I get 2 more cost? seems to have similar abilities with a lower cd

Thank you for taking the time to help me smile
xONLY INHUMANx
339,140 TrueAchievement Points1,755 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 19:48
Posted on 19 March 17 at 16:29
you have way too many different types of cards, go for ares, it's another kingdom card for the deck plus you will get 3k crystal's which will help you
MemoriesOfFinal
Posted on 19 March 17 at 21:49, Edited on 19 March 17 at 21:54 by MemoriesOfFinal
Ares is amazing minus the low hp, but it's still better than most 4*s.

Ares for Titan is a good move. Ares is faster, stronger, and more resilient. Don't get rid of Titan foever though as for some levels with Seraph/Anubis, you'll want to sub it back in as a way to fight Exile (and occasional teleport)
marshmallowk1ng
Posted on 20 March 17 at 00:13
I did 10 of the 20 (1500 of the 3k) to get scraps for heaven keeper (x2 with uni scraps eventually) when that daily pack was available, diastat came from that also. I have a bad habit of buying energy, extra turns on a thief or other things accidentally so I have the accounts ready to be used for recruitment but was planning to wait to finish the process until there's a purpose for the 1500 crystals remaining.

Using the advice given so far I was able to beat (and get the chests) up to 63 in the dungeon today smile

It will probably be unlikely that I can convey how thankful I am for the feedback and advice that's been given to me so far. I know I probably ask stupid questions or come up with unrealistic ideas and I would also like to thank you for working through that and giving solid advice tailored to my current deck situation. I don't have very much experience in the game and I have definitely undervalued certain card abilities and runes.
MemoriesOfFinal
Posted on 20 March 17 at 00:31, Edited on 20 March 17 at 00:43 by MemoriesOfFinal
gotta start somewhere, good luck! feel free to keep the questions coming
EbonHawk01
EbonHawk01
828,128 TrueAchievement PointsPreviously had a Pro Account on TrueAchievements.com433 posts
Last post: 24 Mar at 02:54
Posted on 20 March 17 at 15:47
I'm thinking of starting LOA soon myself. I am curious if spending real money on crystals actually helps with any of the achievements. How much money have you guys spent on it? I am curious how much dough I would need to spend. If it's likely to be over $500 I probably won't start it.
xONLY INHUMANx
339,140 TrueAchievement Points1,755 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 19:48
Posted on 20 March 17 at 15:51
EbonHawk01 said:
I'm thinking of starting LOA soon myself. I am curious if spending real money on crystals actually helps with any of the achievements. How much money have you guys spent on it? I am curious how much dough I would need to spend. If it's likely to be over $500 I probably won't start it.
i've got all of the achievement's besides 3 and i've spent nothing.
Xpovos
Xpovos
159 completed games(Includes owned DLC)269,474 TrueAchievement Points982 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 16:29
Posted on 20 March 17 at 19:04
I haven't spent anything, and the likelihood that the only way to speed up achievements--and even then, only some of them--is through spending a ridiculous sum. Probably on energy to get more experience per time unit then otherwise possible.

100 crystals gets you about 40 minutes worth of time. Thank cost you about a buck. To accelerate to level 100 would take (spitballing) $8000.

Buying cards with crystals would also largely be ineffective as a mechanism for achievements.

Short answer: no, I don't think buying crystals will help speed up the achievements in general.

Even shorter answer: Don't start the game!
Time not important; only life important.
HabitualNewt
HabitualNewt
201,878 TrueAchievement Points727 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 21:44
Posted on 20 March 17 at 20:16
Not sure how far youve got. But if able...good explore scraps for any beginner on maps 3+...if you can Torment 3* a map.
YNWA
HabitualNewt
HabitualNewt
201,878 TrueAchievement Points727 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 21:44
Posted on 20 March 17 at 20:19
EbonHawk01 said:
Imo....play this game at YOUR pace. Do not try to finish it overnight...august 19 my start day...still not lvl 100, and i read/ learn daily from the vast knowkedge of players here.
Prepare to mess up with cards....enhance wrong ones etc.

I cant say dont spend, but game can be enjoyable (and frustrating) w/o.
YNWA
MemoriesOfFinal
Posted on 20 March 17 at 21:20
Spending can be a big help, but it'll vary from person to person. It can help directly (but very minutely) by getting new cards to your album for collecting 400 cards. It's more indirectly beneficial by helping you obtain stronger cards at a quicker pace to conquer tougher achievements like reaching floor 100 of the dungeon.

Some players don't spend at all. Some players spend freely. The choice is yours
MemoriesOfFinal
Posted on 20 March 17 at 21:29
Oh, and if you do start the game, feel free to use someone's recruitment code. You'll get 5 magic tickets and a time traveler and they'll love you forever. (where as you don't get any starting bonus without it)
Chunkeh Munkeh
Chunkeh Munkeh
63 solutionsSite Helper1,249 posts
Last post: 21 Mar at 21:20
Posted on 21 March 17 at 20:32
Was hoping to piggyback on this as I don't really have any idea what I'm doing...

ATM my setup looks like this:

LVL27

Durahan LVL 10
Red Dragon LVL 10
Saint Hindin LVL 10
Red Fox LVL 10
Diastat LVL 10
Nosferatu LVL 10
Ares LVL 10 (just waiting for cost to increase to add him in)

I've also got 1900 diamonds from referrals and don't really know what to spend them on. I was thinking of ploughing them into the time limit packs but they'd disappear pretty quickly doing that.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.