Game Discussion: Overwatch: Origins Edition Forum

Not a MOBA

AuthorMessage
ImJustYourDaddy
411,889 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievement Site Rank: 4,643 out of 364,072304 posts
Last post: 19 Jun at 07:29
Posted on 19 March 17 at 02:21
Overwatch is definitely not a MOBA, I'd like someone to give me a valid argument as to why it is in the MOBA genre
R.I.P. our Lord and Savior Harambe
Our Afflictions
4 walkthroughs ownedTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.74902,484 posts
Last post: Today at 03:35
Posted on 19 March 17 at 05:20
You can revote soon.
Living Legends
TrueAchievements ModeratorTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.91253,346 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 22:08
Posted on 20 March 17 at 07:22
ImJustYourDaddy said:
Overwatch is definitely not a MOBA, I'd like someone to give me a valid argument as to why it is in the MOBA genre
It is a MOBA by being MP Online Battle Arena type of game. What fails it to be a complete MOBA is the elements behind it that makes a MOBA. You don't have items to be purchasing, leveling up in game, minions etc. It has the teamwork, online only MP, special events. With these elements missing it is a shooter.
Our Afflictions
4 walkthroughs ownedTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.74902,484 posts
Last post: Today at 03:35
Posted on 20 March 17 at 08:10
Living Legends said:
ImJustYourDaddy said:
Overwatch is definitely not a MOBA, I'd like someone to give me a valid argument as to why it is in the MOBA genre
It is a MOBA by being MP Online Battle Arena type of game. What fails it to be a complete MOBA is the elements behind it that makes a MOBA. You don't have items to be purchasing, leveling up in game, minions etc. It has the teamwork, online only MP, special events. With these elements missing it is a shooter.
It's a shooter.

CoD, battlefield, gears, are not MOBAs.

Gotham City Imposters wasn't a MOBA.

Overwatch isn't either.
Living Legends
TrueAchievements ModeratorTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.91253,346 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 22:08
Posted on 20 March 17 at 08:28, Edited on 20 March 17 at 08:37 by Living Legends
I clearly said it is a shooter with MOBA elements. It's missing the key foundations for why it should be listed as a MOBA

Plus all those other games have co-op and story mode (except BACK)Overwatch does not
Our Afflictions
4 walkthroughs ownedTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.74902,484 posts
Last post: Today at 03:35
Posted on 20 March 17 at 08:33
Living Legends said:
I clearly said it is a shooter with MOBA elements. It's missing the key foundations for why it should be listed as a MOBA
Wasn't disagreeing with you, just adding some more points wink
Living Legends
TrueAchievements ModeratorTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.91253,346 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 22:08
Posted on 20 March 17 at 08:41
Our Afflictions said:
Living Legends said:
I clearly said it is a shooter with MOBA elements. It's missing the key foundations for why it should be listed as a MOBA
Wasn't disagreeing with you, just adding some more points wink
You did not add any points because those games have story, co-op and MP. Overwatch is just an online arena game.
Our Afflictions
4 walkthroughs ownedTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.74902,484 posts
Last post: Today at 03:35
Posted on 20 March 17 at 08:58
Living Legends said:
Our Afflictions said:
Living Legends said:
I clearly said it is a shooter with MOBA elements. It's missing the key foundations for why it should be listed as a MOBA
Wasn't disagreeing with you, just adding some more points wink
You did not add any points because those games have story, co-op and MP. Overwatch is just an online arena game.
I did add points because those games have everything you listed in their multiplayer modes. That doesn't mean their multiplayer modes are MOBAs.

Also, GCI has no single player.

Whatever though, argue to argue
ImJustYourDaddy
411,889 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievement Site Rank: 4,643 out of 364,072304 posts
Last post: 19 Jun at 07:29
Posted on 20 March 17 at 13:21
Living Legends said:
ImJustYourDaddy said:
Overwatch is definitely not a MOBA, I'd like someone to give me a valid argument as to why it is in the MOBA genre
It is a MOBA by being MP Online Battle Arena type of game. What fails it to be a complete MOBA is the elements behind it that makes a MOBA. You don't have items to be purchasing, leveling up in game, minions etc. It has the teamwork, online only MP, special events. With these elements missing it is a shooter.
Battleborn is a MOBA that also has a campaign btw... just saying
R.I.P. our Lord and Savior Harambe
viprixx
25,988
viprixx
25,988 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievements site super-promoter108 posts
Last post: 12 May at 02:30
Posted on 24 April 17 at 02:10
Blizzard just calls Overwatch a team shooter. I could care less what genre Overwatch is.
ArkhmInmate0801
1,003,881
ArkhmInmate0801
1,003,881 TrueAchievement PointsAchievement Completion Percentage: 99.24% (Includes owned DLC) - 14 more achievements required to reach 99.3%465 posts
Last post: Today at 02:05
Posted on 27 April 17 at 20:29
If Overwatch is a MOBA, then so is the first Titanfall and the Xbox 360 version of CoD Blops 3... honestly some of these sub genre titles are dumb. You could probably argue that any actual MOBA could be part of a different pre-existing genre.
Knox
47,228
Knox
47,228 TrueAchievement Points7 posts
Last post: 13 May at 14:29
Posted on 30 April 17 at 12:20, Edited on 30 April 17 at 14:15 by Knox
ImJustYourDaddy said:
Overwatch is definitely not a MOBA, I'd like someone to give me a valid argument as to why it is in the MOBA genre
Overwatch is team-based online multiplayer first-person shooter like for example Team Fortress 2.
Knox
47,228
Knox
47,228 TrueAchievement Points7 posts
Last post: 13 May at 14:29
Posted on 30 April 17 at 20:05
Overwatch is team-based online multiplayer first-person shooter like for example Team Fortress 2.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.