Site Help Forum

Got something you don't understand? Need to know how something works? Ask here and we'll do our best to help you

Does TA Score Change As More People Get Achievements

AuthorMessage
Phoenixia1177
55,490 TrueAchievement Points2 posts
Last post: 20 Mar at 09:54
Posted on 20 March 17 at 07:15
Let's say that 1% of players got achievement X for game Y and I have that achievement. If, later, say months down the road, 50% of players have achievement X, will my TA score decrease?

In short, is the TA value of an achievement I have fixed at the time of acquisition or dependent on the current value?
Yazite
Yazite
TrueAchievements Moderator210,820 TrueAchievement Points5,643 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 17:47
Posted on 20 March 17 at 08:01, Edited on 20 March 17 at 08:01 by Yazite
Yep. TA score changes based on how many people have unlocked the achievement. The equation is Base Gamerscore multiplied by TA ratio. The ratio displays the rarity of an achievement. Low ratio is common, high ratio is less common. Good examples:

Halo: The Master Chief CollectionYour Journey BeginsThe Your Journey Begins achievement in Halo: The Master Chief Collection worth 5 pointsComplete a campaign mission or a match of multiplayer.

Halo: The Master Chief CollectionMonopolizedThe Monopolized achievement in Halo: The Master Chief Collection worth 345 pointsHalo 2: Complete all Halo 2 Legendary campaign missions in under 3 hours.
The strongest stars have hearts of Kyber.
Phoenixia1177
55,490 TrueAchievement Points2 posts
Last post: 20 Mar at 09:54
Posted on 20 March 17 at 09:54
Thank you, but that wasn't my question.

I am asking if your TA score changes for an achievement you have if the TA score for the achievement changes or if it is fixed at the value it held when you got it.

If 1% of gamers have X today, but in a month 95% have it, then it will be worth more today than next month. So, if I acquire no new achievements, will my TA score be lower next month than it is today if I got X today?

For example:
If I got Monopolized, right now, it would add 345 points to my TA score. If, within the next month, the % of gamers that have Monopolized goes from 1% to 50%, will I still be receiving the 345 points from it, or will its value have gone down (despite that I earned it when it was worth 345 points)?
ChinDocta
ChinDocta
TrueAchievements Game Info Editor444,796 TrueAchievement Points963 posts
Last post: Today at 04:20
Posted on 20 March 17 at 09:56
Yes, your TA score for any given achievement is the score that it currently has not the score it had when you earned the achievement.
Yazite
Yazite
TrueAchievements Moderator210,820 TrueAchievement Points5,643 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 17:47
Posted on 20 March 17 at 09:59
Yes, your total TA score changes depending on how your unlocked achievements change in TA value. It is never fixed.
The strongest stars have hearts of Kyber.
Skeptical Mario
TrueAchievement Ratio: 2.2780Achievement Completion Percentage: 74.67% (Includes owned DLC) - 26 more achievements required to reach 75%2,107 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 22:03
Posted on 22 March 17 at 19:16
As an additional note, the decrease in TA value over time is called decay. An increase in value, while not as common, is called inflation. Achievements are also referred to as inflated if their ratio is perceived to be higher than it should be.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.