Game Discussion: Clicker Heroes Forum

Clicker Heroes Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Posted on 29 March 17 at 11:12
Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
Posted on 29 March 17 at 21:16
Za Pantsupati has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Za Pantsupati has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Za Pantsupati
Za Pantsupati
Posted on 29 March 17 at 21:19, Edited on 30 March 17 at 00:16 by Za Pantsupati
There is absolutely ZERO action in this game. Literally the only time you directly attack is by pressing the X button. You never move a character or anything like that to warrant an Action tag. The game is an "Idle RPG" which means the game mostly plays itself based on how you've set it up. You will need to recruit and level up your heroes, which unlock different skills to use. You will need to purchase "ancients" which give passive bonuses, and you will find "relics" that further help your character.

I would suggest Role Playing.
ChinDocta
ChinDocta
Posted on 29 March 17 at 23:04
Certainly not simulation. Given the definition of simulation
Simulation games attempt to accurately replicate some current, or potential future, aspect of real life. Often the player is tasked with managing or caring for a system, although other tasks, such as driving or flying, may be encapsulated.
I don't see how it could fit.
Za Pantsupati
Za Pantsupati
Posted on 29 March 17 at 23:39
I guess by that definition maybe not. Just RPG then.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 30 March 17 at 00:03
Definitely not Simulation.
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 30 March 17 at 17:39, Edited on 30 March 17 at 18:49 by misfit119
It is kind of a sim but not under the definitions that TA has applied. So really it's just a mobile phone, stripped down RPG brought to consoles. Action most assuredly doesn't apply. I turn the game on and the only "action" I have is buying upgrades since I'm running an idle, no click build.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
I8ITackyticsI8I
Posted on 30 March 17 at 23:00
I'd say action. I've clicked nearly 450,000 times in 2 weeks and you constantly slay monsters. I also think RPG applies though as you constantly level up abilities to progress. So a mix of the two.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 30 March 17 at 23:28
I8ITackyticsI8I said:
I'd say action. I've clicked nearly 450,000 times in 2 weeks and you constantly slay monsters. I also think RPG applies though as you constantly level up abilities to progress. So a mix of the two.
This is not an Action RPG.
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 31 March 17 at 00:26
If all it takes to be considered an action game is pressing a single button constantly then you open the doors to lots and lots of mis-genre assignments. Fallout Shelter is an action game because you press lots of buttons. Plants vs Zombies? Hell you need to respond fast sometimes. Action. Beyond Eyes? You're walking around. That's action.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 31 March 17 at 01:39
misfit119 said:
If all it takes to be considered an action game is pressing a single button constantly then you open the doors to lots and lots of mis-genre assignments. Fallout Shelter is an action game because you press lots of buttons. Plants vs Zombies? Hell you need to respond fast sometimes. Action. Beyond Eyes? You're walking around. That's action.
The Walking Dead? Well you get to move your cursor around some and press a couple buttons every once in awhile

ACTION PACKED!
FFX Brotherhood
Posted on 31 March 17 at 04:14
I actually mentioned this thread in a party chat and my friend suggested it has management elements due to having to manage your set up and build, consider the most efficient means and method. I think this is a case where it's just it's own genre of game that also encompasses games like Cookie Clicker and we don't have enough of them on XB1 to warrant giving them it's own genre.

I can't really see any action here beyond the X button and the A button when selecting items in menu, RPG is probably the closest but I feel weird acknowledging it as an RPG.
I do like it when the red stuff comes out.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 31 March 17 at 04:20
FFX Brotherhood said:
I actually mentioned this thread in a party chat and my friend suggested it has management elements due to having to manage your set up and build, consider the most efficient means and method. I think this is a case where it's just it's own genre of game that also encompasses games like Cookie Clicker and we don't have enough of them on XB1 to warrant giving them it's own genre.

I can't really see any action here beyond the X button and the A button when selecting items in menu, RPG is probably the closest but I feel weird acknowledging it as an RPG.
Management is the only thing I can see it as, but that need to be separate from Simulation-Management. Or Construction/Management.

I guess it's called a "idle RPG" but in terms of TA genre definitions, and really RPGs in general, it shouldn't be classed as one.
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 31 March 17 at 04:28
Management would work but, as mentioned, that's carrying other baggage currently. That means RPG is basically all that's left.
Stevo6483
Stevo6483
Posted on 31 March 17 at 10:43
I don't think this should be fall into the RPG category. Say you hadn't heard of this and decided to pick it up just based on it being an RPG. You'd be sorely disappointed.
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
FFX Brotherhood
Posted on 31 March 17 at 17:48
Stevo6483 said:
I don't think this should be fall into the RPG category. Say you hadn't heard of this and decided to pick it up just based on it being an RPG. You'd be sorely disappointed.
It is free, so it's not like you'd feel disappointed money was spent on it. The developers refer to it as an Idle RPG but I'm aware TA has sometimes foregone the definitions developers give because they don't fit with our definitions.

Maybe Management/RPG because if you look at any other RPG you never really see management on there; so maybe it would prompt people to ask why it's considered management and check out what the game is about more? I really don't know
I do like it when the red stuff comes out.
RBR Arcade
RBR Arcade
Posted on 31 March 17 at 19:09
It's "That Clicky Game" genre. Just stick it with the FPS games. (Maybe a sniper will kill that bee. 🐝)
I8ITackyticsI8I
Posted on 31 March 17 at 23:38, Edited on 31 March 17 at 23:39 by I8ITackyticsI8I
It's a definite RPG. Just not a conventional one. Many of the genres have 'baggage' which is the problem when categorising a game like this. It doesn't fit nicely into any current genre.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 01 April 17 at 03:10
It has 0 story elements. Leveling doesn't equal RPG.
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 01 April 17 at 04:03
Rpg is a theme here, not the genre...

If the heroes had been chefs, and the monsters had been vegetables, but the rest of the game had been the same, noone would ever have suggested rpg.

Even though i dont want it there....if you look at the sites description of genres, strategy fits best, as you atleast have the resourcemanagement..
I would much rather have a clicker genre added though..there should be enough games to warrant that now.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.