Game Discussion: The Orange Box

The Orange Box Multi-Genre Discussion

• ClownTasticClownTastic719,147
    Posted on 02 March 18 at 04:40Permalink
    The Orange Box itself isn't a game.
  • AwooAwoo1,492,055
    Posted on 02 March 18 at 10:28, Edited on 02 March 18 at 10:35 by AwooPermalink
    If it wasn't, we may as well separate the achievements from each game included into their own lists and calculate them each as a different game. It's obviously one game as far as Microsoft and all our statistics are concerned. Some seriously unnecessary mental gymnastics going on here when the actual solution is so very simple.

I mentioned Abo Khashem mostly as a joke, but I do recall seeing the excuse of not wanting to make the genre box too "messy" in this thread, which is clearly a load of crap when we can apparently have five genres on one game, but not 3-4 on The Orange Box. Honestly I think we should just scrap this damn Collection genre altogether, it only causes problems.
    What can change the nature of a man?
  • matdanmatdan689,875
    Posted on 02 March 18 at 11:36, Edited on 02 March 18 at 11:36 by matdanPermalink
    ClownTastic said:
    The Orange Box itself isn't a game.
    So it's an app then? Thanks, was confused.
    Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon, Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath!
  • AwooAwoo1,492,055
    Posted on 02 March 18 at 12:38Permalink
    That works for me! Make it an app, no need for a genre anymore. You know, it kind of is an app, just a hub service to let you play Valve games. Makes perfect sense!
    What can change the nature of a man?
  • Vitiated1Vitiated11,342,548
    Posted on 11 March 18 at 00:01Permalink
    With the new team in place I decided to revisit this, as I feel the same way that the community primarily does. Misfit said he felt neutral on the subject and was fine with the change, while Allgo fully supported it altogether. With that FPS has been added. Since 4/5 games included are FPS titles titles and the 5th game has FPS elements, we feel as if the genre has enough of a presence across the entire game to be included.

This is not the norm. Collection titles are usually either all one genre (Master Chief, Ezio) or all different genres (Game Room, Rare Replay) so to have something that is 90% one genre and 10% something else is very unusual. This will likely stand as an exception to the Collection rule, and I'd like to thank the community as a whole for being vocal about having this game examined.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 March 18 at 00:50Permalink
    Any chance you could revisit this one as well since it's 5/6?

The Disney Afternoon Collection Genrevotes
    The people's champion! Well done for an amazing run, and for croaking with dignity. #TeamSporl4lyf - MalibuStacey85
  • Vitiated1Vitiated11,342,548
    Posted on 11 March 18 at 01:26Permalink
    I'll bring it up with the team, thanks for mentioning it.
  • matdanmatdan689,875
    Posted on 11 March 18 at 03:46Permalink
    Thanks, happy to see it as a shooter again.
    Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon, Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath!
  • halohogghalohogg95,611
    Posted on 26 April 18 at 13:29Permalink
    Vitiated1 said:
    With the new team in place I decided to revisit this, as I feel the same way that the community primarily does. Misfit said he felt neutral on the subject and was fine with the change, while Allgo fully supported it altogether. With that FPS has been added. Since 4/5 games included are FPS titles titles and the 5th game has FPS elements, we feel as if the genre has enough of a presence across the entire game to be included.

This is not the norm. Collection titles are usually either all one genre (Master Chief, Ezio) or all different genres (Game Room, Rare Replay) so to have something that is 90% one genre and 10% something else is very unusual. This will likely stand as an exception to the Collection rule, and I'd like to thank the community as a whole for being vocal about having this game examined.
    4/5 = 20%/80% not 90%/10%. Just sayin'.
    Gamers <> math.
  • EYEHUNTER 42EYEHUNTER 42540,845
    Posted on 27 April 18 at 11:45Permalink
    halohogg said:
    Vitiated1 said:

4/5 = 20%/80% not 90%/10%. Just sayin'.
    Gamers math.
    Portal is 50% FPS, 50% puzzle. HL2 and TF2 are 100% FPS. So that's 450%/5 = 90%
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.