Game Discussion: Ziggurat Forum

Ziggurat Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 29 March 17 at 23:29
Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
Information Posted on 29 March 17 at 23:40
Swinny Costello has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Swinny Costello has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Swinny Costello
Posted on 30 March 17 at 00:22, Edited on 30 March 17 at 00:56 by Swinny Costello
Ziggurat features virtually no elements of the RPG genre, beyond basic thematic and artistic trappings like wands and spells

It is an action rogue-like along the lines of a simplified FPS Binding of Isaac, where you clear rooms on randomly generated floors, pick up keys to open doors, with permadeath ending each non-successful run.

There is a very simplistic progression system for each temporary character, allowing you to choose a weapon/spell boost each level - but beyond that, the game features no character customisation. In that essence, the game plays like a faster Crypt of the Serpent King - although naturally much better.

If the Dungeon Crawler genre can be attributed to non-RPG titles, then I propose the following genre tagging:

- First Person Shooter
- Dungeon Crawler
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 02 April 17 at 05:57
I'm just going to leave it as an FPS. It doesn't seem to have anything that would define it as a DC game as there is on either loot or character progression.
Swinny Costello
Posted on 02 April 17 at 15:01
ClownTastic said:
I'm just going to leave it as an FPS. It doesn't seem to have anything that would define it as a DC game as there is on either loot or character progression.
Good call.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 24 April 17 at 19:02
I agree with Clown on this.
Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
Information Posted on 27 June 17 at 06:24
ChinDocta has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Roguelite. Random layout, enemies, etc. Random bosses from a pool for the levels. Persistance comes in the form of unlocking characters and items for future playthroughs.
DANIELJJ14
DANIELJJ14
Posted on 27 June 17 at 12:21
Yep 100% agree.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 27 June 17 at 15:25
After footage review, I agree that it should apply. Recommendation:
Add: Roguelite
Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
Swinny Costello
Posted on 28 June 17 at 03:58
Didn't realised that was now a genre.

I definitely agree with this.
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 28 June 17 at 04:09
Roguelite has been added
Information Posted on 14 August 19 at 14:55
Finnan has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
This game, in my opinion, has enough story and character progression to be considered an RPG, though definitely of the quickplay roguelite variety. I would put the gameplay (though definitely FPS in nature) very much in line with the quickplay RPG elements found in half-minute hero, which is considered wholly an RPG game. I agree with the roguelite and FPS types, but would also include RPG for this game.
Finnan
Finnan
Posted on 14 August 19 at 14:57
also, as the post above me states it is very much like a fast version of Crypt of the Serpent King, i'd point out that that game is also classed completely as RPG.
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 15 August 19 at 01:20
Absolutely nothing about this game is RPG....
Finnan
Finnan
Posted on 15 August 19 at 01:27
then the same should be said about crypt of the serpent king and half minute hero...
KasugaSama
KasugaSama
Posted on 20 August 19 at 11:04
The team thinks that the current genres for this game fit it best, and that RPG would not fit it.

As for the other 2 games you'll mentioned, we'll discuss those, too.
Everything you do is a balloon.
Finnan
Finnan
Posted on 20 August 19 at 13:03
Sounds fair. Will the results of that discussion be placed here or on their respective pages?
KasugaSama
KasugaSama
Posted on 20 August 19 at 13:14
I'll post them here.
KasugaSama
KasugaSama
Posted on 20 August 19 at 19:40
The team discussed both games you've mentioned.

Serpent King isn't.. Advanced enough in gameplay for many genres, it's a bit of a barren one, so we've decided on Action for that.

Half Minute Hero is a much weirder one, strange game to genre, but we feel like Role-Playing and Real Time work best for what it is.
Finnan
Finnan
Posted on 20 August 19 at 19:53
fair enough guys, thank you very much for your consideration
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.