TA Playlist Forum

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

Alan Wake Discussion - Spoilers

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 31 March 17 at 16:29, Edited on 04 April 17 at 00:37 by N0T PENNYS B0AT
More detailed and specific questions and comments go here. Treat this thread like everyone here is okay knowing and discussing anything about Alan Wake. No need for spoiler tags.

Some prompts to help kickstart some conversation. Remember, especially valuable or insightful discussion will be featured and credited on the podcast.

What is your history with Alan Wake? When did you first play it? On what difficulty did you play it?

What do you think of Alan as a character? What about Barry or Alice or some of the other secondary characters? Is Alan a good person? Is Barry more than comic relief? Is Alice more than a damsel in distress?

How do you like (or dislike) the TV series presentation? The licensed music, the episodic recaps, the cliffhangers, etc.

Thematically, if you've finished the game, what do you think it's saying, if anything?

The DLC episodes, of which there are two, are free for everyone at this point. If you're playing them this month too, what do you think of them?

How would you feel about an Alan Wake proper sequel?

What's your opinion of the setting and atmosphere?

Remedy cites LOST and Twin Peaks as two major influences on Alan Wake. What other influences do you sense in the game?

With so many dangling threads at the conclusion of the game, did Remedy know where they were going with the story?

In what ways, if any, is Alan Wake innovative as a game? In what ways is it lacking and/or disappointing?

What's your favorite moment or episode of the game?

If there is an Alan Wake sequel, should it be truly episodic like a Telltale game?

It's now seven years old. Has Alan Wake aged well?

What's your opinion of the gameplay? Is it repetitive, and if so, does it work anyway? Is it thrilling throughout?

If the only way the Alan Wake series could continue was through some other medium, say TV or comics, would you want to see more of the IP in those forms or would you rather it stayed solely a game forever with just one XBLA semi-sequel and multiple cliffhangers?
ChewieOnIce
ChewieOnIce
Posted on 01 April 17 at 08:13
That soundtrack though. I remember really enjoying the game on my first playthrough, but particularly at the end of Episode 3 when the Nick Cave song kicked in, I knew I was in love.
@ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
Psparky27
Psparky27
Posted on 01 April 17 at 09:46, Edited on 01 April 17 at 09:49 by Psparky27
Think I may go back to Resident Evil.

Did the first achievement on the first DLC and the bit under the church was not much fun. Plus with all the flying shit thrown at you with only a roll to avoid them which doesn't seem to consistently make a difference.

Didn't help a few times when I died the game got stuck on the loading screen.

Just not feeling this game after playing The original Resident Evil Remake :)
Too many Irons in the fire !
steviep922
steviep922
Posted on 01 April 17 at 09:46
Agreed. The soundtrack is sublime. Just started a nightmare difficulty run through after not playing the game for 7 years. I'd forgotten how haunting the musical segments are. They really add to the atmosphere and enhance the whole experience.
Supaduparich
Supaduparich
Posted on 01 April 17 at 10:46
Great game. Just played through last week for a third time and still holds up. Going to start a nightmare playthrough this month. Well done Remedy Games. Here's hoping for a proper sequel one day.
You put the lime in the coconut...
TVippy
TVippy
Posted on 01 April 17 at 13:25, Edited on 01 April 17 at 13:27 by TVippy
The game is very uneven, you can feel it survived the development hell. It's definitely not "bad", but I felt some unsatisfiying feeling after I've beat it, as if the devs wanted to say way more, but couldn't due to millions of reasons. It had its share of gameplay moments though - the rock concert one def sticks out.

The gameplay itself is not satisfying in itself, because it completely lacks any depth. And you get bored and annoyed by the constant Alan narration (all in one tone of voice through the entire game) pretty quickly.

P.S. And I don't even remotely remember it having any soundtrack, let alone a good one. Need to replay it?
I don't play games very often. :( If you have a close GamerScore, add me! We'll compete. :)
WEBHEAD 7
WEBHEAD 7
Posted on 01 April 17 at 17:04
I suggested to someone in one of the earlier threads that they watch a blind Let's Play series of Alan Wake since they were unable to actually play the game themselves this month. If anyone else is interested in doing that, here's one I'd recommend:

Mr. Odd Plays Alan Wake: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj_Goi54wf0ed5y6N17M2D...

I don't know the guy personally but he gives good Let's Play smile
Sethoz
Sethoz
Posted on 01 April 17 at 18:47
The soundtrack is one of its many highlights and one of the few games where I downloaded songs from it. Now a big Poets of the Fall fan, a band I would never have come across without Alan Wake, which was my first Remedy game.
SurplusToaster
Posted on 01 April 17 at 19:44
I've been wanting to go back and play it again on Nightmare. Seems like as good as time as any. I wish it was a game I played when it came out but seemed to miss it for some reason.
earlofillusion
Posted on 01 April 17 at 19:53
I have to have played Alan Wake to completion about... ten times now? Been at least four years since my last playthrough, though, and I'm hoping this Playlist concept is enough to get me to finally finish the game off. Easily one of my favorite games, and I find something new each time I play it.

The soundtrack is fantastic too, to add to what's already been stated. I would have never heard Poe's 'Haunted', despite the artist being the sister of one of my favorite authors! And the same goes for Poets of The Fall with 'War'. I just... I just really like this game, okay?
TVippy
TVippy
Posted on 01 April 17 at 20:05, Edited on 01 April 17 at 20:05 by TVippy
So, I'll start reviewing laugh the game:

My assessment of the game straight from 2010! Time sure flies:

Stats:
-Time is difficult to estimate... took me about 10-15 hours (pretty long for this genre),
-Normal Difficulty,
-Thermoses found ~ 75/100.

Score: 8.5/10.

The game is great, but the plot I did not like very much. You can see very clearly what 5 years of development have been spent on, the game is highly polished, it has a lot of content of all kinds, everything looks beautiful, expensive. The story is not for everybody. It would be nice to beat the 2 DLC's {ed.: never gotten around to it}. The gameplay is good, it's actually hard to find any flaws in it... maybe a couple more types of weapons would be nice.

As it stands, it has: a good soundtrack {ed.: definitely don't remember liking the music cry in this game}, voice actors doing a good job, excellent graphics, a wide variety of landscapes/locations etc.

Talking about the minuses, only the plot comes to mind. {ed.: which I admit to not really understanding at the time!}
Not sure I agree with myself too much nowadays, definitely need to replay it to say for sure.
I don't play games very often. :( If you have a close GamerScore, add me! We'll compete. :)
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 01 April 17 at 20:28
earlofillusion said:
I have to have played Alan Wake to completion about... ten times now? Been at least four years since my last playthrough, though, and I'm hoping this Playlist concept is enough to get me to finally finish the game off. Easily one of my favorite games, and I find something new each time I play it.

The soundtrack is fantastic too, to add to what's already been stated. I would have never heard Poe's 'Haunted', despite the artist being the sister of one of my favorite authors! And the same goes for Poets of The Fall with 'War'. I just... I just really like this game, okay?
House of Leaves!
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 02 April 17 at 05:14
It didn't occur to me across my numerous previous playthroughs but playing it now, Alan feels really slow. I know people have issues with him for his poor stamina but he's also just not very quick, though in a meta sense I do love any third-person game where the sprint button isn't a face button, so I can keep control of both sticks. That's drives me crazy for games like Batman and The Witcher.
WEBHEAD 7
WEBHEAD 7
Posted on 02 April 17 at 05:35
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
It didn't occur to me across my numerous previous playthroughs but playing it now, Alan feels really slow. I know people have issues with him for his poor stamina but he's also just not very quick, though in a meta sense I do love any third-person game where the sprint button isn't a face button, so I can keep control of both sticks. That's drives me crazy for games like Batman and The Witcher.
I like that he's kinda slow though! He's a writer. Like me, he sits on his ass at a desk to make his living, and we can only haul our asses so fast, so long... which is not very, laugh

Reminds me of another of my favorite game heroes, Isaac Clark of Dead Space. He's not a badass action hero, at first. Blue collar guy who finds himself thrust into an extraordinary situation, unprepared and under equipped. Die Hard style
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 02 April 17 at 06:05
Oh for sure, it makes sense. That's one of the things I love about certain games, when they give us everyday people as protagonists and don't break that immersion. In that way Wake succeeds. Though they also make him out to be a great shot with several guns and that's not very realistic for him, haha. I can justify it a little if I pretend he's skilled with a firearm thanks to his research as a crime novelist.
matdan
matdan
Posted on 02 April 17 at 10:34
As I am playing through the nightmare difficulty, I notice that while the game hasn't aged well the dialog is still something special. The taken constantly goading you and use the personality of the host to threaten you, makes the game more enjoyable.
Flook666
Flook666
Posted on 02 April 17 at 14:25
I knew when playing this that it took a lot of inspiration from Twin Peaks, but having recently rewatched the series I can now appreciate just how much both this and Deadly Premonition take from that slice of Lynch pie!

Highly recommend Twin Peaks to anybody who enjoys the story of Alan Wake and hasn't seen it yet, especially the younger players (when I say younger, I mean younger than my generation...I'm about to hit 40...*gulp*...)
Let's go Mr. Driver!
Dread Reaver
Dread Reaver
Posted on 02 April 17 at 21:20
Fantastic game, i think i might start my nightmare run through, maybe...

I loved the music so much that i also gave it top spot in an article I wrote for TrueAchievements several years ago :-) The TA Top Five: Soundtracks
BetaSigX20
BetaSigX20
Posted on 03 April 17 at 15:07
Dread Reaver said:
Fantastic game, i think i might start my nightmare run through, maybe...

I loved the music so much that i also gave it top spot in an article I wrote for TrueAchievements several years ago :-) The TA Top Five: Soundtracks
+1 for the soundtrack. I'd put "The Poet and the Muse" up against Portal's "Still Alive" for best song ever made specifically for a video game. It's been several years since I played the game (just starting it again so I can follow along with the discussion) but I still remember that song.
imperiumSG
imperiumSG
Posted on 03 April 17 at 16:10
should be fun to go back to this game. only played on pc before.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.