Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Hasbro Family Game Night Server Closure

• StarshadeFPSStarshadeFPS564,098
    Posted on 05 April 12 at 22:45
    EA could care less about achievements...

Btw EA just won the america worst company award. Which should give them a clue.
    www.lamargames.nl
  • Posted on 06 April 12 at 01:21, Edited on 09 April 12 at 21:10 by Chakaal Starr
    matdan12 said:
    NFS is older than Test Drive not sure what your talking about there.
    The point of that was really about why a company might want to protect their code, but if you didn't know, Test Drive 1 by Accolade came out in 1987, the first NFS was 1994.

Wikipedia isn't necessarily the best source, but it does has a decent enough chart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_Drive_(series)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_speed_series

matdan12 said:
    Why are we bring up Activision in this? Despite their poor treatment of customers they've kept multiple CoD games servers up, all 8 of them and EA can't keep more than 1 sport sequel alive culling the rest.

I don't really know why you support them as their logic is non-existant people still play Fifa 2010 as much as its newer sequel, why should one have to spend more money towards a sequel when they're happy with the one they've got.
    You don't have to buy the new game, they work fine locally. The packaging warns that some portions of the game won't always be available. If a non sustainable amount of people are playing it online, it isn't much different than MS turning off the XBOX 1 servers.

matdan12 said:
    Besides most everyday customers aren't like people on here and don't read the fine print and end up buying a game with no MP support. I know loads of Ubisoft, Activision, Infinity Ward and other gaming companies that keep almost all their games online even if they're dead online.
    Many of those customers don't care if there is online as well, whose fault is it when someone doesn't research a product before purchasing it? Especially when they are buying at a discount, games with shutdown servers aren't 60 bucks anymore.

Following what loads of other companies doing something isn't necessarily a good business strategy. Although, EA would stand to make a lot of money if they started charging for subscriptions like Activision so that you don't wait a month for maps and can look at stats on a webpage.

matdan12 said:
    EA's goal is not about the consumer its about the money if people like you continue to be ignorant to it you're going to get yourself screwed. Bothered to see some of their latest pricing of DLC? I'd like you to argue their reasons for that.
    I am pretty aware of dlc costs. ME3 has one coming out that is free, the rest don't seem too out of line with the competition. Their reason for charging what they do for DLC, is because people are willing that price. This is the same reason all DLC has been rising. I would much sooner DLC be cheaper, and will wait for sales (or live without) if something is above my desired pricepoint.

matdan12 said:
    I notice you likened older EA games to CoD WaW unlike CoD they aren't infested with hinfected lobbies besides the obvious that M$ are always banning players for hosting infected lobbies. I noticed BF2:MC was stilled played fairly by the community and everyone was not being total jack-asses like CoD. Another one skate. what was left of its community after EA mauled the Reel servers were yes much more skilled than most new players that was not because of hacks you lots of legit play time. If EA had the logic to shutdown unfair games then BF3 would be shutdown.
    It still comes down to how many are playing them. WaW is a good example what can happen when a server essentially stays alive without dev maintenance/policing. Maybe you should be playing firing up your favourite games to get another unique user signature on them. I have been playing a bit a Rock Band 1 to help there.

matdan12 said:
    Online passes are a relatively new thing and Burnout Revenge, BF2MC, skate., Army of Two, Prostreet were all waaaaaaaaay before that and had nothing to do with the online passes they are just unfortunately victims of a more brutal management (i.e kill the classic games which made EA in the next gen.)
    I really like Burnout Revenge, but I can't say I helped keep the multiplayer numbers up. I got distracted by the many racing games out since then that I have. It's funny though, a couple games I wanted to get back to were PES 2010 and Def Jam Rapstar, both Konami games with server shutdowns.
  • Posted on 09 April 12 at 01:17
    Question: Is this just for the Arcade Hasbro Family Game Night or the Retail version as well?
    "Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permitted"
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 09 April 12 at 02:47
    knight0fkh0nshu said:
    Question: Is this just for the Arcade Hasbro Family Game Night or the Retail version as well?
    retail just has most the dlc on the disk. So yes it is
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,007,922
    Posted on 09 April 12 at 03:13
    knight0fkh0nshu said:
    Both are the same thing, play with each other, and have the same achievement list. The physical disc is just several of the games in physical format
  • Posted on 10 April 12 at 02:16
    if the game is shutting down servers does that mean they pull games downloads off to i still need to buy seperate games for this that i did not get on disc
    zapitto
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,007,922
    Posted on 10 April 12 at 03:08
    Zapitto said:
    if the game is shutting down servers does that mean they pull games downloads off to i still need to buy seperate games for this that i did not get on disc
    9 times out of 10, shutdown servers still have the games available for purchase. Purchasing and downloading games is always on Microsoft's side, they don't let publishers / developers handle that. Unless Microsoft shuts down their own servers, these things will stay up until licensing issues arrive.
    Posted on 10 April 12 at 03:56
    alklein92201 said:
    Zapitto said:
    9 times out of 10, shutdown servers still have the games available for purchase. Purchasing and downloading games is always on Microsoft's side, they don't let publishers / developers handle that. Unless Microsoft shuts down their own servers, these things will stay up until licensing issues arrive.
    I've yet to see any license issue.
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,007,922
    Posted on 10 April 12 at 04:09
    Doom, Marvel: UA DLC, Joust / Robotron, and many others. Mostly arcade games. 80-90% of delisted XBLA games are due to licensing
    Posted on 10 April 12 at 04:26
    I though you meant license as in the game purchase license.
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,007,922
    Posted on 10 April 12 at 04:32
    Eskobar Returns said:
    I though you meant license as in the game purchase license.
    Oh god that would suck
  • NickHawkeyeNickHawkeye189,440
    Posted on 12 April 12 at 12:49
    how did i miss this news story?? anyway hit me up if you still need this achievement. I need it but i'm willing to help people get it before the servers close. and the description says "complete" a game so i don't think winning is necessary.
    Posted on 12 April 12 at 14:14, Edited on 12 April 12 at 14:16 by NickHawkeye
    I set up a bunch of gaming sessions, even though the calendar doesn't even show this game for some reason. here they are. if you have a time that doesn't match these let me know and i'll see what we can do. Times are my local time GMT-6 US Central. I can add more if there is enough interest.

13 Apr at 16:00 - Hasbro Family Game Night for 1 hour
    *Session Deleted*

16 Apr at 05:00 - Hasbro Family Game Night for 1 hour
    Boosting Gaming Session for Hasbro Family Game Night

17 Apr at 05:00 - Hasbro Family Game Night for 1 hour

17 Apr at 15:00 - Hasbro Family Game Night for 1 hour

18 Apr at 05:00 - Hasbro Family Game Night for 1 hour

18 Apr at 15:00 - Hasbro Family Game Night for 1 hour
    *Session Deleted*

30 Apr at 15:00 - Hasbro Family Game Night for 2 hours
  • Posted on 12 April 12 at 16:00
    It is pretty easy to get it with a random game as well. I had no problem finding a random opponent, and they were really good so there wasn't even concern of them quitting out.
    Posted on 13 April 12 at 11:58
    Yeah it was pretty easy to get into a random game, if that many people are still playing this I wonder why they are shutting it down. anyway does anyone know if this also means we wont be able to purchase the other games? jenga etc? I was waiting for them to go on sale again before I got them. so i was just wondering if they are comming off the marketplace as well or just not playable online after April 30th.
  • Posted on 13 April 12 at 12:05, Edited on 13 April 12 at 12:05 by DrSchlepenstein
    NickHawkeye said:
    Yeah it was pretty easy to get into a random game, if that many people are still playing this I wonder why they are shutting it down. anyway does anyone know if this also means we wont be able to purchase the other games? jenga etc? I was waiting for them to go on sale again before I got them. so i was just wondering if they are comming off the marketplace as well or just not playable online after April 30th.
    You can still purchase the other games, just won't be able to play online with them, just local multiplayer.
  • Posted on 13 April 12 at 18:52
    I don't live in North America, but I have an american account. Can't I just buy scrabble and Family game night from the us marketplace and then play it on my european accout?
  • Scoochi2Scoochi2291,075
    Posted on 13 April 12 at 19:41
    if you have a NTSC console, yes.
    Lif is too short.
  • Tasty PastryTasty Pastry368,877
    Posted on 13 April 12 at 19:45
    NickHawkeye said:
    I have also been able to find a game within 1 minute every time I've searched every time I've played this game, including way late at night in North America. This is why I'm so upset; it's clear that this isn't because of lack of interest in playing the MP, but simply because the game got old.
    Use one of the quotes from that thread
  • Brainiac427Brainiac427161,662
    Posted on 25 April 12 at 14:07
    Is the 30th the last day the servers are open, or is the 30th the day they are closed?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.