Walkthroughs Forum

Forum for discussing game walkthroughs

List and Discussion of Published Walkthroughs That Need Improvement

AuthorMessage
Dang3R Gaming
Dang3R Gaming
Posted on 11 June 19 at 20:13
Can get you set up on that tomorrow, will send you a PM when it's sorted.
Shadow Kisuragi
Posted on 11 June 19 at 23:28, Edited on 11 June 19 at 23:28 by Shadow Kisuragi
Flight Control (WP) Walkthrough
Very sparse walkthrough. Solutions provide more information than the walkthrough at this point, though this can probably be said for many early Windows Phone walkthroughs.

For anyone willing to update/fix/rewrite Windows Phone walkthroughs, or looking to work on a Japanese walkthrough, I'd be willing to help as Contributor. Due to extenuating circumstances, I cannot write/submit one myself, but as of now I've completed all but 19 Windows Phone games and have a capture card I can work with.
Dang3R Gaming
Dang3R Gaming
Posted on 12 June 19 at 00:36
Added to the list.
IronInfidel47
IronInfidel47
Posted on 12 June 19 at 00:43, Edited on 12 June 19 at 00:57 by IronInfidel47
I'll hop on this train too; this thing doesn't even have an overseer on it and it really shows. I'll take it now if you'll let me
Dark Souls Walkthrough
---Run-on sentences plague this entire thing; commas are used as periods to make single sentences run on for incessantly long amounts of a page. Better yet, the walkthrough thread is filled with pointing out issues that aren't even related to this.
---Information that could be super useful to early players (that I am aware of) is not in here, so I would add it (getting a flask+ early, etc)
---Things could be arranged in a different order to make things FAR easier. I dunno if you've played DS1 but it makes no sense for a new player to be expected to get through both the Stray Demon and the Great Wolf Sif before hitting Blighttown. Not only that, but it also doesn't make sense to go from the Gaping Dragon to the Stray Demon and Sif if you're already sitting at the entrance to Blighttown at that point.

Additionally, none of the changes brought with the remaster are reflected in the remaster's walkthrough, so I would plan on adding those to that WT as well. I'm working on the DS1 walkthrough on TSA but would love to work on it here as well, as I'd be way more motivated to finish it if it was going to actually be looked at. I'd much rather work on other things here but I need to have some more push to finish DS1.

This walkthrough is not user-friendly. When my roommate got me started on coming back to try to finish this game a few months ago, the walkthrough's current state blew him and I away for how poorly it was structured and how certain ideas just didn't exist.
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 15 June 19 at 09:17
A lot of your issues with the walkthrough seem to be more of a personal preference nature than anything else.

Yes some sentences are long, there is a lot of information and detail to try and convey to the reader. I have made multiple edits and it has been looked over by managers in the past and everybody has been happy with it.

The thread does have a lot of typos etc and I try to get to these when I can but I admit there are sometimes long stretches when I dont make any changes.

Not sure what you're talking about with the +1 to the flask early so I can't really comment on that.

The reason I have players beat Stray Demon early is because it is an extremely easy and predictable boss and by that point in the game it shouldnt be an issue for most people. Theres no real perfect time to fight Sif, I dont think there's anything wrong with the timing for fighting Sif in the walkthrough.

I have players go from Gaping Dragon to Stray Demon etc and then go to Blighttown because the alternate entrance to Blighttown through shortcuts is much easier to navigate than the standard entrance through The Depths.

I'm playing through the remastered version on and off myself and have been using my own walkthrough to get through it and I haven't had any issues with it. I'm not sure what changes to the remaster you are talking about that need to be added but if you bring them up in the specific walkthrough forum then I'm happy to listen to them.

Overall I'm happy with the walkthrough and I think most people are too. It has 250+ thumbs up, more than any of my other walkthroughs and I get messages every now and then from users who tell me how much the walkthrough helped them finish the game so it really can't be that bad.

At the end of the day you have to remember that these walkthroughs are created by volunteers. We aren't people who write for a living so of course they aren't always going to be works of perfection.
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 15 June 19 at 11:02
I used that walkthrough as soon as it came out (By chance, I didn't realise it until later) and a part from some spelling and grammar errors there was nothing wrong with it. I found the game very easy going by that guide.
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
Nomstuff
Nomstuff
Posted on 15 June 19 at 18:28
This should really be brought up in the Wts threads first if the Author is still active
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 16 June 19 at 21:46
The Dark Souls walkthrough is fantastic.

Apart from the bits of grammar /spelling we all let slip through, it's a very complete and informative body of work.

I think for any one to come in and say "give this to me to sort out" is unnecessarily narcissistic, especially when the author is still active.
"I gotta be honest, entering a bunch of 25 character codes to have gear spit out of the magic box kinda sucks" - Rista B
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 16 June 19 at 21:48
HarpCity said:
The Escapists: The Walking Dead Walkthrough has very long, wordy paragraphs.

Furthermore, some parts weren’t very specific on how to actually progress with the story, but I likely struggled with this because it was my first time playing a game from “the escapists” series.

I’d be willing to edit this, along with adding images of collectible locations.
I like long, wordy paragraphs! But screenshots would be nice.
"I gotta be honest, entering a bunch of 25 character codes to have gear spit out of the magic box kinda sucks" - Rista B
IronInfidel47
IronInfidel47
Posted on 16 June 19 at 22:47
x Mataeus x said:
The Dark Souls walkthrough is fantastic.

Apart from the bits of grammar /spelling we all let slip through, it's a very complete and informative body of work.

I think for any one to come in and say "give this to me to sort out" is unnecessarily narcissistic, especially when the author is still active.
Yeah I wrote my thing in a foul mood and not in the best mindset, but these excuses don't make up for things and my deleting/editing it would not be transparent. I apologize to anyone who has been irritated by it. That said, Nom has stated that this kind of stuff should belong in the WT thread, so hopefully this puts it to rest.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.