TA Playlist Forum

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

Darksiders Discussion - Spoilers

AuthorMessage
Eurydace
429,520
Eurydace
Posted on 01 May 17 at 00:34, Edited on 19 May 17 at 04:09 by N0T PENNYS B0AT
More detailed and specific questions and comments go here. Treat this thread like everyone here is okay knowing and discussing anything about Darksiders. No need for spoiler tags.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 01 May 17 at 09:39
That first boss in the opening of the game... every time he grabbed the street you fight on I got hit because I was waiting to watch him fling us into the air. I was disappointed cry
kintaris
216,930
kintaris
Posted on 02 May 17 at 23:47
One thing I wanted to say in the spoiler area, though for all I know it's on the back of the box: I really like the concept that Armageddon was triggered early and you're being framed for it. I thought that was an interesting narrative hook. I mean, you can't be framed for much bigger a crime than that! It also lends a strange hopeless air to the game. You can't undo what has been done (it seems, so far) and the world of man is long dead.

I'm quite disappointed that the game has failed to capitalise on that strong story concept, instead just going for an incredibly generic fantasy trope (defeat the guardians, break the seals, yadda yadda). The fact that War is a characterless husk doesn't help, but if the plot had focused more on gradually piecing together clues rather than just going after Ganon The Destroyer it really could have elevated the narrative.
BetaSigX20
184,035
BetaSigX20
Posted on 03 May 17 at 13:54
Took a while, but I finally unlocked
DarksidersAerial PredatorThe Aerial Predator achievement in Darksiders worth 48 pointsKill 160 enemies while on the angelic beast

last night. I swear I played through that section a dozen times before I finally popped it. Reading up on it, apparently it used to be a lot easier because you could paint more than 5 or so enemies at a time, and I could definitely see how that would help.

I'm glad there's an "enemies killed" counter available on the stats screen. I think that made the difference between this achievement feeling like a good challenge rather than a pain in the ass. If I would have been playing through over and over again with no idea how close I was, I probably would've gotten frustrated and moved on.

Being able to keep track with the counter, though, I could see, okay, I just need 10 more kills next time... 5 more... etc., which made me more eager to go back through it until I got it done. It was still a bit frustrating (especially the time I got through with 159 kills -- just one short), but I don't have a problem with achievements being challenging. It felt really good when that one finally popped.
kintaris
216,930
kintaris
Posted on 03 May 17 at 17:07
BetaSigX20 said:
Took a while, but I finally unlocked
DarksidersAerial PredatorThe Aerial Predator achievement in Darksiders worth 48 pointsKill 160 enemies while on the angelic beast

last night. I swear I played through that section a dozen times before I finally popped it. Reading up on it, apparently it used to be a lot easier because you could paint more than 5 or so enemies at a time, and I could definitely see how that would help.

I'm glad there's an "enemies killed" counter available on the stats screen. I think that made the difference between this achievement feeling like a good challenge rather than a pain in the ass. If I would have been playing through over and over again with no idea how close I was, I probably would've gotten frustrated and moved on.

Being able to keep track with the counter, though, I could see, okay, I just need 10 more kills next time... 5 more... etc., which made me more eager to go back through it until I got it done. It was still a bit frustrating (especially the time I got through with 159 kills -- just one short), but I don't have a problem with achievements being challenging. It felt really good when that one finally popped.
I missed it by one kill on my second try. Might have had a little tantrum. Luckily got it on the third after I'd calmed down.
kintaris
216,930
kintaris
Posted on 03 May 17 at 23:45
So I've got as far as Tiamat. Man, those Crossblade controls are a bit of a mess. I don't understand why so many actions are involved or why it's mapped counter-intuitively. Holding down cn_RT while in free aim should automatically paint targets you pass over in my opinion, as it does in the on-rails sequence. Throwing cn_LT into the mix to select targets feels cumbersome, especially since that's already mapped as an camera button of sorts when you're not in free aim. Makes things unnecessarily frustrating in a more complex fight.

Generally though I'm upgrading the experience from a 1 star to a tentative 2. Story is still pants, but I'm more engaged in the gameplay than I was in the first hour.
spankyNspronkle
Posted on 04 May 17 at 15:43
kintaris said:
BetaSigX20 said:
Took a while, but I finally unlocked
DarksidersAerial PredatorThe Aerial Predator achievement in Darksiders worth 48 pointsKill 160 enemies while on the angelic beast

last night. I swear I played through that section a dozen times before I finally popped it. Reading up on it, apparently it used to be a lot easier because you could paint more than 5 or so enemies at a time, and I could definitely see how that would help.

I'm glad there's an "enemies killed" counter available on the stats screen. I think that made the difference between this achievement feeling like a good challenge rather than a pain in the ass. If I would have been playing through over and over again with no idea how close I was, I probably would've gotten frustrated and moved on.

Being able to keep track with the counter, though, I could see, okay, I just need 10 more kills next time... 5 more... etc., which made me more eager to go back through it until I got it done. It was still a bit frustrating (especially the time I got through with 159 kills -- just one short), but I don't have a problem with achievements being challenging. It felt really good when that one finally popped.
I missed it by one kill on my second try. Might have had a little tantrum. Luckily got it on the third after I'd calmed down.
Nice work! I am still trying... Played it 4x last night and each time I was north of 140, but no quite there. Hoping I get it tonight. If not, I'll just move on and come back later since I have the save just before the gate on a different slot.

I actually thought it would be fairly easy as I didn't have a hard time with Crimson Dragon and it's essentially an entire game of this one segment.
Terrene Fire
228,666
Terrene Fire
Posted on 04 May 17 at 17:58
spankyNspronkle said:
kintaris said:
BetaSigX20 said:
Took a while, but I finally unlocked
DarksidersAerial PredatorThe Aerial Predator achievement in Darksiders worth 48 pointsKill 160 enemies while on the angelic beast

last night. I swear I played through that section a dozen times before I finally popped it. Reading up on it, apparently it used to be a lot easier because you could paint more than 5 or so enemies at a time, and I could definitely see how that would help.

I'm glad there's an "enemies killed" counter available on the stats screen. I think that made the difference between this achievement feeling like a good challenge rather than a pain in the ass. If I would have been playing through over and over again with no idea how close I was, I probably would've gotten frustrated and moved on.

Being able to keep track with the counter, though, I could see, okay, I just need 10 more kills next time... 5 more... etc., which made me more eager to go back through it until I got it done. It was still a bit frustrating (especially the time I got through with 159 kills -- just one short), but I don't have a problem with achievements being challenging. It felt really good when that one finally popped.
I missed it by one kill on my second try. Might have had a little tantrum. Luckily got it on the third after I'd calmed down.
Nice work! I am still trying... Played it 4x last night and each time I was north of 140, but no quite there. Hoping I get it tonight. If not, I'll just move on and come back later since I have the save just before the gate on a different slot.

I actually thought it would be fairly easy as I didn't have a hard time with Crimson Dragon and it's essentially an entire game of this one segment.
I managed it once i stopped trying to paint the little bugs and just rapid fired into them- maybe give that a try :)
BetaSigX20
184,035
BetaSigX20
Posted on 04 May 17 at 20:21
Terrene Fire said:
I managed it once i stopped trying to paint the little bugs and just rapid fired into them- maybe give that a try :)
I could never tell if I was hitting the little bugs or not that way, so I always painted those. Just tried to paint the first five or so to come along, unload, then another batch, unload, etc. If there are any bats or other larger enemies hanging around, try to save those for later, and get the bugs first.

The big enemies, though (the shield angels, the ones that shoot missiles, and the large Balrog-looking thing), those you can dispatch much more quickly with single-fire, to free yourself up for painting the next batch to come along.
JENDORF
409,926
JENDORF
Posted on 04 May 17 at 20:43
I've played both versions on the 360, and I'm playing through this game on the One now. The one thing I was really let down by was that they took out the option to put in a cheat code and get the scythe for free.
Sliktor
422,035
Sliktor
Posted on 05 May 17 at 06:52
Well, I'm currently watching a rubber band force my poor horse to run across a bridge over and over again. I'm currently supposed to be finding pieces of a super sword, but apparently that marks a no return point so I'm finishing the rest of the misc stuff now. Leveling up those weapons is so boring though, at least the horse part I can idle.
kintaris
216,930
kintaris
Posted on 06 May 17 at 00:17
Ulthane is a fairly fun character, but so far he's the only one.

A lot of this game feels like a PS2 era action platformer like Jak & Daxter or Prince of Persia, but replacing precision platforming and mini games with... well, non-precision platforming and slightly grindy RPG weapon levelling. There's something like a good game in here, but it keeps getting lost in the generic environments and a lack of direction.

The Drowned Pass and Hollows areas, where you find Griever, are prime examples of this. When you're doing the kill count mini game with Ulthane, it feels like the game has just kicked up a notch; the area in which you meet him is a lush overgrowth on top of old ruins, not unlike Enslaved. His banter is fairly fun and the minigame itself is a pace change. As soon as that's done with though, we're right back into utterly generic post apocalyptic underground tunnels, pushing bits of crap around and throwing switches for no discernible reason in a dingy basement. The Griever battle is particularly tedious. I don't really expect the Horseman of War to spend his time repeatedly nudging a train carriage bed into an overgrown scorpion. Nothing about War's journey feels as epic as it should, given the circumstances in which he finds himself.

And yet there is the spirit of a decent action-platformer buried in there somewhere. It's quite fun to smack foes around, and backtracking to find new treasures with each new bit of kit is a reasonably fun distraction too. I just wish the game would work out what it wants to be and stick with it.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 06 May 17 at 03:00
I envy how much closer to the end you are, Sam.
kintaris
216,930
kintaris
Posted on 06 May 17 at 08:07
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
I envy how much closer to the end you are, Sam.
I completely failed to participate with Alan Wake, and I'm away from home for the second half of this month - so I'm forcing myself to power through laugh

Also, much as I hate to say it, IGN's walkthrough is helping immensely to get it done quickly. Our guide is pretty good but it doesn't cover the puźzles, plus the collectibles could really do with being integrated into the Story Walkthrough.
Sliktor
422,035
Sliktor
Posted on 06 May 17 at 23:22
And.....complete! That Abyssal Armor makes Apocalyptic difficulty a cakewalk. Died a ton on Easy and not a single death this time around. Whole completion took me 20 hours. With about 3 hours of that spent grinding weapon levels and miles on my horse. Wasn't a terrible game by any means, though the story was underwhelming given the circumstances surrounding it.

Mostly enjoyed the gameplay, had an ongoing issue where I would jump to late and just walk off the ledge instead. Wish the game would have allowed me to use that second jump. Also, as kintaris mentioned previous, the crossblade aiming nonsense drove me nuts and made several of the puzzles, including the Tiamat boss fight, more annoying than they should been.
kintaris
216,930
kintaris
Posted on 07 May 17 at 03:27
Sliktor said:
And.....complete! That Abyssal Armor makes Apocalyptic difficulty a cakewalk. Died a ton on Easy and not a single death this time around. Whole completion took me 20 hours. With about 3 hours of that spent grinding weapon levels and miles on my horse. Wasn't a terrible game by any means, though the story was underwhelming given the circumstances surrounding it.

Mostly enjoyed the gameplay, had an ongoing issue where I would jump to late and just walk off the ledge instead. Wish the game would have allowed me to use that second jump. Also, as kintaris mentioned previous, the crossblade aiming nonsense drove me nuts and made several of the puzzles, including the Tiamat boss fight, more annoying than they should been.
Good to know the Apocalyptic run isn't too bad. I crashed ahead to finish off the story on Easy, but I have a good save point to finish off weapon levelling and running around on the horse should I ever go back for the completion. Not sure I will any time soon.

Overall, a mediocre experience. Gameplay was mostly fun in a mindless way, and the horse combat was surprisingly slick (The whole Ashlands section was fun, even if the boss was pretty much a carbon copy of one from Shadow of the Colossus). I was not impressed with the interminably long dungeon ripping off Portal and royally botching up the controls at that. The story continued to be underwhelming throughout, with a constant sense that we're supposed to share the characters' awe at artefacts and events that haven't been explained to us ("Not... THE MASK OF SHADOWS!!!"). While the ending was extremely predictable, the last few cutscenes were slightly more tolerably written than the majority of the rest of the game. Even Mark Hamill's performance seemed to get better.

Achievements wise, I really think the grinding was a misstep. There's simply not enough content here to justify it and slogging through those weapon levels only highlights the game's repetitive nature.

I know I've only played on Easy, but even so the difficulty progession was all over the place. The whole game got progessively easier, especially in terms of both mini and major bosses. Stygian, Straga and the Destroyer were a walk in the park, I barely lost any health - whereas in the early game I died several times just against regular enemies. It robbed what little tension was left in the finale after all the poor writing, to suspect that if I just mash the dash and smack buttons until the credits I should be fine.

I just think for something so mythic in its plot and context, the game either needed to be about 200% more atmospheric and mature in tone a la Dark Souls or Shadow of the Colossus, or it needed to be drenched in lore and world building like a proper RPG. Without either a heart or a brain, Darksiders could only ever be average at best for me.

I'm intrigued to perhaps one day play Darksiders II as I do own it, but frankly at this point the only way I'll consider it is if Darksiders III turns out to be an incredible step up in quality and a must-have when it arrives. I really dislike playing games out of sequence so I'll be compelled to fill in the gap.

Now I really, really need to go to bed.
Chaos Trance
65,778
Chaos Trance
Posted on 07 May 17 at 06:33
Completed my normal run with all the achievements so I just have to do hard mode with the Abyssal Armour, It was kind of fun and I do see the zelda comparrisons (although I only played a bit of Ocarina of time on my brother's N64 so take my expert oppinion with a pinch of salt).

The characters were all to bland for me despite having some really talented voice actors Mark Hamill as the Watcher is good performance but I don't think that at the end of the game it comes as any real suprise he was going to betray War the entire time. Liam O'Brien as War is just dull to the point where the only thing even slightly interesting about the character is that it's the same guy who does Gara's voice.

The collectibles didn't feel like such a drag this time compared to Alan Wake because at least they had some in game benefit to them.

Overall the combat was simple but not unenjoyable, the story while it had promise was bland, the design while at first I thought was brilliant quickly became stale, the characters also bland at the end I wouldn't have cared if all of them died.

While not the worst game I've played before I don't think I will be checking out the rest of series unless darksiders 3 has had some massive improvements which to be fair Fury showed more personality in the one trailer than War did the game.
ChewieOnIce
346,730
ChewieOnIce
Posted on 08 May 17 at 14:43, Edited on 08 May 17 at 14:43 by ChewieOnIce
I've made a solid start on this now and am a few hours in, about to face Tiamat. So far, so meh. I don't find it bad but nothing particularly stands out as great either. It's a perfectly serviceable action game with a peppering of RPG elements and puzzling sprinkled throughout.

The story is operatic post-apocalyptic tripe that feels like it takes itself a bit too seriously. It needs more crazy wow moments and/or levity to elevate it above turgid drudge. War is absolutely a bland character, which doesn't help, but then so are nearly all of them I've encountered so far, and the setting and environments are nothing special. They could have done a lot more with the apocalyptic earth levels. Gameplay works but is fairly repetitive. Although I'm unlocking new moves, I'm not really using many of them, mostly sticking to the same old combos. Though, I tend to do that in most games anyway.

It feels like the game equivalent of a pretty ok B movie: something to watch on a Saturday night with a beer and a pizza for an ok time, but not something you'll go telling everyone about the next day. I'm enjoying it for what it is and will be going for the completion, but I doubt it'll stick long in the memory.
@ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
Chaos Trance
65,778
Chaos Trance
Posted on 08 May 17 at 16:02
Finished up the completion yesterday the Abyssal amour makes it easier than normal was and without having to worry about collectibles my Hard mode run came to about seven hours so nothing to painful in the long run.

I didn't hate my time with this but still nothing stuck out, While the game wasn't bad I don't think I'd go out of my way to recomend it to anyone.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 08 May 17 at 16:56
I just handed off the last of the four hearts. How many more hours do I have?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.