Game Discussion: Prey Forum

Prey Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 11 May 17 at 17:01
Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
Ace Phoenyx
Ace Phoenyx
Posted on 11 May 17 at 21:47
I feel like the site needs a second classification of the Horror genre called "shooter horror". I wouldn't necessarily call this survival horror but it definitely has horror elements attached and is meant to be a suspenseful game.
ChinDocta
ChinDocta
Posted on 12 May 17 at 00:15
Horror is a theme not a genre. Same as Sci-Fi or Medieval.
ChinDocta
ChinDocta
Posted on 12 May 17 at 02:33
Survival Horror is a well established genre across generations of platforms and conveys more to the user about the gameplay elements than just saying "It's a scary survival game". Adding Horror as a genre doesn't add information about the gameplay.

A Horror-Tower Defence game for example may feature scary towers or scary things to kill but it's still the exact same gameplay as any other tower defence game. A Horror-FPS may feature scary things to kill but it's still no different in gameplay terms to any other FPS.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 12 May 17 at 06:04
Heraizen said:
Then why is Survival Horror a genre on TA?.
Why can't you comprehend basic things?
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 12 May 17 at 21:08
The game is basically System Shock 2. These games aren't really meant to be scary, survival games. They're more tense, nerve inducing experiences. It's designed to produce a sense of careful motion and paranoia. Makes me think more of the feelings caused by playing a good stealth game like Thief than Silent Hill.

ChinDocta said:
Survival Horror is a well established genre across generations of platforms and conveys more to the user about the gameplay elements than just saying "It's a scary survival game". Adding Horror as a genre doesn't add information about the gameplay.
While I agree that "horror" isn't a genre I think at some point we do need some form of separation in the horror genre. You have stuff like Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 where they're more action oriented games that are still scary, tense, whatever. Then you have stuff like Outlast where you can't even fight back and the horror element is about powerlessness. Calling both of these survival horror seems... off.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Ackter
Ackter
Posted on 13 May 17 at 09:55
There is nothing Survival Horror about this game either.
ChinDocta
ChinDocta
Posted on 13 May 17 at 10:48
Its not a survival horror, its an FPS. It just happened that a horror/survival horror discussion occurred in this thread.
Snitty 1
Snitty 1
Posted on 27 May 17 at 01:38
This game is a First Person Shooter but doesn't appear on the Shooter list yet, is this just an oversight?
Information Posted on 18 June 17 at 16:43
IDarK VorteXX has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Should be Action -RPG, FPS.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 19 June 17 at 13:44
I know the game has RPG elements, but could additional information be provided as to why they rise to the level of this site's RPG definition? If we tag Action-RPG we'll have to tag Role Playing as well (and so that's the definition I'm evaluating and questioning if this has *enough* elements to warrant the tag). Thanks!
Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 19 June 17 at 18:48
I didn't register that disagreement obviously but I would have to assume it's due to the following:
* Side quests.
* A level up mechanic.
* Inventory and equippable items.

That said there's a lot of stuff that's RPG-ish but I wouldn't call it an RPG.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 19 July 17 at 15:14
Not enough I think. Clown has also indicated he cannot support the tag with the features as they are. No change being made, thanks.
Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
Information Posted on 15 April 19 at 12:25
Sashamorning has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Action Horror, maybe Metroidvania. Not an RPG. Definitely horror, not stealth, abundant weapons, etc. Open world, lots of backtracking through previously closed areas, upgrading abilities to get into areas. Not so much platforming, but reminds me a lot of the Arkham Asylum world design.

It's supposed to be System Shock. Not nearly as good.
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 03 May 19 at 03:09
We decided to keep things as-is for this game
CoryG900
CoryG900
Posted on 30 August 19 at 21:47
FPS / Action-RPG.. was actually surprised it had such a generic genre
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.