Game Discussion: Alan Wake Forum

Alan Wake being delisted from Xbox Store May 15th

AuthorMessage
PalZer0
PalZer0
Posted on 12 May 17 at 13:33
Got the word on this via Remedy's Twitter account.
Kedrix
Kedrix
Posted on 12 May 17 at 14:48
Yep, I posted it on my BC page, and Kotaku posted it as well. A darn shame...I have it on disc but I never bothered redeeming my copy that came with Quantum Break, I reckon I will this weekend. Gotta love those licensed music games. :(.
Michael Durr Gamertag: Kedrix www.kedrix.net
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 12 May 17 at 17:25
Damn, and CDKeys is out of stock.
Tatl360
Tatl360
Posted on 12 May 17 at 17:40
The music industry strikes again!

Downloading the DLC (and it's free) from the marketplace. I have in disc too but didn't started seriously yet. =|

Remember, there are achievements for the DLC!!
PalZer0
PalZer0
Posted on 13 May 17 at 17:37
Yeah the music industry really needs to evolve when it comes to digital distribution.
Living Legends
Posted on 13 May 17 at 17:51
PalZer0 said:
Yeah the music industry really needs to evolve when it comes to digital distribution.
The music industry is about money as any other industry. Every time a song gets played on a commercial or movie, they had to ask for the rights and pay for it. The same goes if you work under a contract, once your contract is up you don't show up to work for free.
PalZer0
PalZer0
Posted on 14 May 17 at 09:49, Edited on 14 May 17 at 09:51 by PalZer0
Living Legends said:
The music industry is about money as any other industry. Every time a song gets played on a commercial or movie, they had to ask for the rights and pay for it. The same goes if you work under a contract, once your contract is up you don't show up to work for free.
Nobody's disputing that there needs to be licensing in place (artists deserve to get paid for their work after all). I'm just saying that the licensing model needs to evolve when it comes to digital distribution of games because as we've seen with this and Rockstar just yanking the problematic music out of GTA San Andreas on Steam (without prior notice mind you) via a game patch, it's the consumer who ends up losing out (and this sort of thing is only going to happen more and more).

Now I don't know what this evolution would entail since these licensing contracts are never made public and I'm not a lawyer but something definitely needs to change.
Tatl360
Tatl360
Posted on 14 May 17 at 15:44
Yes the problem is not they earning what they deserve for their work.
IMO the problem is how they get the contracts in a manner they tie the publishers so tight, some publishers just give up.

I mean, you really need to use such practices in a game? Nobody is buying the game because of the music. The music adds value, of course, but the music in a game is not a reason to make people stop consuming the music in other means, like digital stores.
Nobody is booting the game to listen to one music. The digital shift in the consumers habits prove that. People purchase content for convenience and using a game to listen is not practical.
This seems like just another "my lawyers are better than yours" thing.

I'm ok in something like showing the consumer how cool they are for doing some perpetual licenses for games, for example. Perhaps in a digital future with massive licensing expiration such consumer education is put in practice. I doubt it though, they will choose the easier solution, which should be renewing only profitable content and apologizing for the lost/put on hold "unpopular" content.
But in the end of the day consumer perception is not popular even among consumers. People will just follow trends.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.