Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

The Surge Review

• EurydaceEurydace652,644
    Posted on 16 May 17 at 23:42
    Sci-fi Souls? Dark Surge? Surging Souls?

Please click here to read the story: The Surge Review
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm652,917
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 00:12
    Thanks for a great review. My pre-ordered copy came a couple of hours ago. The science fiction setting and brighter color palette should make this an interesting variation on the Souls theme.
  • KanchanaburiKanchanaburi1,329,195
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 00:33
    If this is supposed to be RPG and has Limited RPG elements with no character customization, how can it get 4 out of 5 when it doesn't live up to what it's supposed to be?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 17 May 17 at 00:36
    This game is probably better than Deathtrap.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 17 May 17 at 00:46
    Kanchanaburi said:
    If this is supposed to be RPG and has Limited RPG elements with no character customization, how can it get 4 out of 5 when it doesn't live up to what it's supposed to be?
    I was thinking the same thing.
  • KBop a dooKBop a doo415,467
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 00:55
    Kanchanaburi said:
    Probably because of all the other strong positive qualities it has? The ones mentioned in the review?
  • EurydaceEurydace652,644
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 01:11
    Kanchanaburi said:
    CounterInsurgnt said:
    Kanchanaburi said:
    Because it succeeds at everything else it tries to be. And the RPG elements are there - they're just limited in ways that I wish they weren't. I don't assign values to positives and negatives, but that complaint definitely affected the score to some degree. But if what you're after is difficult, varied combat and that thrill when you defeat a hard enemy, this game is going to deliver on that 100%. That's why it got the score it did.
  • Swinny CostelloSwinny Costello1,258,407
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 01:39
    Deck13 burned me with game-breaking bugs in Venetica - but massively impressed me with how good Lords of the Fallen was.

The solution? Hold off until a possible first patch :P
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

• UnrehearsedUnrehearsed1,028,677
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 05:01
    Good review but you don't answer the most important question: how does it really compare to LotF, since it is from the same dev it should only be natural to draw a comparison.
  • IsThisDustinIsThisDustin163,387
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 06:42
    CounterInsurgnt said:
    Kanchanaburi said:
    Eventually you will learn that the score is completely irrelevant to the Pros and Cons that are listed. Cause screw consistency.
  • KBop a dooKBop a doo415,467
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 06:55, Edited on 17 May 17 at 08:55 by KBop a doo
    Outsider Fenix said:
    CounterInsurgnt said:
    Kanchanaburi said:
    Eventually you will learn that the score is completely irrelevant to the Pros and Cons that are listed. Cause screw consistency.
    The pros and cons section just gives a general overview of some of the major positives and negatives. If reviewers were to list every positive and negative of a game, the list would be 20 pages long. The full review is where the score comes from -- which most people don't bother reading, it seems -- not from the tiny pros and cons section at the bottom. Also, it goes without saying that some carry more weight than others... three positives plus one negative doesn't automatically equal a 3.5 score or what have you. "The game crashes constantly" is obviously a heavier complaint than something like "Some animations are off."

If a game could be so easily summed up in a couple bullet points, there wouldn't be much point to writing an entire review smile
  • PHT999PHT9991,422,716
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 08:02
    Great review, I'll look forward to this one
  • AlahertAlahert2,892,777
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 08:48
    Nice review!
  • Daelus1Daelus11,032,288
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 10:31, Edited on 17 May 17 at 10:32 by Daelus1
    Outsider Fenix said:
    Couldn't agree more; I love this site, but if you are here for the Review scores prepare to be disappointed as these boys follow the trend. Don't get me wrong, their reviews themselves are mostly good (Kevin would be one of the better ones), but the scores are more politics than sincerity.

This game looks like a joke, but it is praised for the setting.....it is supposed to be an RPG, but isn't (despite Kevin's attempted walkback in the comments)...it's supposed to be a DS clone, but bosses....lmao....I would never pick this up (and I have 100% all DS games and LotF), but am happy if better-rounded gamers enjoy it.
  • AckterAckter336,552
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 10:45
    I'd argue it's not meant to be an RPG at all. It's an action game with RPG elements in it. The style is obviously Dark Souls-influenced, but it's not trying to be another Dark Souls.

Take the game for what it is, rather than what you think it should be, and it's excellent.
  • Posted on 17 May 17 at 10:58
    When did people start expecting character creation in RPGs? That is not a staple of the genre. It's kind of specific to certain types of RPGs. I don't understand dedicating an entire paragraph to it. though it's obviously worth a mention.

Ackter said:
    I'd argue it's not meant to be an RPG at all. It's an action game with RPG elements in it. The style is obviously Dark Souls-influenced, but it's not trying to be another Dark Souls. Take the game for what it is, rather than what you think it should be, and it's excellent.
    It's fully meant to be an RPG exactly like Dark Souls, just like Lords of the Fallen was, just sci-fi instead of dark fantasy.
  • AckterAckter336,552
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 11:10
    All of the RPG elements are based on the suit you wear rather than your character.

(Remember that they used to claim Lords of the Fallen wasn't trying to be a Dark Souls clone, but that's another thing altogether...)
  • Azrael008ukAzrael008uk313,808
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 11:44
    Daelus1 said:
    This game looks like a joke, but it is praised for the setting.....it is supposed to be an RPG, but isn't (despite Kevin's attempted walkback in the comments)...it's supposed to be a DS clone, but bosses....lmao....I would never pick this up (and I have 100% all DS games and LotF), but am happy if better-rounded gamers enjoy it.
    Actually this game looks pretty good and more and more people are starting to notice. It's XBox ONE Metacritic has actually risen to 79 from when it launched yesterday. My copy should be waiting for me when I get home and I'm really looking forward to it.
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19772,102,324
    Posted on 17 May 17 at 11:59
    Thanks for the review, it looks okay, but not sure it has enough to interest me. That said, I enjoyed the combat on Dark Souls immensely, and the game itself, I am just not sure it should be classed as hard....and certainly not praised for it.

In my opinion, simply making you trek through the same segments over and over again as you learn how to deal with a boss isn't hard...it's just frustrating and repetitive. Without that element and the ridiculous lack of pause the game would have been great.
    Legohead 1977
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads